1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Straightening

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Steam Giant, May 9, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

No jokes about going straight, please ^^

I have wavy hair, and I'd like to get it straightened out, but I don't know the first thing about hair care. Is it hard to have done? Should I go to the hair salon in my local mall, or somplace more specialized? About how much upkeep does it require, and is that upkeep difficult?

FYI, my hair is pretty short. If it were straight, it would just about come down to my shoulders. Don't know if that helps ^^

Any assistance you guys can give would be greatly appreciated! I'm at a total loss here, and nobody I know knows ; ;

2. TeeBe

Have you tried usind a hair straightener? It is cost-effective, and you can go wavy whenever you would like. (Ceramix is a good straightner). Takes a little bit of maintenence, but it isn't permanent.

Or you could get it chemically straightened. It's like a perm, but straight instead. Low maintence...NO maintenence...but it lasts a couple of years.

3. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could probably go to a hair salon and have them put a relaxer in your hair. It's just like getting a perm, but it's the opposite.

4. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

I use a straightener everyday! :slight_smile: For a good deal on a straightener go to your local beauty shop (like a sally's or something) and get one, because they are better for your money. I have a no-name brand one that works just as well as a chi straightener for only $30 and it's 3/8" wide for my short hair.

Also, your nearest salon could relax your hair (haven't done it before myself though...). That can run you about $50-100 per, and lasts for around 4-6 weeks, but results are variant depending on quality and your hair in general.

5. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard a relaxer can last for a couple of months at least when you get it done by a professional hairdresser at a salon.

6. I used to use a straightener every day but i have nasty frizzy hair so it poofed it up so i stopped using it. BTW i have wavy hair too Steam Giant so you arent alone ^^

7. Steam Giant

Thanks so much for the info, guys! I think I have a pretty good idea of my options now. I hate wavy hair ; ; it's just impossible to upkeep! A few years ago, I used to get it cut really short, becase that was my only real option, heh. Thanks again!

8. Micah

Getting it straightened at a salon can sometimes get expensive (especially if you want to continue straightening it).

I would try buying a hair straightener first ($30ish) and trying that out.

Also, when straightening your hair, use a "non-build up" shampoo. That is - use a shampoo that doesn't leave a protective layer on your hair (brands like pantene DO leave a layer on your hair). This layer can sometimes stop the straightener from working :slight_smile:

9. Kimi

My younger brother uses a hair straightener...It definitely works.
    And going to salon is a good idea too but like others already said I heard it'll cost alot.

Seeing my brother doing it...I glad that I have straight hair...:eusa_sile

10. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

Also, with a straightener, if your hair starts to frizz after a bit, use a heat protector and make sure it's bone dry before you do it. Sometimes the extreme heat applied day after day can make your hair dry out.

11. Well i used to use various heat protectors and they did work, but i have a little bit of frizz to my hair anyway so it didnt make too much of a difference

12. Steam Giant

Heh, I can deal with frizz as long as my hair falls straight ^^ thanks for the advise, though. Definately something to keep in mind. I'm thinking that maybe this weekend, or else sometime soon I'll have it done at a salon to start off with, then upkeep it with a straightener. Does that sound like a good idea to you people?

13. I dont see why not ^^

14. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    my hair is blonde and very straight and keep it cut short. my dad has blonde hair, and my 10yo brother does but my 13yo brother has red hair. mum has red hair so that where it comes from. i dont mind wavy hair but dont like curly hair.

15. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you would rather save all the work of straightening your hair yourself all the time, then you should just go to a salon and have them put a relaxer in your hair. Even though it might be expensive, I bet it would be worth it. You would probably have to go to a salon every couple of months for a relaxer.

16. ok455

u could always post a pic!

17. Kimi

Yeah, that's sound lke something I would do. Though you might go back to a salon more often than you thought at first place...I mean it's kinda lots of work...and it's not looks good as a salon does.

18. tired_of_lying411

I straightened my hair for a year and just recently started letting it stay curly. If I use a pro-curl shampoo/conditioner/leave-in cream it looks pretty good, if not, it is a huge frizz ball. The longest my hair has ever been is 4.5 inches, and that was taking me 2 hours to straighten :eek:

I made the mistake of using that Walmart stuff (formulated for little black girls :lol:slight_smile:
    It's an in-home treatment (about $15) and it was HORRIBLE!!!!!! It hurt like a motherf*cker and made my hair smell like eggs every time I got it wet. And I still had to straighten it a little after it dried. It really damaged my hair, too. NEVER DO THIS.

And always ensure that your hair is BONE DRY before you straighten. And you get what you pay for with straighteners, no matter WHAT anyone tells you. The hotter, the better.

I will now direct you to the youtube vids of William Sledd for further straightening tips. (Carson-his stylist explains why hotter is better)

Good luck :icon_bigg

19. GuitarGirl1350

If you're getting it permanently straightened, it's best to go to a salon with workers who know what they're doing. It lasts about a year, but screw ups would be tragic.
    If you're just going to buy a straightener, I have a Conair cermaic and it works wonders =]

20. I actually used to get the best results when i straightened my hair from wet to dry. But since I dont do it anymore it doesn't matter anyway hehe