1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need more sleep then my friends?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Water lover, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Water lover

Water lover Guest

I am in highschool and I always seem to need sleep. I know this is normal for every highschooler but it seems I need 2-4 hours of more sleep then all my friends like it's horrible I sleep 16 hours a day on break. Does anyone know how to make this need for sleep to go down and why this could happen?

2. indiqo

did the amount of sleep you need change ever? if so I would suggest looking into physical and mental reasons.

I need 14+ hours sleep and I have always been this way. I can get by from 10 hours at a complete minimum. if I have less, I become physically and mentally unwell.

3. sharkpool

You should go to a doctor, you may need vitamins.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are some people that function better with more or less sleep than others. I usually am better with less sleep than more sleep. But, if this is something that has developed recently, then I would get it checked out.

5. mapleluv

16 hours a day seems a bit excessive, maybe something to discuss with your doctor?

But up until around age 19 I still needed ~12 hours each night in order to be happy & functioning optimally. My sleep needs have naturally decreased down to more normal levels as I've aged, thankfully.

6. i need around 10 hrs (12 hrs is the best but never happens really), but can function on less and have functioned (jsut) on 2hrs and did an 11 hr shift. it was horrible haha.

but i would go drs if the need for sleep ha incresed could be anemic, or low thyroid or diabetes, or anything really. go see a dr if youre worried.

7. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wandering if you are a bigger guy? I used to weigh over 400lbs myself and all I wanted to do was sleep. I found that actually going out and being active helped alot. I got down to 265 and I was just sleeping like 6-7 hours a night and felt great. I took a job that is a lot less active and with it turning cold outside (I hate cold) I have gained back to about 285 and find myself sleeping more again.

8. Water lover

Water lover Guest

I dropped about twenty pounds over the summer due to boredom and lack of self esteem so I pretty much didn't eat that much. For a good two months I ate beneath 800 calories a day and I felt fine. Unfourtunatly I live a pretty seditary life because I suck at sports and I have knee problems. I wiegh about 140 pounds. It also could be the fact that I have school at 6:20 every mourning but so do all my friends. So I am confused on why I need so much sleep.

9. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    try some melatonin. it makes me feel less sleepy when I wake up.

10. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being active doesn't necessarily mean playing sports. When the weather is warm I will walk to the store for smokes (about 1/4 mile round trip), walk to go eat (about 1 mile round trip), or walk to the grocery store (about 2 miles round trip). Now that it's cold I'll think I'm going to walk to the store for smokes, but as soon as the cold air hits me I take my truck instead (longer trips too). I understand that you are still in school so you probably don't have as many reasons to go to the store as I do (do yourself a favor and don't smoke my lungs hurt but it is very difficult to quit). You said your knee is bad. How bad? Could you walk around the block a time or two? How about riding a bike? I have a knee that constantly hurts myself (I know how I messed it up in Jr. High but never went to see exactly what I messed up). When I was a teenager I lived in a town of about 250 and there was literally nothing to do. I'd jump on my bike just to ride. It was nothing uncommon for me and my cousin to ride 10+ miles just because we were bored.

You said you live a seditary life style and from experience I find being seditary leads to sleeping more and continuing to be seditary. Try forcing yourself to be a bit more active it really does help.

11. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on when you fall asleep. I prefer to sleep 8+ hours, but (weirdly) I'm totally fine with 5-6 hours. I think there was a study done; some people could sleep less and still function because of some gene that actually let the cycles of sleep run more quickly.