1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acne Scarring

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ZenMusic, Jan 4, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

I've had these dark spots on my face since November ( Well, I DID pick the spots, so I should live with them, really) but it's doing some real damage to my self-esteem. The doctor I went to see gave me a bottle with some solution in with a pad at the lid. I'm to wash my face and then apply it, but I. may have only had it for two days, but I'm either applying it wrong, or it's only supposed to deal with active acne. Is there any at home methods I can use to get rid of this?

2. Vashta Nerada

It takes new skin six weeks to grow, so you really can't expect results in a few days sadly.
    Drink lots of water and don't have too much sugary foods and your skin will be way better in the long run.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dark spots aren't scars, just temporary change in the pigmentation. They can take a while to disappear (months, years in extreme cases), but they go away on their own eventually.

Acne scars are depressions in your skin. If you don't have them then you don't have scarring.

This might help.. or not. I just looked it up: https://beautyhealthtips.in/home-remedies-to-treat-black-spots-dark-spots-acne-marks-pimple-scars-on-the-face/

And don't pick spots.. ever. Leave them alone. If you're bothered by them, get some Sudocrem to reduce the size and redness. Or if you have acne cream, use that. Picking or squeezing just increases the risk of permanent scarring.

#3 imnotreallysure, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  4. Hiems

I wouldn't stop using the medication that was given to you, unless you experienced severe side effects. Since it has only been two days, give it a fair trial for however long you're supposed to use it. Then visit your doc if it hasn't improved.

I don't have any suggestions on removing scars, but to prevent further acne development:
    - Use non-comedogenic products when possible, e.g. shampoos, facial cleansers, sunscreen
    - Avoid stress and stress triggers
    - If you want to remove whiteheads, then use a comedone extractor. Rub it over the whitehead 1-2 times only, because excess manipulation can cause scarring and inflammation.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Continue using your medication as prescribed to the letter and avoid touching your face if you're not cleaning it. And clean it as gently as possible and with antibacterial soap. Pimples are very easy to spread around, especially when you're prone to large outbreaks on the scale of acne.

Also, how's your diet? If you're worried about causing more, then diet's a pretty good start. I would advise avoiding externally moisturising with anything but what your dermatologist or GP recommends or water, but you can always keep your skin as healthy as possible with your diet in the long run - it may not prevent acne, but a diet with your skin in mind will help it stay healthily moisturised if you accompany it with plenty of water. That might at least help with the severity of outbreaks.

#5 Aussie792, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  6. ZenMusic

I try and drink two litres of water a day, I need to work on what I eat and when. I have sensitive skin, so I have to have Goat's milk with my cereal.

7. Hiems

There's not much evidence out there with regard to correlations between eating specific foods and acne development. The only exception would be high glycemic diets associated with an increased risk of acne development. So if you haven't already, try to avoid white bread, white rice, and other refined carbohydrates.

8. ZenMusic

I see. Thank you.

9. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look for African black soap and wash face with that twice a day, making sure to rub it in real good and let it sit for a few seconds. If you feel your skin is getting too dry you may want to apply moisturizer after washing the face.