1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16 Years Old, And Still Require a Comforter.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Yosia, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Yosia

I am sixteen years old and I am at college. Most people would usually not need comforters at about age 6, maybe even less, however, I like/need to have something that I can suck on such as my thumb or a lollipop, and when I sleep, I have this special ribbon which I have had for goodness knows how long and I don't like sleeping without it.

Inwas just wondering, is it realy that uncommon to need comforters at my age? Obviously I refrain from sucking my thumb in public, but I have an armies worth of lollipops for whenever I need one though. The part which really worries me though, I managed to break away from needing things like that and even stopped sucking my thumb for a while, but I seem to have regressed into it again, and maybe worse than I was before?

I just don't know how anyone would take me seriously in a relationship if I needed my comforters still, any suggestions? >.<

2. Sam I Am

If it helps, I'm 27 and still sleep with the stuffed penguin I've had since I was 2. Because penguins make everything better.

3. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is nothing wrong with having a comforter, regardless of what age you are. If the person you are involved with is serious about your relationship, then something small like this should not even be an issue. I myself have something similar, which I keep on my desk during the day and next to my bed at night.

4. Maeve

I'm 21 and I need a fuzzy blanket in order to sleep well.

5. WallWeed

The girl I've fancied for three years has a comforter that she always sleeps with. Perhaps it's odd, but I found it to be absolutely adorable.

Don't worry about it. When someone loves you, your quirks and oddities become endearing qualities.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Do what you do, unless your comforter involves mutilated kittens -- then we're going to have a problem.

As for me, I have two "comforters". I have a trench coat that I wear, and it doubles as a sort of security blanket if you will. I also have this stuffed panda that, years ago, was given to me for a Christmas present. While I don't sleep with it, it sits on top of a dresser, overlooking my bed. It's nice to wake up sometimes and see that.

7. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am 25 and sleeps with a teddy.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I take it you mean "comforter" as a stuffed animal? If so, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

I've always known the term "comforter" to mean the thick blanket that goes on top of all your sheets. :grin:

[​IMG]

9. ChameleonSoul

Good to know I wasn't the only one that thought that this thread was about thick blankets.

But yeah, it's not a big deal. I know plenty of people that have comforters and I don't think any less of them.

10. TrueColors

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have a stuffed lion... Named Fred.

11. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    M&M.JPG

I always sleep with my M&M pillow. I didnt start sleeping with it until I was 25. Im 27 now and it will never leave my bed. It gives me something to cuddle at night.

12. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I still sleep with a stuffed bear my parents gave me when I was little.

13. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I have a rotation of stuffed animals I sleep with!

14. Yosia

Thanks for all your replies everyone! However the main thing i was worried about was the thumb sucking and needing to suck on something >.<

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I carry around my messenger bag that has all my pills in it and other stuff most everywhere. Unless, I am popping in somewhere for a few minutes(like a pit stop etc.), it is always with me! Why? What if something happens where I am stranded somewhere and need my pills? I also have a change of underwear in there just in case. I have IBS, and it gives me peace of mind. I also have condoms in there too.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was very young, my dentist was adamant that I shouldn't suck on my thumb lest I misshape my teeth. Having an oral comforter is not the best thing; not only do you risk pulling your front teeth forward, but sugary replacements for your thumb will only serve to make it worse.

My advice is to try to catch yourself when you feel the urge to do it. If it's not too emotionally stressful, try to cut it out by noticing when the urge comes and telling yourself not to do it. I sometimes go through odd habits (stretching my neck or raising my eyebrows, especially when tired) that are hard to break and give me an odd sort of comfort. It takes a few days or even a week or more to cut it out, but it's much better not to be dependent on a habit like that. Just try again to stop it and make sure to be vigilant of a return to it; it can look rather immature even if it's harmless and you may be judged, as well as possibly harming your dental health.

17. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if by comforter you mean an item that makes you feel safe, I actually lost mine a couple years ago. Mine just so happened to be a quilt.

My mom used to work in a clothing factory. They would bag up the scraps in huge bags (about the size of two of the big bags people put leaves in) and would sell them to their workers for something like a dollar. My mom lived in an old drafty house when she was pregnant with me. She bought a bag of scraps and made herself a quilt. After I was born it became my quit. It was always my quit. It had grass stains from using it playing picnic as a kid. Had a burn mark from where I made a tent over a lamp. And a multitude of other stains and rips. But damn it it was MY QUILT. It was always on my bed all year even if it was summer it stayed folded on the foot of my bed.

I had it on the bunk in my semi when work slowed down. By the time I went to retrieve my stuff from the truck someone had thrown it away. To this day I miss it. If I was depressed or upset I would wrap up in that blanket and it was just like a warm calming hug.

18. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I had a pillow that I snuggled with and carried around with me until I was 13. Now when I sleep some nights I end up snuggle one of my pillows, and I'm 22. You are not alone.

19. badluckfairy

Not a big deal I don't think. I slept with a stuffed animal till I was about 15 or 16.

20. arkangel

19 and I still sleep with a stuffed stitch as my pillow. (stitch the Disney character)