1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jetlag

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AdelOwl, Nov 30, 2014.

1. AdelOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for overcoming jetag after long haul flights? I've done a lot of flying and I thought that it would be something that I would just get used to, but nothing seems to work. I always end up feeling really tired with an upset stomach and disorganised sleep patterns for days afterwards. I'm probably going to have to make several trips between Australia and the UK over the next few months, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

2. TraceElement

Being overtired can give you a stomachache. Maalox can help. Melatonin can help you sleep.

3. Joanie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Melatonin can help you with that. I would try a low dose.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given I am actually recovering myself, here are my tips:

1. Do not eat heavy food before the flight or in the plane. Stick to light meals, no carbs, no alcohol while flying. Drink plenty of water; keep yourself hydrated.

2. If an overnight flight, consider taking some light sleeping aids to help you sleep. Getting rest makes the jet lag easier to overcome.

3. Change the time on your watch as soon as you get on the plane. It's a psychological trick, but it helps.

4. Before landing, do some stretching, and maybe even some leg exercises to get the blood circulating.

5. If flying east to west, drink coffee before you land and stay up the entire day. Go to bed at an ordinary hour, try not to sleep during the day even if your tired. In the morning, even if you wake up early, stay in bed and try and sleep until a normal hour.

6. Traveling west to east is harder. I usually sleep a few hours right after I land. Then I do the same as above in regards to sleeping and waking up.

Hope this helps

5. AdelOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Joanie and TraceElement: Thanks for the advice about Melatonin. I will definitely try that next time as I find it hard to sleep on planes.

UsxUK: Those all sound like good tips, thanks. I'm sure dehydration is definitely a factor as I never drink enough water on flights and generally have wine with the meals. I'm actually the opposite to you though, as I find the jetlag much worse when flying east to west. I find it really difficult to stay awake/alert no matter how much coffee I drink and by mid afternoon I'm basically a zombie.