1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ingrown Toenail

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by JakeHas, Dec 22, 2014.

1. JakeHas

So my toenail I'm pretty sure is ingrown at this point. The nail on my big toe goes off into the side of my toe. It is kinda swollen, but no discoloration.
    Does anyone have any stories or something to share? What happens when someone gets this? During surgery, what is it like to get it fixed?
    Thanks Guys

2. hichat

I had the same problem when I was in high school! Mine was just so terrible to the extent that my ingrown toenail formed a small hole on the tip of my toe. So I was pretty sure that the toenail was going to grow out from that hole if I didn't get the surgery done. The pain was just so horrible and I had no idea how I could withstand this pain! Well in my case, which is serious, the surgery involved getting injections on my toe to make it numb and my toe didn't feel anything after that and I didn't want to look at how my toe is getting the operation. I got stitches on the wound area so I'm pretty sure the doctor open a little bit on the side of my toe with a scalpel and had the ingrown toenail removed.

Normally if there is a slight feeling of having ingrown toenail, it should be fixed by yourself but if you couldn't then you should seek a doctor before it gets too serious like mine!

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sucks really bad; do yourself a favor and get it fixed before it gets infected or else you are in for a considerable amount of pain.

I had it maybe 3 or 4 times; not going to let it happen again.

4. Itisthefear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i always get an ingrown toenail it's freakin disgusting and painful !!
    you need to have a surgery to have it removed properly otherwise it will keep growing back no matter what you do to it. (there are some pretty nasty YouTube videos about it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

the only big problem i encounter with ingrown toenails is when i drive and it's very annoying.

5. JakeHas

Okay, that helps a little bit. During the surgery, do you feel anything that the doctor does? My main fear is that I will feel the pain even after it's numbed up.

6. RedSwiss

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You don't need surgery to get rid of it. :lol: I get these things constantly, but they stopped pretty quickly when I figured out how to stop them from coming back.

First, to get rid of it, try shoving a small wad of tissue under the corner of your nail, this will lift it up slightly, so it grows outwards properly, instead of growing into your skin.

and to stop it from coming back: They're produced when you cut your toenails too short, and the nail grows into your skin. To avoid this, don't cut your nails, file them instead. When I began filing my nails, instead of cutting them, they stopped in-growing.

Only issue is, old habits die hard, so from time to time, I find myself cutting my nails instead of filing them, then the in-grown toenail returns to haunt me.

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I strongly recommend seeing a podiatrist soon. I've had multiple ingrown toenails. If they get infected and need to be operated on, it may be painful. I had one that got really bad. They used enough anesthetic thatmy whole ffoot should have been numb, and I couldn't feel them testing the tip of my toe, but when they started working it really hurt. I had them finish without more anesthetic because Iknew it was a quick procedure and the pain didn't go away when they stopped in the middle.

8. arken1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had one for several weeks when I was a few years younger than you. If you've had it that long, then you probably will have to visit your general physician. They had to numb my toe (with a couple shots), then use tools to cut the nail. Wasn't a big surgery, just in the office. The needles did hurt when they numbed it, but it was nothing compared to how bad the ingrown nail had gotten. If it's bad though, it can get infected after a while.

I have had several since then, but usually they clear up in a few days and they don't get nearly that bad. One thing you can do is soak your foot in a warm tub of water for 15-20 minutes several times a day. I think I sometimes put Iodine in the water, too, to prevent infections. The soaking keeps the nail soft and may make it easier to trim.

Like others said, to prevent them, keep them trimmed higher above the toe.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My little brother had one that required surgery. I can't remember if it was painful for him or not. He's pretty "sensitive" to pain and scared of surgery and he made it. It's a quick and easy procedure I think. Don't worry about the pain so much. The pain won't last long even if there is pain; you'll get through it!

10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I had an ingrown toenail that needed surgery.

The needles to numb the toe hurt like needles do. The anesthetic he used burned a bit. He cut the nail back, and then used acid to kill the root of the toenail.

The needle hurt the most.

The key is to not let them start until you are sure your toe is numb. I've had a dislocated finger set, and a finger stiches with out being properly numbed and I almost slugged the doctor both times