1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, I'm depressed and I want to cut

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Batmanishere, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Batmanishere

I've been clean for about a month, but I've been so tempted to cut lately. Sometimes I barely even have the energy to smile at my friends, talk to my parents. I've been happier lately, but the blade holds a certain appeal to me as of late. I'm terrified of cutting, I hate the way people look at my cuts. I hate putting neosporin on them and pulling down my sleeves to cover up the fact that I lost control. I really want to cut. I really want to give into my depression. Please give me a reason not to give up. Please help me.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    how did it feel when you came out to that one person?

3. DarkestDream

That's a pretty dark hole you're in! Let me give you a light...

Through all your pain...you have a place here where you can be safe. You have many people here who are supportive and caring...guess who they care about? YOU.

With everything you're going through, each day you face, you have the chance to be here for someone else, who may be going through what you're posting here, and needs to hear, 'I MADE IT...so can you'.

I'm not saying it's easy, because I know it's SUPER HARD. One thing I CAN say...I BELIEVE IN YOU.

Maybe right now you can't see it around you, through the things you face in your life, but keep reaching out, don't give in to that temptation, because you are VALUABLE, and very much needed! HANG IN THERE!! (*hug*)(*hug*)

4. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We are not really qualified here...what you need is a good counsellor who is experienced in these issues. If you do not already have one, I hope you can get one asap. Cutting can be risky, as you know.

I see a counsellor weekly myself. Couldn't do without it. Lots of folks need someone to talk through stuff with. It's pretty normal nowadays.

Don't suffer in silence. Depression thrives in isolation. I'm battling it myself at present. You've got to reach out for help. Professional help.

5. Batmanishere

Unfortunately, I am too young to individually seek professional help, and reaching out to my parents is not a step that I am ready to take. You guys are the only ones I think I can talk to right now...

6. Mangaholic

Mangaholic Guest

Don't let yourself lose control! Remind yourself that, deep-down, you are a strong individual who won't let depression control their life. Cutting yourself is only an expression of emotion, it won't make you feel any better. Maybe you should try releasing that emotion in other forms (like writing or something...)

(*hug*)

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried anything short of cutting? There are alternative coping mechanisms that can help (including talking about your feelings to us). It's better to try these things than allow the silent scream of despair to overwhelm you and make you reach for the blade. The blade is not your friend.. we are. The blade harms you.. we care about you. The blade scars you.. we can support you.

You can start by putting the blade out of easy reach so you have to go through a process to get to it. Try that as a start. Then when the darkness comes upon you log on to your profile here and type away about your feelings to buy more time. Don't rush to cut. Will you give it a try?

8. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Hey. I used to self-harm; I didn't cut, but it was just as bad. I've done it for years, and although I've done my best to get over it, I sometimes still fall into that wormhole and contemplate doing it again. Let me just say that you will ALWAYS regret it. Why not try writing about it in a secret diary? That's what I do: write down all of my horrible, dark thoughts about self-harm and so on - and when I'm done, I don't really feel like doing it to myself anymore. Just a thought :grin:

9. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've struggled with self harm in the past and here a few things that have helped me feel better. I don't know if they'll help you but they're worth a try:

• Put on some really upbeat music at full volume and dance around the room until you tire yourself out.

• Put whatever you use to hurt yourself in a cup, fill it with water and put it in the freezer. Every time you want to hurt yourself, you'll have to wait until the ice melts, and by then the urge should have gone away.

• Pamper yourself. Take a warm bubble bath, put on relaxing music and think about things that make you happy.

• Make a photo album on your phone of things that make you happy and people you love and look at it when you feel like hurting yourself.

• Do something relaxing that you enjoy. For me, it's drawing or playing an instrument. I don't know what you like, but find something to do that makes you happy.

• Watch funny or YouTube videos to make you smile.

• Last but not least, I find a post on Tumblr that might help you change your mind (feel free to change the word "he" with the name of someone you love):
    He told me:
    "If you want to cut yourself,
    then you're going to
    take my arm,
    look me in the eyes
    and cut as many times as
    you would yourself."
    I told him:
    "I couldn't hurt you like that."
    And then I understood everything.

Remember that you're cared about. (*hug*)

10. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

Agreed. For me cutting gave me a physical pain thus the mental pain was dulled. I'm 7 months clean and what helps is taking ice cold showers because it's gives me basically the same effect. Whatever frustration you have may not ever go away but there are better ways to let it out.

11. RainbowMan

You mentioned not being able to talk about this with anyone. If you want to talk about it as opposed to posting on the forum, one place that you can call is the Trevor Lifeline at 866-488-7386. They will talk to you, without judgement, about your cutting and they're around 24/7. It's something that they deal with all the time.

One thing that I wanted to ask is what does cutting do for you? If I knew that, I might be able to suggest some alternatives. For instance, if it's because you want to feel something, one thing that you might want to try is just flicking a rubber band against your wrist. That's painful, but not harmful. Another thing that some people have found helpful is to hold an ice cube in your hand, which creates a burning sensation, or as anniebunnie suggested, taking a cold shower could also be helpful.

You're always welcome to PM any member of the staff at any time!

12. antibinary

Try blogging. On the internet you can rant all you like and get sympathy from someone. Plus we're helping you here.

13. Batmanishere

Yes, I thank everyone for responding. I have cut twice since then, but honestly I think I'm on a path of healing. Thank you. You guys are awesome.

14. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please dont hurt yourself cutting is an awful thing. Get some psychiatric help.