1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Root canal...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by greatwhale, Oct 22, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just came back this morning from my third visit to the dentist. He has been working on the same three-root molar at the back of my jaw and there are at least another couple of visits to go...ugh!

It seems the root canals are quite calcified and there has been some damage from the initial infection. Anyway, I wouldn't call it torture, but...

Any of you out there had to endure this? I sooo can't wait to get this done already! :bang:

2. Really

Nope. Sorry. I've got happy teeth. Hope yours turn out ok. Maybe you should wear one of those cartoon toothache bandages. :•

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had two root canals done. They weren't fun, but they weren't too hard.

One was a result of a playground injury. I fell flat on my face and hit a log. If I hadn't had braces at the time, the fall would have knocked the tooth out. So, that save the tooth in the sense it's still in my jaw, but everything went necrotic, so they had to root it. :frowning2:

Then back a couple of years ago, I had a molar just spontaneously die. :frowning2:

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've had teeth pulled, but never a root canal. Thankfully, these teeth are near the back, so, they don't exactly get noticed.

The most stressful part, is the waiting, to be called back. Because you wait, and nothing you really do, seems to help. Then the walk to the back. And the needles in the gums, while not painful, are annoying.

After that, though, it isn't too bad. I've gotten quite used to it, to be honest.

There is some incredible-feeling medication, they provide. I had my dentist, cracking up, because I kept singing about the Magic School Bus, LOL.

5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. I've had two root canals.

The first was done in two sessions. I was in a lot of pain when I went, so I was just happy to get the anaesthetic. Didn't feel anything during that session, but the second session... wow. There are no words for the kind of pain I endured. (It was done without anestaethic, because apparently you're not supposed to need one when they finish it. Boy did I need one. Or ten.) I've been afraid of dentists ever since.

The second root canal didn't hurt at all. My dentist knew how frantically scared I was, so she pretty much sedated my entire face (not kidding - I couldn't even blink in a normal way), and did it all in one session. I was so scared and was so cramped up throughout the entire visit, an hour and a half, that my muscles were sore for days afterwards.

Root canals are a nightmare.

6. shinji

shinji Guest

Had a similar situation. Went mostly without a problem in the span of two visits. No anesthesia, some drilling to get to the nerves, some liquid adrenaline, some arsenic (or so i think it was...), closed that bad boy up and sent me home.

Took like, a day for the thing to do it's job, woke up, felt pain, went there she removed the thingies, started tinkering with some strange needle like thingies, hurt like a mothertrucker... then she started putting stuff inside, and *poof* no more pain.

I'm thinking, can't you just ask for them "gas" anestesias?! Like... they have those in the fancy hospitals, right?

7. I got only one root canal. They only numbed the area but the dentist was pretty nice and it didn't hurt at all.