1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else with chronic illness?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheStormInside, Nov 17, 2014.

1. TheStormInside

It's winter in New England, which means it's the time of year that I get to forget what it's like to be a healthy person. I have a mild immunodeficiency called an IgG2 Deficiency as well as Specific Antibody Deficiency. In the grand scheme of things it's relatively mild, but what it means is I'm more susceptible to viruses that effect the nose/sinus, lungs, ears, and throat because my body doesn't produce the antibodies. When I get a cold (which I have right now) I have it for weeks to a month and it knocks me the heck out. Not just sniffles. And it frequently progresses to a sinus infection. I'm on year-round prophylactic antibiotics but every so often I need to rotate them out for a different type to treat specific infections. It all gets really tiring to deal with as I miss a lot of work, or if I'm able to work can't really manage to do anything else like keep my house clean, cook, or socialize.

Anyway, that is my whining rant. I guess I'm wondering if there's anyone else with chronic illness here, how it affects you, and how you cope when it's "acting up"?

2. Really

Sorry to hear that. Sound rather miserable. Does that mean copious amounts of vitamin C wouldn't help stave off the cold in the first place?

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I have a chronic autoimmune disorder, does that count?

4. TheStormInside

Really- Unfortunately not. Vitamin C's effectiveness in fighting colds is also not really proven, though I do my best to make sure I'm getting my vitamins when I am sick. Sorry, I didn't mean to whine so much, was having a rather miserable day. Things could be a lot worse. In the range of immunological problems mine is on the milder end. There are some things I do to try to prevent colds, I wash my hands pretty much every time I go out, I avoid sick people if I can (which you know, is difficult without becoming a shut in), if I am around someone who is sick I try not to sit near them, and I'll gargle salt water when I am home afterwards. Mainly common sense "how to avoid getting sick" stuff.

Acm- Yes, I would definitely say that counts. Did you want to share anything about it?

5. Really

Don't worry. Didn't sound like whining. I just imagine I would be miserable if I had month-long colds.

Oh no! Don't tell me about the inefficacy of vit.C. I've taken it quite regularly since I've stopped eating red meat (for help with iron absorption) and since then haven't gotten any colds like before. Used to get one massive one per year. Evil sore throat and everything.
    Even if it's all in my head, I'll take it. :}

You'll have to start wearing a surgical mask in public, now. (I don't know about where you are but my doctor's office has them out from for the taking. Which I did but it for doing art. Oops.)

6. kumawool

I just have asthma, which used to mean a yearly trip to the hospital due to lung infections, that crippled me and left me too weak to even crawl.

Today my asthma is mild, though I use my inhalers because my asthma attacks leave me highly uncomfortable - though I doubt my life is in danger from them.

My mother chronically gets pneumonia, which would be helped if she stopped smoking...sigh.

7. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Bah, I get migraine at irregular intervals.
    It's a serious pain, but reducing stress seems to help keep it at bay somewhat.

Doctors have no idea what causes it so far.
    Stress is a huge factor though, that much is certain.

8. I am Kakashi

My most aggravating chronic illness (I have a few -_- ) is irritable bowel syndrome/ possibly Crohn's disease/ maybe Celiac disease.

It's hard not to be TMI with this one, but essentially it's nausea/ vomiting/ diarrhea basically every day. Most people can handle it for like a week (think stomach flu or food poisoning). But it physically and mentally tears you down, and makes you feel hopeless. Sometimes even if I am eating right, exercising, not smoking, etc I STILL get sick. So it's easy to get this mentality of "I'm going to be sick anyway, might as well eat what I want". So it's definitely a struggle. Not to mention every doctor I go to essentially accuses me of bulimia because I have holes in my esophagus and terrible acid reflux from vomiting to often. .___.

Wow, getting that mini-bitchfest out there felt pretty good. Thanks for that! I generally tend to hide when I'm having a bad flare-up so people don't treat me like a freaking invalid.

9. TheStormInside

Really- Well if it helps, then by all means keep taking it :slight_smile: . I haven't gone so far as to go for the surgical mask, though sometimes it doesn't seem like a bad idea :lol: .

kumawool- I'm glad to hear your asthma is better under control now. Those lung infections sound awful so it must be a relief to be rid of them.

Black Raven- That sounds rough. I started taking a very low dose of amitriptyline for sinus pain similar to migraine (but likely caused by my infections) and it's helped a lot. Have you ever tried taking anything for your migraines?

I am Kakashi- I've got IBS, too, though it's mostly under control and has been for awhile thankfully. It's very difficult because not only is it painful but it's incredibly embarrassing, so I feel you :frowning2: . I'm glad that venting helped you a bit, that's pretty much what I was getting at with this thread, and also looking for ways to manage life when your body just doesn't want to perform to the level you wish it would.

Have you been tested for Celiac? And what about Crohns? I'm not sure how Crohns is diagnosed but back when I had a lot of stomach troubles celiac was a simple blood test, though they also do sometimes do some kind of look at or biopsy of the intestines for confirmation. I'm not sure if you've done any kind of elimination diets, either, but I realized awhile back I was lactose intollerant too, which was definitely a trigger for my IBS and removing dairy products has helped me a lot.

10. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Could be worse, really.

They come and go at really irregular intervals.
    Sometimes I have to deal with them for weeks, then on-off for a month, then I'm fine for half a year, until it sneaks back up on me.

It's incredibly exhausting when I -do- get them, I'll admit to that.
    I'm on Sumatriptan, and it has helped so far. Issue is that I can't take too many of those pills.
    And the side effects vary. One time there aren't any, the other I'm sodding high.

How's the amitriptyline working out for you?

11. AnnoNemus

I've got asthma, if that counts. Fortunately, it's been controlled with an inhaled corticosteroid regimen.

12. TheStormInside

Black Raven- Odd. Do you take Sumatriptan as needed, then?
    The amitriptylline works well for me. Before I went on it I had a constant ache in my sinuses/forehead. It felt like I still had an infection, basically, and sometimes it was dull, other times it was intense. The amitriptylline sort of helped it slowly subside, and it has a pleasant side effect of helping me sleep, too.

AnnoNemus- Glad your asthma is well controlled :slight_smile:

13. Acm

Acm Guest

I get hives on practically a daily basis even though I take medication for it. It's usually pretty mild (but really annoying because it itches so much) but sometimes part of my face will swell up. It's confusing though because I have severe food allergies too so I can't always tell if I'm just having regular hives or if I've eaten something bad.

I have asthma too but luckily it hasn't been pretty bad for the past few years. It flares up during weather changes though.

14. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am allergic to something airborne. It's in my room, in my bathroom, in other people's houses. Thankfully, it doesn't cause throat or skin irritation. Instead I start producing phlegm like it's saliva and start sneezing. A lot. One day I went through half a box of Kleenexs. That's 60 sheets, and I usually use one multiple times.

Apart from that, I cannot type, write, make repetitive or constant hand motions for long without feeling pain in my wrists. I cannot write a 3 page essay, I tried once and I had to be hospitalized, I was tearing at my own wrist. That's the first time I cried in 12 years. That condition also causes my handwriting to be the same as when I was 6.

15. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

I have problems with chronic fatigue or possible lyme's. No doctors take me seriously. I can barely wake up in the morning and I don't have enough energy to work or study.

16. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I've been having this headache for about 3 years now. Every second of every day. And I think I can say it has gotten worse.
    Well, how does it affect me? That's a very good question. I think my concentration is just crap now. Because of it I feel like drifting away, I can't think clear.
    Ok, but it could also be mental illness that causes this so I'm not sure.
    But for sure is that pain is a daily aspect of my life. I've gotten so used to it. I can't remember how it was without ache. And even greater is, that painkillers doesn't work. So well great job head. Thanks for hurting. Right now it is exploding. I'm glad I still can type.
    Uh, rant against my head....sorry

17. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have classic migraine with elementary hallucinations and all the "cool" stuff that the brain can do (I.e: parasthesias, vertiginous and other). I have it no more then once a month usually.
    Besides that, I use to somatize the stress so I have stomach ache and head ache oftentimes.

18. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and it took a long time for them to diagnose me. They can only really say for sure that it's CFS when they've done a plethora of tests to rule out everything else. Don't give up, and keep hounding the doctors for a diagnosis.

19. keerschtein

Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a terminal lung disease for 14 years until I got a lung transplant, and am recovering from lymphoma. Most of my life I've been sick, but I look forward to when I'll finally be healthy.

20. tourettesqueen

I have Tourette's pretty severely. I spend a lot of time shouting and repeated things and tapping my feet and flinging my arms up and jerking my head and its a real pain.