1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend thinks I have a drug problem

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lear, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Lear

I don't want to start a debate on principles about drug use here but I'd like to hear your opinion on the following:

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday and we talked about my habit of thinking too much and getting worked up about things. She asked me if there was any situation where I was able to relax completely and stop thinking, so I told her honestly that the only time I can completely let go and relax is when I'm either drunk or high. I think I shocked her a bit with that statement, which wasn't my intention... it probably contradicted the way she had seen me until then. In her opinion this is alarming and I should talk to someone "before it gets worse". I think this is rubbish because I rarely do these things. Now she thinks I'm in denial and playing things down. I am perfectly aware that alcohol and drugs are bad but as long as you don't use any of it on a regular base, I don't really see a problem there.
    To make this clear: I have never been really drunk (never had a blackout or puked or whatever) and I don't even remember exactly the last time I've taken something because I do it so rarely. My friend's opinion is that it doesn't matter how often I do it but the reasons for doing it, so what I call "having fun" she classifies as substance abuse. I think she is overreacting but I'd like to hear your opinion.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea it sounds like she is overreacting, lol that was funny though, so people should get help with their drug problems despite only doing it once, now if you have done something like cocaine or heroin then thats a problem

3. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    If U can control that's good...be careful that's all I have to say cause drugs control me they decide whether im happy or sad..its all about your personality...i got hooked on spice/alchol and almost lost my sanity im still having issues with abuse and memory problems..when the only time your happy is when your high that is not normal cause I've told myself that for years...please be careful you can lose every thing...sorry for bitching I've lost alot of friends cause of my addiction...all drugs can fuck with you marijuana to pcp its all about the person....you will know when its a problem trust me....no im not against drug use I just can't use.... im an addict

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, first let me say that it is good that you can be honest about only being able to relax with chemicals in your bloodstream. if your usage is as limited as you describe, then your friend may be making too much of it. but don't get upset with her. instead thank her for her concern. but the other issue is not being able to relax without the chems. not life threatening, but definitely a quality of life issue. are in in therapy, or is that a counselor you can speak to about your inability to relax? maybe you could get some help with that. It's not a weakness or a defect to get some help with something. being stressed all the time isn't good for you. (&&&)

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the real truth here lies somewhere in the middle.

First, I see no evidence from what you've described, assuming you're describing it accurately, that there's any indication you have a drug problem currently.

Let's put it in a different context, and talk about numbing. Numbing is something that *everyone* does at one time or another to avoid usually emotional pain or some sort of psychic overload. Drugs and alcohol are one way to numb, but there are many others: workaholism, excessive gym use, comfort eating, cutting, video gaming, watching an entire season of a TV drama or sitcom in one sitting, compulsive sexual activity (including compulsive masturbation), many others.

Some level of numbing overwhelming emotions is normal and necessary. And some people who are highly intellectual find that alcohol and recreational drugs are an easy (though not healthy, and not a way I'd recommend) way of "turning off" the mind for a while.

Where it becomes concerning is if you view alcohol and drugs as the go-to coping strategy for when you feel stressed, under pressure, depressed, or some other feeling you want to numb. Because if you're in a period of your life (which most poeple go through) where things suck... it would be easy to get sucked into addictive patterns if alcohol and drugs are the go-to numbing behaviors.

So I think your friend is correct in expressing potential concern *if* that is your main coping strategy. But from what you're describing, it is only a potential concern at this point, as there's no indication it's out of control, and you don't seem to have any stressors that are causing you to want to numb.

Another issue is which drugs we're talking about. Opiates, amphetamines or benzos are pretty high risk for addiction; alcohol and weed are somewhere less so.

There are much healthier ways to numb, blow off steam, or decompress than using drugs or alcohol, and learning these strategies could be a good long-term plan for you to avoid the risks. While it doesn't sound like there's any immediate concern, it might be wise to at least think about your coping behaviors and figure out if that's something you want to look at.

6. Lear

Thanks for you great replies! :slight_smile:

My drug experiences are limited to weed and mdma (and ritalin if you want to count that), I never felt the urge to try anything else. I went through a bad time when I was 17/18 when I was finishing school and had a lots of problems with my girlfriend at that time. I relied on caffeine pills and ritalin for studying for my exams and smoked weed any other day to relax. I realise this wasn't the best way to deal with problems but I stopped doing it after I finished school and broke up with my gf. I tried mdma for the first time shortly afterwards but then I didn't take anything for a year. In the last 1.5 years I have occasionally smoked weed and taken mdma but it's far from being a regular thing. I never had any bad experiences and I have set certain rules for myself, like never doing it alone and only buying stuff from certain friends that I know have experience with this kind of thing. I still love the feeling I get when I've used mdma but that's exactly why I rarely allow myself to do it. I think if I ever start doing it regularly might get much more suggestible and might get curious about trying other things. I have some friends who are completely relaxed when it comes to drugs and I have other friends who condemn anything that's the slightest bit illegal. So I'm kind of in between and not sure which side I'm on.

#6 Lear, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. bi2me

How old are you? Based on the current research for marijuana, it is primarily an issue if you are using and you are under 25. It can cause all kind of issues both short and long term, but obviously it is more harmful the more you do it. Red flags include using alone, using before/during school, using more than once a month, trying to quit using but being unable to stop, using despite there being consequences...

I can understand wanting to be able to loosen up. I tend to be a bit of a control freak who is more open when a bit tipsy (alcohol). Be careful (and legal) :slight_smile:

8. Lear

I'm 20. The other things don't seem to apply to me, so I guess I'm fine then.