1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bipolar?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Calix, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Calix

So ermm. I've been suspecting I may have bipolar for a couple of years. When I was 14/15 I thought it was just depression. But when I was 17 I started to notice I got a lot of weird 'hyper' moods every so often. I just told myself it was sugar or something, but that wasn't always the case. Just did some online tests and every single one said moderate-severe likelihood of bipolar ... and now I dunno what to do.

My doctor is already thinking of making me try new anti-depressants since my depression got worse. But I'm wondering if SSRI's never worked now because it's actually bipolar? They would always give me panic attacks or make me feel really dull and washed-out.

Also there's the issue of my dad. He's okay with my seasonal affective disorder and he's had no choice but to be okay with my gender dysphoria. But to him I don't have depression and he laughs at the idea of people having bipolar. The main reason he wouldn't believe it for me is because I'm 'functioning'. The fact I have a job, do chores, shower everyday, can feed myself, etc means I can't possibly have mental health issues. Ugh, my dad ...

Do you think It's worth my asking my doctor? Or just trying these new tablets and see if they work? They're not SSRI, It's an SNRI instead this time.

2. Najlen

How long do your hyper moods last? If they last more than a few days, there is a chance that you have it. If you are worried, you should probably bring it up with your doctor.
    Hopefully your dad will eventually learn that many people with depression are able to function fairly normally.

3. shinji

shinji Guest

I'm sorry if I come off as somewhat insensitive, but I feel the need to ask this. How exactly did you manage to diagnose yourself online?

I have almost no knowledge on the subject, but as far as I've heard, a typical examination for bipolar disorder involves an actual physical exam, lab tests, psychological evaluation and mood charting.

I question how all this was done via the internet.

All this being said, I do think you need to work on your relationship with your father, as there seems to be an issue of mistrust. This is a person who you should feel comfortable around, who can provide emotional support. Not someone you should fear being open to.

As for the mood swings themselves. I myself have gone through something quite similar at around your age, but have found out that it was caused due to stress. Do try and look at alternative explanations for the way you are feeling.

4. Fafner

The fact that you are "functioning" doesn't really mean anything, there are varying degrees of all kinds of psychological "conditions" (I don't like that word, but anyway). As others have said, how long are these hyper periods for? Mania can manifest itself very differently from person to person, some get really hyper, energetic and positive, others lose all sight of what's real and not, as if they were on psychedelics, so mania can be just as dangerous to yourself as depression. Depression and bipolar disorder should be treated differently, so it's definitely worth mentioning it to your doctor in my opinion.

5. Adam1969

Yes, you need to talk to your doctors! I have many friends who are bi-polar/manic depressive or in my case ADD. I often have times of hyperactivity but its not as severe an experience as my friends who are bi-polar have. These are very complex conditions to understand and anyone who says they dont exist is very poorly informed. Sorry, but spreading these ignorant views is irresponsible or even dangerous. Please reach out to people who understand these conditions. Its good to reach out online for advice but on matters as complex as these you must consult experts! I only say these things because I care. Best wishes, sincerely.