1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medication For Anxiety, How does it feel?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by gamergirl689, Nov 14, 2014.

1. gamergirl689

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I'm going to the psychiatrist in 2 weeks for my social anxiety. The psychologist told me their most likely going to prescribe me with medication for my social anxiety.
    Has anyone ever been prescribed with medication for anxiety attacks if so how does it feel? I'm quite curious about it :help:

2. anniesims

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went on meds for social anxiety and depression when I in my early 30's. I can remeber thinking "why didnt I do this a long time ago!" I just felt relaxed and my mind that was usually racing with doubt and paranoia was at ease. It took the edge off of everything that normally controlled my emotions and I could have a conversation with someone... And that was it. No obsessing over if they thought I said something stupid or were judging me. I no longer felt as though my face was on fire and my heart was going to pound out of my chest when I was in a large group of people.

Of course I still had days of self doubt and worry but everyone does The difference was It didnt consume me anymore. Luckily I was put on something that didnt make me feel zoned out or anything and different meds work for different people. Also dont start off on the full dose. Gradually build up to it. I also had a wonderful therapist that helped me for the long haul. If what you are put on at first doesnt seem right to you give it some time but tell the doctor so he/she can find something that is right for you. Good luck!

#2 anniesims, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  3. I am Kakashi

I was put on Vistaril for my Panic Disorder and GAD. It's a very good "starter" med for someone who's never been on anxiety meds before. Tranquilizers like Trazadone and Doxepin are helpful, but they essentially know you the eff out, and really don't help you function in your day to day. Mostly it's just kind of relaxing, but not in the weed/alcohol/ too much Nyquil way. At least for most people. Anything they put you on will be like half-dose for a month or three to see how you do. Just make sure you keep a log of any weird side effects

4. TheStormInside

I'm on citalopram for anxiety and depression. It's an SSRI so something you take every day rather than just for moments of panic. It's helped me *a lot.* For awhile I was on 30mg, but I eventually needed to go up to 40. When I was on 30 I had side effects for the first few weeks but those subsided within a month or so and I didn't have any problems. Now that I'm on a higher dose I think it does make me a little tired, so I take it at night rather than in the morning. Either way, it just kind of helps you manage your stress levels in a more "normal" fashion. Before I was on this I had a lot more days where I just couldn't function because of anxiety or depression. I still get those on occasion but they are much less frequent and less intense. Basically it just makes me "feel" like a more normal person.

People all react differently to medications, so as anniesims said often doctors will put you on a low dose to start to see how you tolerate it, and if you tolerate it well they will gradually up the dosage to a typical dose.

5. kumawool

If it works right, the medication should make you feel calmed and relaxed. In the nursing home I do clinical at, sometimes we give them Ativan if they're in significant distress, and usually they fall asleep. Ativan isn't typically a long term anxiety medication though. You'll want to be careful of side effects - if you find you feel worse after taking your medication, most likely to dose is wrong.

Always ask your doctor :slight_smile:

6. seeking

My med is a savior but i am on a heavy tranquilizer... I stopped taking it everyday now i only take as needed....helps with anxiety, depression, and other issues. But, the med i take is easier to get on than benzos, but it is still up in that region where you have to be pretty deep in a hole to be prescribed. Love it, but can't take it everyday unless i want to just feel like a ghost going through the day.

You know when it is working when you are able to do stuff that you couldn't before. For me that was food. I was able to eat food without my ocd and other issues showing up. I was able to sleep without my anxiety disorders waking me up constantly or keeping me from sleeping. I was able to leave the house. Some doctors will prescribe heavy stuff for daily usuage and then when you feel ready make it a prn. So you can combine what you learn in therapy and having an in an emergency pill ready.

Wish you the best!!!

7. Time Lord10

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I took zoloft once a day for my very severe social anxiety. I had to stop taking it though because it made me sleepy and dizzy during school. When i was on it i still had panic attacks but not as often as before.

Everyone has a different reaction to medications though.

8. gamergirl689

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the info, sounds a lot better than I originally thought it would. I guess I'll have just have to wait now