1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Current Diet - How bad am I hurting myself?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Time, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Time

This is my current day to day diet.

In the morning before school, I stop at the convenience store and purchase a soft drink and two snack foods. Lately, it's been peppered beef jerky, which I eat for breakfast, and then crackers or a Rice Krispies Treat for lunch later on. I usually drink half of the soft drink in the morning and the other half at lunch.

After getting home from school, I eat out at a fast food restaurant, and then sometimes ice cream later on.

I've been doing this every single day for the past several weeks. I've managed to stay relatively thin, but I'm beginning to worry about my body. How severe is the damage I'm doing?

I've thought about changing my eating habits by cutting out some stuff and changing the really unhealthy to stuff to healthier choices. But...I can't bring myself to do it. It almost seems like I'm addicted to all of these luxury foods. How can I break myself of this?

Thanks.

2. Well you're eating a lot of simple sugars, which aren't good for you, they leave you feeling hungry just a little while after you've eaten them, also you may not be getting the sufficient amount of calcium,protein and iron you can get from dairy, and fresh fruit and veg. and nuts. If you really have no time to cook or prepare foods, getting a pack of unsalted or lightly salted peanuts or cashews or even sunflower seeds and milk or juice would be healthier than the more processed foods like rice krispy treats and beef jerky, and a soft drink. This can help you break free of the habit of picking the unhealthy choices. Also for dinner, make a sandwich and bring it with you if you have to be on the go, because fast food is extremely bad for you a contant basis.
    I hope that i helped!

3. Soulless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on how bad you think diabetes is.

I don't think there is anything we can say or do to help you change this. The decision is your and it seems like you've already realize the damage you are doing to your body so you just have to finds the will power to stop doing it and start eating healthier. If you can't buy food that's god for you then ask your parents to give you a little bit more money, also if there is a Subway nearby that's your best choice for fast food, it's a freaking salad and it actually tastes good!

4. Gumtree

You could potentially be doing A LOT of damage.

The 2 main problems with a diet of yours are obvious - you're consuming excessive amount of lipids, carbs, sugars and most of all; salt. But even worse, you're depriving your diet of the neccessary nutrients it needs.

There are so so many problems that could occure before your weight changes.

Hypertention is common among men now and a lot more common in youth then in the past. Hypertention is another word for high blood pressure which is the direct result from diet - mainly excess lipids and salt and a lack of water - exactly your diet. Hypertention increases chances of heart failure and vascular faults by almost 4x.

Diabetes is the most severe concern - there are absolutely no symptoms and can occur in anyone (especially those with family history) at any time, diet is a MAJOR contribtor; normally an excess of sugar, and substances that harm the liver (most artificial substances and toxins found in most fast food and snacks)

You will probably find that your feeling more constipated lately and if so, it will get worse.

Liver and bowl damage is inevitable from a diet like this and is permanent.

You will find that your skin will break out more (these effects will probably take a few more days to start) and become visably more unhealthy.

After about another 6-7 days you find you're having problems sleeping and lacking energy/concentration during the day.

You will have a weak immune system atm.

High cholesterol is a big problem from a diet like that - you're consuming very little fibre and mono-unsaturated lipids to help remove it - will result in heart problems.

But hey, it tastes good right?

5. Janvier

Wow your diet is worse than mine :confused:
    I've been eating only one big meal a day at McDonalds for months, I have a fast metabolism but I'm starting to put on weight :eek:
    I can't give you any advice obviously, but you guys were very helpful :slight_smile: I think I'll cut down on McD soon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well I'm speaking from experience here, its not good to get into those kind of bad eating habits. They are really hard to break. I used to stop at 7-11 on the way to high school and get chocolate donuts and Diet Coke. UGh.....I get a stomach ache thinking about it now. Then we'd have fast food for lunch. Then I would do the Dexatrim thing and eat only salads for two weeks.

Its probably not going to kill you at your age, but what better time to get into good healthy eating habits. Even if you can only change one bad habit a day, it can help. Do it for three weeks and then add another healthy food to your diet.

7. sdc91

Limit yourself to eating at home. That way you control what you have available. Just go out on occasion, but not every day like you're doing right now.

8. queerunity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are you trying to lose weight? You can eat healthy stuff without eating junk. Munch on some fruits or veggies, and try opting for whole wheat breads and pastas instead. You can eat smaller healthier increments throughout the day to keep healthy and keep your metabolism up.

9. Louise

First of all don't try changing all your bad habits at once, take one thing that you can change, like the soft drink, is it the sweetness you crave or the fizz. If you want the fizz drink carbonated water. For lunch instead of a sweetend cereal bar chose a bit of sweet fruit. Instead of having ice cream every night only have it every other night for example.

Bad habits are difficult to change but you can if you want to, you just have to do it in a reasonable way so that you don't feel like you are punishing yourself. Could your mum not prepare you a meal that you just have to heat up in the evenings instead of eating out, you must be having such a high intake of salt in your diet, it doesn't bare thinking about.

10. Time

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm taking baby steps, but I'm going to change my eating habits.
    Today, I got bottled water instead of soda. I still got beef jerky, which will probably be the hardest thing to give up, but I think I can soon.
    We stopped at McDonald's on the way home from school and I resisted. I didn't get anything. I came home and had a Lunchable, with a Caprisun.
    I'm going to make an honest effort to cut out soda completely.

Again, thank you, everyone.