1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by krazykyle, Oct 16, 2008.

1. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

so i have one growing but I'm scared to see a dentist cause it might hurt to get it removed has anyone had their's removed before?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I had three wisdom teeth. One of them was pulled in the dentist office with just a shot and the other two were removed under anesthesia. Its really not that bad if you do what you are told.

3. buriedinhw7

I've had 3 wisdom teeth out too. I'd have it taken out, the longer you wait the more it'll begin to ache and that alone is annoying and can be painful. I had two impacted wisdom teeth, but besides not being able to eat many different things for a few days it wasn't bad. I had the third removed recently when it started coming out and giving me more migraines. My dentist gave me a shot of novocaine (which really is the worst part cos I hate needles) and then yanked it out and sent me to work haha.

So not bad at all. I hate going to the dentist, but take care of it before they become bothersome or ruin your teeth =)

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't had any removed yet but know I will need to get them taken care of eventually.

5. Myke

Myke Guest

I still have mine, I can feel them coming in but they don't hurt or anything... I was just at the dentist this past summer and they didn't say anything about it so I'll just let it be

6. Over this past summer it was necessary for me to have my lower two wisdom teeth removed so not as to mess up the work that braces had done. I was put under, and I don't even remember the drive home from the surgeon's office. My sister claims that she found me laughing and crying inside of my closet about twenty minutes after we came home, another event that I don't recall happening.

Somebody else said that one of the more unpleasant parts is not being able to eat whole foods for a while and other than getting food stuck in the sockets, that's probably the most aggravating thing about it. Even though I bled quite a bit, there really was no pain for me. As Becky said, just do what they tell you to, and you'll be fine. If you receive pain medication, then I’d advise taking it on a full stomach. I didn't, and subsequently vomited three times. See a dentist even if you're scared, though. If your teeth become impacted, that can be a lot more painful than just having them taken out.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :slight_smile:

7. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd get it taken care of sooner than later, only because they can become impacted.
    That happened to me, basically an infection happens in your gums and the gums swell around the tooth causing pain when you basically do anything (eat, talk...). for about two days I sat with my mouth basically hung open cause I couldn't close it without intensifying the pain, until I went to an oral sergen who put me under anastesia and took them you (took like 5 min.) and if felt so much better, I had a slice of pizza when I got home after being on a liquid diet for the two days I had them in. :thumbsup:

8. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does impacted mean the same things as infected?
    I had mine out at the end of summer and was asleep the whole time which was good, I didn't feel a thing. My recovery was much slower than usual, and the pain meds made me faint if I stood up for more than 30 seconds (luckily, I knew I was close to fainting after about 20-25 seconds and lay back down). I couldn't eat solid foods for about a week, I got a whole lot of ice cream and sorbet though! They also did something to a nerve going to my tongue so I can only feel the left half of it no (really messed me in for band for a while, not I'm kinda used to it, but I still have an excuse if I don't tongue something correctly, lol)
    Of course, this was a worst case senario, and I haven't heard anything like it before, I have probably... 20-25 friends my age who have had theirs out without any problems.
    One of my friends who had hers out the same morning, went home and ate the same thing as the rest of her family did for supper! Her recovery was great and better than to be expected (or so I've heard) but mine was certainly one of the worse. All the other people I know who have had theirs out (it's very standard at about grade 10/11 here) were back to normal after about a day or two.

9. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i had my lower two pulled this past spring break. as long as you take watever medicine they give you the pain really isnt that bad. the thing that hurt the most was the injection to numb the pain. after that i learned to time taking my medicine so that as soon as the effect started to wear off a bit, i could take another an be fine (i took as many as i was allowed to per day mind you). like others have said, the worst part isnt really the pain but not being able to eat stuff you want to and getting food stuck in the gaps. just make sure you clean the gaps out good (some people said their dentist person gave them a syringe or something to help flush the food out) or else it could rot causing not only a really funky smell and taste in your mouth but also it could infect it the gums (im pretty sure but dont quote me on it).

but even if you dont want to pull it out you should go to the dentist any way to check it out. leaving them in for too long could cause other problems worse that taking them out could prevent. in my case my top two are fine and growing out strait so i dont have to pull them (unless something goes wrong) but the bottom ones were growing sidewards and would have grown into and/or around a nerve or something in my jaw (somethin like that) and it would cause me problems if i didnt take them out.

pulling your wisdom teeth seems scary but hell, its a lot easier and less painful than coming out (in my opinion atleast). so dont worry too much. i hope this helps...oh and im not an expert or anything so dont quote me on anything. the best place to get info is your dentist :slight_smile:

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had all fopur taken out under anaesthetic last year. They were coming in crooked, and also I have fairly big teeth and a fairly small jaw so there wasn't really room for them to grow. Only two had broken the surface, but all four were removed, because they would have pushed my tweeth out of alignment. It wasn't terribly pleasant, I felt like death for the rest of the day and pretty low for a couple of days after that, and it was annoying not being able to eat solid food. One of them was more impacted than the others, and that one hurt for a while, but now I couldn't be happier about having them removed. Before they were taken out, I had to chew on only one side of my mouth, and I had a constant feeling of pressure on my bottom teeth. I'm glad to be rid of that.

11. george678

Whats wisdom teeth?

12. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    umm i'm no expert but i think its basically teeth that grow in around late teens early twenties. they are "extra" teeth that you dont really need so the doctors pulls them out because they can cause problems when they start to grow (ie growing crooked, pushing other teeth, etc) they are located at the very back of your mouth

idk dont quote me though but try this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_teeth

13. george678

Ok thanks for that!

14. Janvier

Well, I got mine pulled out literally 2 days ago.
    Went to the hospital, put me to sleep, woke up, fell asleep again for about 24hrs, woke up with a bit of blood and a puffy face (it's still a little puffy right now). No real pain for me, just a little uncomfortable.
    You don't have to worry about anything :icon_wink

15. dictionary

I had all four out and an extraction done... ive forgoten about the pain... but what i can remember how boring eating jelly yougurt and ice cream can actualy get....

16. Miles D

I had all four out over the summer, and to tell you the truth it sucked.
    But I was pretty drugged up for most of it.
    And let me tell you, if you don't get them out early it'll be worse. My dad waited and might have to get all out at the age of 56!!

If you do end up getting them out, have a friend come over, and watch 15 movies, back to back, with lots of sleeping in between. And take at least four days off, from school/work/life.

:slight_smile:

17. EM68

I had all 4 taken out at one when I was 20. All of them were impacted. It totally sucked. I could not be put under anesthesia.(I have a heart condition so it would be very risky to put me under, unless I was checked into a hospital over night. It was an extreme case. ) They gave me a lot of Novocaine and I do not remember 3 of the teeth removed but the last one I was wide awake. It was not pleasant. I had puffy cheeks for about a 4 or 5 days afterward.

18. sdc91

I've had some 4 teeth (not wisdom teeth) extracted while I was wide awake. It didn't hurt because I was all numb (a couple of the shots hurt a bit because I've never had a shot in the roof of my mouth before), but I remember the loud cracking sound and seeing a tooth come out followed by a foot of guts... blechh. The cotton balls they put in my mouth tasted nasty, too.

I have to get my wisdom teeth out this summer because they're impacted... not looking forward to it.

19. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Go and see your dentist, it might not be as bad as you think, mine have started coming through, one is fully through and I haven't had to get any pulled out because they are all coming in straight so it is not all bad just get it checked out.

20. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh ya. i forgot to mention about the puffy chipmunk cheeks you get afterwards. the solution is to ice it a lot. i did and my cheeks barely puffed up and it was for only like 3 or 4 days. the thing is i was stuck every night with two ice packs held up to my cheeks which looks and feels stupid. but if you have some time at home you should ice it as much as posible. it'll help with the swelling.