1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Questions About Drugs

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ZenMusic, Dec 20, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I'd never take anything that would eventually kill me (Tobacco because I have asthma, Heroin, Cocaine, etc etc) and I don't plan to have anything till I'm old enough. The only drug I don't have a problem with is weed. Is that also eventually fatal, or does it just give you a high?

2. Sam I Am

If you're going to use weed, see if you can wait until you are 25. As an adolescent, your brain is still growing and wiring up, and some of the chemicals in weed mimic the signaling molecules that your brain uses to tell neurons how to grow. Use of marijuana in adolescence is associated with, among those who are predisposed towards it, an increased risk of psychotic disorders like schizophrenia. There is also some evidence that using weed heavily at this stage in your life might impair cognition as well.

I don't know of any risks associated with marijuana after 25 (exception: in extremely heavy users). That said, there are still a large number of risks from smoking weed, such as lung and heart problems, same as with smoking cigarettes. So if you want to use weed safely, buy a vaporizer or learn to cook edibles.

Hope this helps! Stay safe, and enjoy!

3. ZenMusic

I only wanted to smoke it once, and then never again.

4. wolf of fire

The chemical used to make it grow can cause damage. It can't kill with an overdose you would pass out long before that happens.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Smoking weed isn't likely to kill you. As drugs go, it is one of the milder ones, with arguably less side effects/damage than alcohol. But... like nearly every drug that makes you feel good in some way, it can be addictive. Though some will argue otherwise, this really isn't in dispute any more; rehab centers are increasingly seeing people for marijuana addiction.)

The issue is whether you have the biochemical predisposition for addiction. There are no surefire predictors, but some of the most reliable is how prevalent addiction/drug abuse is in your family (siblings, parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles), and in particular, whether your mother had any history of heavy alcohol or drug use,and/or was stressed, emotionally unavailable, or had strong anxiety or depression in the first two years after you were born. The mother's mindstate (and the effect of that on bonding to her child) is proving to be one of the most reliable predictors we have of a variety of risk factors, especially risk of addiction.

The other thing to consider is that most people convince themslves they will never go beyond ______________. (alcohol, marijuana, pain pills, xanax, or whatever.) The problem is, when you do drugs, particularly as a teen, you rarely do them alone, and when you're with others who are doing the same as you are, invariably, someone else will be doing something in addition to whatever it is you're using... and there's a subtle shift in mindset that happens where you find yourself becoming more openminded to trying whatever else it is.

Unlike meth, cocaine, and opiates, which, for some people can be near-instantly addictive, weed usually doesn't create dependence that quickly. But the combination of risk factors, surrounding yourself with others who use drugs and alcohol, and the vulnerability to suggestion that most teens have... it would be a really good idea to just avoid it entirely at least until your mid-20s if you want to be totally safe and mindful.