1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for getting a good night's sleep?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DawnM, Dec 20, 2014.

1. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Any suggestions are welcome!

Basically, I've never slept well because of issues that we used to have in our household. Long story, lots'a drama, I'll spare you the details. But for the past three years things have been great! For a while I slept really well too. That lasted a few months before I went back to my old habits. Lately it's gotten worse, and I've got to be in a good state to be up and driving at 7 every morning, so forgoing sleep isn't an option.

My issue isn't getting to sleep, it's staying asleep or feeling rested. I usually wake up 4-5 times throughout the night, and I have an awful time getting back to sleep. I tried popping a couple of Benadryl, and it actually helped but I was still up around 4am.

I'd talk to my doctor, but I don't trust him and I'm having trouble finding a new MD. So, any help? Thanks in advance!

2. David21201

bed early, chamomile tea, warmth, a cat (opt), and just something to slow your mind down

3. Raceme

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you don't feel safe when you go to sleep, either unconsciously or consciously. What you need to do is get yourself into a routine where you feel completely relaxed each night before you go to bed.

4. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Our cat is a little too crazy for snuggling :lol: Usually meditation gets me to sleep, but nothing seems to keep me there.

I think it is probably something like that. It always gets worse when I have to deal with certain people from that situation. I'm much better than I used to be, but just relaxing doesn't seem to cut it. I'm at the point where medication seems to be my next step. I've made a lot of progress recovering from their influence, and once I can completely cut that person out of my life I feel that I'll be fine. But that's a couple of years down the road. :bang:

Thank you both though.

5. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have that precise problem.. learnt to keep myself safe by simply not sleeping. Currently the only thing that regularly makes me sleep is olanzapine, which is an anti-psychotic. Actual sleep meds do make me sleep, but you can't stay on them because they're so addictive, so olanzapine it is.

I wish I had actual advice for you, other than 'yeah, meds help'. If you can find anything else that helps you sleep, that's a hell of a better option.

6. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I'm sorry that you're dealing with the same thing, but I'll admit it's nice knowing I'm not the only one. And yeah, I'm really concerned about taking actual sleep medication. I have a history of carrying on full conversations whenever I do sleep, and my brother sleepwalks at times, so the idea of taking something like ambien is pretty concerning.

7. Sam I Am

Yeah, I used to have severe sleep safety problems from PTSD. Got assaulted once in my sleep one time, almost died in my sleep another time, so ... yeah. Sleep and I are not friends.

1. I moved out of my parents' house, the awful place associated with so many years of mistreatment for me. Got me away from my mom. This alone made a huge difference in how safe I felt.

2. I got treatment for the PTSD. Got to the point where I was no longer afraid of nightmares.

3. For a brief time to stabilize myself, I used sleep medication. I get side effects like you describe from Ambien, but Lunesta worked great without any trouble. But as you say, this is not a long term solution.

Another drug you might try is OTC: Unisom's doxylamine succinate, that stuff knocks me out in under an hour. Much more potent than Benadryl.

4. I finally started on a low dose of an atypical antipsychotic, Abilify, which was actually given to me to treat depression. It didn't do jack for the depression, but it gave me one thing I've never had properly: a circadian rhythm. I now get tired on time, wake up on time, and have other perks like being able to going to the bathroom regularly. The mechanisms of these drugs are not fully understood yet and they have a wide range of possible effects. Abilify is not marketed as a circadian stabilizer, but for me, it's been great!

5. I also made differences in my sleep hygiene. These include things like:
    - Don't use your bed for anything except sleep (and sex). Don't read in bed or use the computer in bed.
    - If you are lying in bed trying to sleep, if you lie there for more than 20min, get up and do something for 30min or so. Don't just keep lying there.
    - Don't use computers, televisions, tablets, your phone, or other brightly-lit screens within an hour of your intended time to sleep. Try to avoid using them at night, period. They produce a wavelength of light that activates your brain and tells you it's daytime. For your computer, there are programs that can red-shift your screen at night to reduce this effect (the culprit is blue light).
    - Try to get exposure to natural sunlight, especially when you first wake up in the morning. Going for a 20-min walk outdoors in the morning is great for this.
    - When you first get up in the morning, get out of bed promptly. Don't lie in bed for awhile or hit snooze. You are training not just your body's sleep hormones, but also its wake hormones.
    - Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day, even on weekends. The body's clock doesn't know what a weekend is and wants to wake up at the same time each day. In humans, the clock can be sensitive to under a minute (some birds have it sensitive to within a second, which is awesome).
    - Don't nap during the day.
    - Don't drink stimulants like coffee, tea, soda, or hot chocolate after 2pm.
    - Don't drink alcohol before bed. Go to sleep sober.
    - Don't eat right before bed.
    - Exercise.

Good luck!

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might try to eliminate electronics from the vicinity of your bed...
    for example no cell phone, electric cable, radio maybe within 1-2m...
    you might try another place for your bed...
    if not too far fetched, you might get a gemstone, black tourmaline, and place it under your bed (medium size, rinse it before use)...

you might try not to eat or drink 1-2 hrs before going to sleep..
    except for maybe a glass of milk with honey or tea...

you might try some exercises in the evening, so you get physically a bit tired...

(*hug*)

9. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I’m sorry you had to deal with that, and thanks for all the suggestions, and I’m glad you’re doing better. In my case the abuse was emotional (but he was acting different from usual there at the end, and we didn’t know what he’d do), and I can’t completely cut my dad out of the picture just yet. I can say that I’ve recovered a lot in the last few years, and things are only getting better.
    I’ll look into the doxylamine succinate. It sounds promising. I’d look into the Abilify too, but I can’t get anything prescription right now, not until I find a new MD.
    My room is small enough that I usually stay in the living room anyway, so I’m only in bed to sleep, but it probably wouldn’t hurt anything if I stopped watching TV a little earlier. I went weeks with nothing but water to drink though, and that never made any difference aside from missing my coffee. Thanks, and thanks for all the tips!

(*hug*) We’ve got a local shop that I picked up some turquoise and amethyst from. They’ve got a pretty good selection and there’s a good chance they’ll have black tourmaline. I actually moved my bed a few months ago too, and that helped some. Thank you! :slight_smile:

10. badluckfairy

A bath or shower before bed is something I find helpful.

Also not to be looking at phone once being in bed (and silencing it or turning it off).

I also live alone so I do feel safe and know I won't get disturbed (which used to be at the back of my mind and keep me awake when I lived with others).

11. Joanie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi. :slight_smile: Most of the time, when someone wakes up in the middle of the night, it's because of hypoglycemia. Even if you don't feel hungry, it doesn't mean anything. You can have a hard time falling asleep after that or even not being able to fall back asleep. The solution is simple, have a protein/fat snack before bedtime. Like meat, eggs, nuts, cheese. I have a hard time digesting nuts, but I'm fine with the other things. It's best to avoid sugar and carbs. Proteins and fats will prevent the hypoglycemia during the night and should solve the problem. Going to bed while you're hungry or haven't eaten in a while is the worst thing you can do.

I would try that for at least many days and if it doesn't work, try to think about what could've changed in your habits/life. There's something behind this. But I think hypoglycemia is a good possibility. When you're under stress, you need more food to keep your blood sugar at a decent level.

Anyway, good luck. :slight_smile:

12. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love bath products by LUSH, so those have definitely become part of my nightly routine when I have a chance. :slight_smile: Living alone isn't so much of an option right now, but I do try to keep my phone on silent.

You know, I never considered this. I've mainly been living on coffee lately (like I mentioned before, the caffeine doesn't seem to make a difference on whether or not I can sleep) and while I know that it's not a good idea to replace meals like that I'm guilty of it.

I can't get to sleep if I'm hungry anyway, but I doubt Froot Loops are my best option :lol: I can't risk taking medication through the week anyway, so I'll give that a try for a few nights. Thanks!

13. Joanie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Replacing meals with coffee is very probably why you can't stay asleep. It's a big stress. The body needs a stable level of blood sugar throughout the day. And at night, like I said, to achieve that you just need to eat a protein/fat snack before bed. So if you correct your eating habits, things should get back to normal. Froot loops are like plain sugar lol definitely not an option. It won't help at all. Try cheese, eggs or slices of meat by example. Again, good luck with that. :slight_smile:

14. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look here:
    Foods That Increase Serotonin and Induce Sleep

and overall, a healthy diet should help...
    you might replace the coffee with tea (if possible not only black tea, which also might be quite strong...)

(*hug*)(*hug*)

#14 jay777, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  15. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I either take a really relaxing shower or I put on my 'Sleeping playlist' that pretty much has only soft, gentle music and that usually helps me sleep.

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I drink at least one cup of sleepytime tea, mist my sheets with a lavender spray an hour before bed, burn lavender incense a half hour before bed, and sometimes use a sound machine app of purring cats or distant thunder. And pet my cat. He loves to lay down next to me when I go to bed, so he's always close by.

17. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make sure your feet are warm.

And, honestly, sometimes a good masturbation session for bed is incredibly relaxing.

18. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anxiety can cause poor sleep quality

Google "sleep hygiene" for other tips

19. soulcatcher

Sleeping pills.

20. Bella Vampire

I don't recommend doing what I do, but about three nights a week I will take more than the recommended dose on nighttime cold medicine. I am not sure if it helps or not. I suffer from bad anxiety, so I can never stay asleep because an attack will wake me up