1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can asthmatic people wear binders?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Leonardo, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all!

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I'm a trans* male, and I recently came out to my mother. My first thought was that this meant that I could purchase a binder (she was accepting). However, I have very bad asthma. I didn't consider beforehand that this might restrict my ability to bind.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem, or have any experiences with binders and asthma?

2. Sam I Am

I don't have asthma, but I do have chronic bronchitis with bronchospasm. Some of the tighter binders do restrict my ability to breathe, and I would never try to exercise in one. I would go ahead and get a binder and use your own judgment on whether you feel like you can fully breathe. (Have your inhaler on hand!) If you feel any shortness of breath or other problems, then that's the time to talk to your doctor about it. But if you can move and breathe comfortably, and even engage in light exercise (like walking up 5 flights of stairs) without breathing problems, then you're probably good to go.

#2 Sam I Am, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Our other brothers have looked at this before and seem to have more faith in actual binders than DIY ones.

I'm transfeminine, so I know I'm not of much help here. Though I am asthmatic, and I'm tempted to ask, does a binder really apply that much compression to the chest?

I think it's unlikely to trigger symptoms. For me friend, it's smoke that gets him, and for me, it's anaerobic exercise.

#3 Pret Allez, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  4. Acm

Acm Guest

I have asthma and I bind just fine. Mine isn't too severe though, if I'm having really bad problems I try to just wear a sports bra just in case. I would be very cautious I guess, and make sure you can breathe comfortably in it.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have asthma, and I still bind. You're better off getting a higher quality binder, and make sure it's the right fit. You really don't want to bind too tightly with asthma. I wouldn't recommend working out in a binder, either, no matter the quality - I have made the mistake of taking long walks in mine, and I exacerbated my asthma every time, so I can't imagine doing any sort of cardio in one. I stick to sports bras for physical activities, the tightest I can find that don't restrict my breathing or contour my chest too much.

It can apply quite a bit of pressure. Higher quality binders seem to apply more even, gentle pressure and generally be less restrictive than lower quality ones. They breathe with you easier than low quality binders do. DIY binders and cheap ones tend to be more restrictive, and run the risk of applying uneven pressure depending on their construction. When I bind with my higher quality binder, I can generally bind for longer, with less discomfort. My lower quality binders do bind well, but sometimes I can't wear them as long before I start getting sore. I generally need to use my rescue inhaler after binding regardless of which binder I was wearing, and even if I feel like I might not really need to use it, I tend to use it anyway as a precaution, because I know that a few strong coughs won't really be enough for me with my asthma.

Just listen to your body, and what it's telling you it can handle. If it's uncomfortable to bind, then don't bind that day. Never bind longer than your body will let you. It should never be uncomfortable, and it shouldn't restrict your breathing.

#5 clockworkfox, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  6. Calix

I have asthma and I'm fine. I'd recommend getting a professionally made one from somewhere like Underworks though. And definitely don't exercise in one :slight_smile:

7. Calix

I have asthma and I'm fine. I'd recommend getting a professionally made one from somewhere like Underworks though. And definitely don't exercise in one :slight_smile:

8. Calix

9. Calix

10. Calix

Oh god o.o My internet went funny, I'm so sorry for the multiple posts :/