1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tonsillectomy tomorrow - eek!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fairybread, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello EC :smilewave

Tomorrow afternoon I'm having a tonsillectomy (operation to remove the tonsils). Now, this will be my first operation, and I'm a bit nervous. I also have to stay in the hospital overnight, which scares me (I am terrified of hospitals).

What should I expect?
    Those of you who have had or know someone who has had their tonsils out:
    How long is it likely to hurt for afterward?
    How long before I can eat solids again? (Ive been told I I should just drink liquid for a while, but for how long?
    Does it hurt much?

The reason I'm having them out is frequent infection that interferes with my daily life. Now they're permanently scarred and enlarged.

Any thoughts?

2. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tonsillectomies are no big deal. It was my first surgery too. I was honestly more scared about getting an IV than the actual surgery, as I have a fear of needles. I too had to spend the night.

I wasnt in much pain. I was more just a little uncomfortable, but I was also on some high pain meds while in the hospital.

Your throat may be sore or uncomfortable for a few days but you wont be fully healed for about a couple of weeks. After a few days you will probably forget about being uncomfortable and just annoyed by the fact that you are eating the same mushy food day after day. My menu consisted mostly of Mashed Potatoes, macaroni covered in olive oil, jello, and soup. Try to avoid dairy as much as possible, like milk and ice cream and cheese. Dairy can actually irritate the wound. An all liquid diet is usually not necessary. I had jello and sorbet later that day. I wasnt really able to eat normal again for about a week and half. Even then I had a burger and potato chips and it was hard to get down.

Getting them out is good. Since Ive had mine out I dont get sore throats as often, I can breathe easier and my snoring has significantly decreased. My doctor was surprised I could breathe in the first place with them.

the next two weeks may be a bit uncomfortable but you shouldnt be in much of any pain at all. Best of luck.(*hug*)

3. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! Thanks for the reply. They said the surgery went well, and I've eaten an ice block so far. It hurts a little, but that's nothing compared to the knowledge that I won't get tonsillitis again.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, gosh, I've had my tonsils removed in May 2012, and it was by far the worst experience of my life. I lost like, 15 lbs because I could not eat anything, not even ice cream. I was extremely miserable for 2 weeks and hated everyone and everything :grin:

My only savior was the liquid pain medicine that I sipped on straight from the bottle because it was that bad.

I am glad to hear that surgery went well for you :slight_smile:

5. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The pain isn't too bad yet, I'm still managing to eat ice cream and jelly, though they say the pain will get worse before it gets better. Currently the area they were removed from is white, with red around the outside. I get pills for pain medication :/ they suck to take.

6. Time Lord10

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had my tonsils taken out when i was 7. I was in too much pain to even have ice cream.

I'm glad to hear you aren't in a lot of pain.

Get well soon!

7. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pain's going up a bit now :/

And thanks!