1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embarresing question about fitness....

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Burnedcloset, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Burnedcloset

I need to ask you guys. I don't feel like going to a bodybuilding forum. Hopefully someone can help me.

I go to the gym 5-6 times a week. I cannot for anything in this world get fit. I always have fat on me. I can't get rid of it and I'm going crazy. I eat so healthy. I started not even being able to do the 45 pound bar on bench press. Fast foward almost 2 years. I can only put 22 1/2 on each side. So that's only 90 pounds vs 45. This is not normal. I've gotten the result that my friends got in 1 month, in 2 years. I don't know what it could be. I eat the same and work just as hard as my buddy, and he has abs and big arms and pecs. I should have that to! I understand genetics plays a role. It's just I should atleast get half the muscle/strenght he has gotten. I have barely noticed any change in my body. I eat a calorie surplus. I gained 15 pounds in the past 3 months. I gained 5 pounds of strenght on every move in the gym
    -_-.

I gain muscle just as fast as a female would. Most girls in the gym are stronger then me! It's really embarresing to say even on here!

Do you think this could be low testosterone? Should I check it? If it is low, what should I do. My brother said I should check it. My sister had a hormone problem growing up to. She had elevated testosterone.

If it's expensive how am I supposed to pay for it if I'm living on my own/disowned........

Life is not fair...

Edit: I weigh 148 pounds atm. Oh and I do have facial hair. I do have a libido or whatever that is. I do sleep a lot though.

#1 Burnedcloset, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While you can do as much as you can for your body, it has it's own limit. My parents claim that if I kept playing basketball, I would grow taller! But to be honest, I won't grow to be as tall as Lebron James; my parents are short.

I know a friend who's metabolism is so high that without exercise, his weight remains the same despite how often he eats fast foods.

So everyone is different, but then again, I'm not sure if asking this here at EC is the best place to do it. Definitely nothing wrong with it, but asking at a more experienced and specific forum may do the trick.

3. shinji

shinji Guest

Decide if you want muscle mass or to lose fat/weight. Because fitness is not a good place for the latter. I'm not going to bother explaining BMI and daily calorie goals to you, as i'm guessing you are already well aware of those. If you are following them correctly, i see no reason why you wouldn't be able to achieve your goals.

4. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well first off, no need to be embarrassed. It could just be a matter of how you're training.

Genetics does play a big role, but if you've been training for two years and have had almost no progress, there's something wrong with the way you're training. I have crappy genetics too, but I'm up to 145 lbs for bench press and 245 lbs for deadlift at a bodyweight of 132 lbs at 16 years old with a height of 5' 5". I've also only lifted for about two years, and really only consistently for about one year. My dad was a bodybuilder however, so I kind of have an edge over most people in that aspect. ;-)

A couple questions first though, if you don't mind. I'd like to have a little background before I recommend anything.

You say you're 148 lbs. What is your age and height?

Also, what does your routine look like? What is your diet like?

And perhaps most importantly, what is your goal?

Hopefully I can help!

5. Burnedcloset

Well, I'm 18 this Saturday, and I'm 5'9-ish.

I don't have a daily schedule. I just keep it going no matter the day. It looks like this

Day 1: chest
    Day 2: back
    Day 3: shoulder
    Day 4: arms
    Day 5: rest
    Repeat

I don't work legs, yet. That could be a big problem. What do you think?

My diet is mostly

Breakfast: white eggs
    Lunch: 2 grilled chicken sandwiches
    Dinner: more grilled chicken or some kind of red meat.
    I snack throughout the day to, on healthy things with protein.

About 100-125 grams of protein a day. I'm going to take protein shakes soon. So that will go higher.

I think I'm going to try gaining weight, slowly. Then If I gain strength, I won't worry about underlying problems. If I don't gain any strength.......something has to be wrong.

bad genetics with a bodybuilder dad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.....lol jk

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's just not true regarding height. A good doctor can project a person's height from when they are about 4 years old. Doctor said I'd be between 5'10"-5'11", and I am now 5'11". He said my brother would be 6' or 6'1", he turned out to be 6'1". Playing basketball would not make you taller. I played baseball for years, and I didn't end up 6'2" or 6'3".

As far as weight, that is a lot of genetics and age. I could eat anything until I was 25, then I had to watch it.

7. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Alright, you've got a couple options here. You could continue doing a bodybuilding type split, or you could try hopping on a strength program like 5x5. Either way, you will TRAIN LEGS! :slight_smile:

I personally do a bodybuilding split. I'll post up my workout schedule. If you want, try it for 6 months or so and see how you progress. Again, you may also want to try a 5x5 program instead.

Please note that if you try this, you should NOT try to do the amount of volume I'm doing right off the bat. You probably won't be able to and you'll burn yourself out. Make sure you do the compound barbell exercises, particularly in the low rep ranges, though. The 1-5 rep range is best for strength. After a few weeks you can up the volume.

Take 2.5 to 3 minutes between sets for your compound barbell lifts (squats, bench, deadlift). For abs take no more than 30 seconds between sets. On forearms take no more than a minute. Everything else take 2 minutes.

Also, your first couple sets shouldn't be too strenuous. Use the first set as a warm-up.

The (drop) indicates a drop set, which is a set with a lower weight immediately after a higher weight set. No rest.

Day 1: Back & Abs
    Deadlift: 5 x 10, 7, 5, 3, 1 (double drop set)
    Lat pulldown: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Seated cable row: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Oblique crunches: 1 x 70 (each side)
    Side crunches: 1x 50 (each side)
    Plank: 2 minutes
    Hanging leg raises: 2 x 12

To clarify, this is what I mean oblique crunch: http://cms.interaksyon.com/lifestyle/assets/2013/08/oblique-crunch.jpg
    Side crunch: http://vitaflexlifestyle.blog.com/files/2012/06/3.jpg

Day 2: Chest
    Bench press: 5 x 10, 7, 5, 3, 1 (drop)
    Incline dumbbell press: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Standing cable crossovers: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)

Day 3: Legs & Abs
    Squat: 6 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Leg press: 5 x 20, 15, 12, 10, 8 (drop)
    Leg extensions: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Seated hamstring curls: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Leg press calf raises: 4 x 12
    Seated calf raises: 4 x 12
    Weighted decline sit-ups: 3 x 15

Day 4: Biceps & Forearms
    Standing bicep cable curl: 5 x 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Preacher curl: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Standing dumbbell curl (alternating each arm): 20, 16, 12, 8 (drop)
    Reverse curls: 4 x 12
    Barbell wrist curls: 3 x 12

Day 5: Triceps & Abs
    Close grip bench press: 5 x 10, 7, 5, 3, 1 (drop)
    Tricep pushdowns: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Reverse pushdowns: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Cable crunch: 4 x 15

I currently don't train shoulders due to a rotator cuff injury, but if I did this is what it would look like:

Standing OH press: 5 x 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 (drop)
    Seated dumbbell press: 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4 (drop)
    Side lateral raises: 4 x 12, 10, 8, 6 (drop)

Diet looks good! Try to get at least one gram of protein per lb of body weight though. Also creatine is a great supplement to take. Good luck!

8. Maeve

When was your last physical? Bring it up with your doctor, get some bloodwork done, maybe they can give you some nutritional/exercise advice.

I'm assuming you're American? Do you have insurance? If not, apply for Medicaid. The income limits have become more generous in the past few years.

9. Burnedcloset

Thxs everyone! I'll definetly try out that workout. See how it does for me.

Probably going to check myself out. Just to make sure.

10. Maeve

A yearly physical is a good idea, even if you're healthy.