1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roacatain

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by dictionary, Oct 11, 2008.

1. dictionary

Like a month ago i started roacatain and my face now is like melting off.. it is so incredibly dry... my lips are like non existant and i just seem to be constantly red....
    and the other day i got sun burnt and it just made it all worse....Ive been putting on mosturisor and lip balm on like relgiously but it hasent seemed to help.. has anyone been on roacatain? and if so how did you overcome the side effects?

2. Vampyrecat

well for one - I would suggest finding a moisturiser which contains vitamin E. And if you're using a lotion - switch to a cream. If you're using a cream - switch to a body butter. They are heavier moisturisers and really help.

Also - eat lots of fruit with vitamin E. Particularly Kiwi Fruits. Drink lots of water to keep your skin hydrated. Wear sunscreen every time you go out.

Other then that I can't really give you a lot of help - sorry.

3. Gumtree

Is it Roactain or Ruaccutane?

Perhaps it's different in other companies/countries.

The medication your on is a treatment for cynic acne.

It is based on a pure form of vitamin A that completely stops the production of certain hormones which produce oil in the skin. Yes that will in fact stop most acne but has a lot of very bad side effects. Dryness of skin is the most prominany to begin with, it only get's worse - if you look it up on google images you will see pictures of people literally having chunks of their lips fall off.

Severe and permanent athritis, blindness, scaring and breaking of skin all over the body are literally common side effects.

But the most severe of all is the effect it has on a hormone your body produces called serotonin. Perhaps you are aware of what it does and the effect of accutane on it. But serotonin is the substance responsible for all feelings of happiness, pleasure and selfworth security ETC. Forms of accutane and indeed ruaccutane do infact limit and to an extent stop the production of this substance. The symptoms of this side effect aren't usually noticable until 13-14 weeks of consumption.

Not trying to be a doomsayer but ultimately that means it will make you depressed. VERY VERY depressed, last year there were over 14,000 male teen suicides directly related to the side effects of this drug. Not good news :/

Also, it mutilates your sperm big time! Your sperm cells will be denatures for around 90 days after one pill, and substancial permanent effects normally resulting in mutilated children in the future.

Tis illegal for females to take - makes them temporarily infertile and multilates their eggs permanently.

Accutane and accutane side products are only availible because they work - most countries ONLY offer them as an alternative to surgery, unfortunately here in Australia we seem to pass them out to any teen that clearsil didn't work for.

It should just outright be illegal!

/rant

My best friend is on Roacatain atm, he is heading onto 12 weeks - already he has been experiencing severe depression and it keeps getting worse, I have walked in on him randomly crying at school. He refuses to stop, he believes that it's worth it.

Oh and finally, despite contrary belief, the relief it does give you to acne wears off generally within 4 months.

#3 Gumtree, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. KaraBulut

The drug that you are on is called Accutane in the US. The generic name is Isotretinoin.

Gumtree has listed most of the side-effects.

One thing that your physician should have warned you about was to stay out of the sun. The drug makes you extremely sensitive to sunburn- an extremely painful sunburn. You should always keep your skin covered, wear a cap and use sunblock if you have to be out in the sun.

The lip peeling and redness are usually worse in the first 30 days of the treatment. Use a heavy moisturizer that does not have lanolin. I'm not sure of the brands in Australia but in the US, Cetaphil and Eucerin are two products that work well. Use them on all over your body- especially on your face and hands.

Chapstick will help with your lips during the day. Use the Chapstick that has sunblock- look for the SPF on the label. At home and before bed, you can use petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

Isotretinoin also has a tendency to cause nosebleeds. A little Vaseline (petroleum jelly) or unscented mineral oil on a swab can be used to mosturize the inside of your nose and nasal passages.

5. Gumtree

The version he is on I believe is slightly weaker form of Accutane, not the real thing, but I do know that they increase the dose over time; that's why i said the side effects get worse. But I could well be wrong - I would take Kara's word over mine.

OMG OMG(!)(!)(!)(!) :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:thumbsup:(&&&):icon_bigg:kiss:

No idea how much that means to me!

6. KaraBulut

The oiliness comes back usually within a month. These drugs sometimes require a second course but they're usually pretty good at clearing up severe facial acne that doesn't respond to other medications. They're not as effective on chest and back acne.

There's a new treatment that is in testing now called Intense Pulsed Light therapy that seems to be promising. It uses light therapy. It is a little expensive and has to be repeated periodically but it seems to be safer than Isotretinoin.

7. That's what I know it as. Accutane. A lot of people I know are on and like Kara said you do need moisturizers and chapstick cause its dries EVERYTHING out.

8. roactain1980

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Evening All,

I found this website by accident as I was just talking to my wife about roactain and thought I'd google it.

I have no real interest in this website but got reading this thread and what you were saying about roactain.

I took roactain when I was a teen (now 28), can't remember exactly when but I think I took it for 2 years at 15-16 ish.

If you want honest advice about roactain:

Well it didn't work I still got ache (and still get it occasionally although not bad) however side affects, my lips got so cracked it was agony and still to this today (12 years later) my face is soooooo sensitive its not funny i.e. if I put a gentle sensitive moisturiser on my face its like I’ve put petrol on my face and set it on fire. I have to use moisturiser as roactain has still left my skin ridiculously dry i.e. dry flaky skin on my jaw line and forehead

My skin is so delicate I suffer terribly from stretch marks.

Hormone imbalance – well man boobs – very delicate personal subject

Mood swings, can’t say I suffer from that however I suffer from indirect depression about the above.

I won’t say it’s ruined my life as I’ve got a beautiful wife who accepts my defects and we have a wonderful beautiful daughter so I can’t say I my sperm was affected that I know of.

What I would say to anyone about ache and roactain:

1) It it’s a teen thing that you have to live with, use products to clean your face but do not go down the roactain route. You will grow out it.
    2) DO NOT use roactain, believe me I regret, I hate looking in the mirror or trying on clothes and one new thing I have to struggle with is taking my top off in public – I’ve avoided it for years but want to take my little girl swimming so I just get over it and bear it.

Final point from my experience, short term benefit for a life time of side affects so don’t do it.

If anyone wants to discuss it offline please PM me to talk about it and I’ll do my best to reply.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes
    (prefer to remain anonymous)

9. Micah

As someone who used it for 6 months when I was 17, it was one of the best things that happened to me. Shrug.

My skin cleared up within 5 weeks, and my ache never came back. I had dry lips which sucked, but it was a small price to pay for pimpless skin now days.

10. jasox01

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm just finishing up now,

Apart from the scares, my skin has never looked better.
    My lips are effectively re generating every 2 days only to fall off again

and sunlight sucks.

had depression for like 3 days after i got drunk at a mates 18th

but apart from that all good, i only used it as a last resort,

good luck:slight_smile:

and paw paw cream, works a treat better than chap sticks

#10 jasox01, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  11. Louise

My son was covered, arms, back, chest, face, neck with acne and acne on his acne it was really painful and unsightly. He took a 6 month course, his skin dried up, his lips were like dragon scales if he forgot his chap stick for more than 1/2 an our and his joints were really achy.
    Now 6 months later, beautiful face, beautiful body, beautiful arms, no more dragon scale lips!!! He knew the risks but felt that they were worth it, he could barely lie down for the huge red pusy spots all over his back!
    His secret was to go to the pharmacy and get a really good brand name moisturiser, soap and chapstick.
    Of course everyone is different but it really worked for him.

12. katie

i was on it for a while, but i got taken off it, cos it made me really depressed. yea, sunlight isnt good. i found that vaseline with aloe vera added in worked really well for my lips, and simple's light mousteriser worked nicely for my skin, but i had to apply in 2-3 times a day. and a good friend's shoulder for the crying jags!!!

good luck with the treatment. should clear up ur skin nicely, but yea, the oilyness does come back quickly when u stop using it. apparently, it had a 60% sucess rate, wih 40% needing other treatment, or a second bout of the drug.

hope this helps.
    x