1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm...lube?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by myra, Oct 13, 2008.

1. myra

Ok so I'm kinda excited because my bf decided he is curious about anal sex and how he'd respond to it if I penetrate him. Which I'm pretty excited about because I've always wanted to be able to do that. I know the basics, go slow and take it easy, if it hurts him stop or slow down...blah blah blah. Here's my question: Is lube absolutely safe to use for anal sex? I know its probably a stupid one but I don't want to do anything to hurt him. So...is it safe to use lube for that? Are there any possible health risks?

2. Louise

Lube is absolutely safe and is specifically designed for that. If you don't use lube you will probably hurt him and it won't be an enjoyable experience at all. There are special anal lubricants available on the market which are very good or just the standard one that you find in the supermarket are fine but tend to dry out more quickly so you have to apply them more often. Don't be scared to over lube, better to have too much (can you have too much lube???) than not enough.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing to remember is that latex condoms require water-based lubricant. Most lubricants these days are water-based, but a few aren't, so make sure you get one that is so it's compatible with any condoms or sex toys or gloves you're using.

I've never heard of anyone having any problems with anal sex and lube... certainly not that it poses any particular health risks. As Louise says, you can't have too much.

As for the basics, yeah... you have them down. One other thing is that anal sex works best when the person receiving is relaxed and aroused, so there's a variety of ways to do that. :slight_smile: One that I know works for some people is if they've already cum... tends to relax a person. Of course, others are like, "Oh no, I don't want to do anything sexual after that..." which I've always found weird. But yeah, usually it requires so experimentation.

4. KaraBulut

It's not just safe, it's a must!

The next question is, "What are you going to penetrate him with?"

5. myra

I was just planning on using my finger. I mean, i figured as long as my hands are clean and I wash afterwards it should be ok, right? I read some other threads about using gloves or toys, but we don't have toys. And I just think gloves would feel weird. I was going to cut my nails short so I wouldn't scratch him up. Some of the other threads were specifically instructing guys that fingers were ok, so that's what i thought i'd do. Am I wrong in thinking that? I just thought I'd wash good before and after.

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ya....lube is an absolute must, or he will be in pain....just remember to play it safe :wink: .

7. KaraBulut

Fingers are just fine for exploring. Cut your nails back. Be generous with the lube on your finger and on his anus. If you don't want to use gloves, wash your hands afterward.

A few pointers for guys who aren't used to anal play:
    1. For this activity, you can use either an oil based, silicone based or water based lube. I would recommend a thicker water based lube just because it's easier to wash out of sheets.
    2. Avoid the "warming lubes" that warm up with friction. You can however put the bottle of lube in a glass of hot water ahead of time to get rid of the chilliness. Lube on a penis warms up on its own but with a finger or a toy, it's nice to have lube a little warmer than room temperature.
    3. If your boyfriend enjoys it, then you can progress to something larger such as a toy. With toys, you do need to be more particular about the type of lube, as some of the rubber materials can be damaged by oil or silicone based lubes. And if you use a condom on the toy, don't use an oil-based lube.
    4. Take some time to explore and find the prostate. Your boyfriend will appreciate it.

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I would say that lube is a must. My recommendation to you is use a condom. Put a condom over your fingers with lube on it and be gentle. I think that would work best. Good luck with that. :thumbsup: