1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dealing with depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by wolfy1, Dec 31, 2014.

1. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    how do you deal with depression? i know many would say to go to the doctor and get medication, but why get medication when i know the root of the problem? its driven from my sexuality. it constantly bombards me with confusion, anxiety and fear. all of those together just create depression. i hide it all from everyone; my sexuality and my depression. i just lock my self in my room when im depressed, and that seems like a lot recently. im just really tired of it. my way of dealing with it is ignoring it with something that makes me happy, usually singing and dancing... but that just avoids it for a short time. i dont want to make it sound like its every day because its not. i have a few good days, then a few bad days with depression... and so on.

any one have any advice? i know what will fix it, and that is to talk to some one about it... but i feel like i cant. at least not to my family and most of my friends. i have one friend who i feel i could but fear of rejection and fear of actually telling someone.. anyone actually scars me a lot. i dont know why, but it does.

2. AsheTheHuman

Like you said, you need to talk to someone about this. And the thing about clinical depression is that it doesn't have a root. Even if you did solve those problems, while it'd help ease your depression, it wouldn't fix it completely. You would not be being weak to seek medicine out. You'd be strong for admitting that you need help. Locking yourself in your room is only making things worse, trust me. You need to talk to someone about this, maybe even a psychiatrist. You know what you need to do, and once you get past that initial hurdle of fear, you'll be much better off. ~Good Luck

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Suggestions (1):
    - therapy or counselling to explore and examine what the real obstacles are and why they hold you back/ examine and unpick the root cause of the depression
    - do some serious self help reading (authors like Joe Kort, Brenee Brown etc etc often referred to on EC)

Suggestions (2):
    - cultivate a close circle of friends who you are out to (male and female) as a support network. Having it locked up inside your head can be debilitating. Sharing something about yourself with others can help 'externalise' it
    - having an active social life and interests outside of work/study
    - exercising
    - eating well, sleeping well
    - keeping stress levels low

Suggestions (3)
    - to make some progress with some or all of the above !! A new year resolution for 2015 ?

Add medications along the way if it is going to be helpful, and as AsheTheHuman says, it is not a weakness to do this.

Good luck !

#3 bingostring, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  4. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I struggled with severe depression right before I came out. After being put into a psych unit I had some time to think. I was really scared to come out to my friends and family for fear of rejection but I knew alot of my depression would go away if I came out. I hid my sexuality for 10 years and swore I wouldnt come out until my parents had passed away. I came out to my family weeks after I got out of the hospital. I also went to a couple of therapists and support groups. I never wanted to talk to anybody about it but forced myself to do it.

Dont be afraid to ask for any help from someone wether it is about you being depressed or about your sexuality. Find a friend, family member or some kind of human support group. (the people here at EC are helpful but talking to someone face to face would be better.)(*hug*)

5. SumitaSofat

SumitaSofat Guest

yes it is so stressful when somebody dealing with depression.