1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Requesting a new doctor

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AwesomGaytheist, Nov 30, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After much thought, I've decided I want a new doctor, but my options are kind of limited. I am pretty much limited to the health center on campus, and there's one doctor I've been seeing since the first week of my freshman year. I made an appointment and just asked to see a doctor, as I'd never been there before and I had every inch of my body itching. Well, he was the doctor that had an appointment open soonest, so they scheduled me with him and only him every time thereafter.

Long story short, while he was examining me, he saw that I had my gay pride ring on and instantly asked, "Are you sexually active, and with men, women, or both?" I answered honestly, yes and men, and he never looked at me the same after that.

Every time I've seen him since, I feel like he treats me like I'm a second-class patient. I went in a few weeks ago because I had a sleep issue, and he looked at me as he walked in like, "Really? You again?" I feel like he acts like my health problems don't matter and that he has a problem with having an openly gay patient.

My question is how do I explain to the folks there that not only do I want a different doctor, but that this is why? Has anybody else had this issue?

2. Really

Simply ask which doctors work on which days and ask for an appointment for a day when Dr. Needsbetterbedsidemanner isn't working. Hopefully, you'll have a choice.
    People change doctors for all sorts of reasons. They're people too and have personalities which can't possibly make every patient comfortable. The office staff know this.
    I'm not saying that doctor is right but even good ones rub some people the wrong way.
    If you know any other lgbt students, you might ask if they've gone to medical services and know which doctor is good.

3. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Really? You again?" is totally inappropriate. Definitely find another M.D.

Getting recommendations from other LGBT students is a good idea. But if they don't have any experience with this, you should ask the student health center's administrator for a recommendation.

Good luck.

~Milan