1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercises for Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GreyArchery, Jan 11, 2015.

1. GreyArchery

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some advice on the types of exercises that are best for weight loss. I'm specifically trying to lose weight around my middle/trunk, butt, and my thighs. I know there are plenty of resources I could find using Lord Google, but my goal is to not only lose weight be to get a more androgynous looking build and frame. I am a FAAB, and I already have a wider body frame, especially in my shoulders.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

- Alyx

2. RadioRoss

I would try out pilates. It can help you lose weight and get a more toned body, and there are tons of free videos you can find on youtube.

3. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Exercises that work your core muscles will build muscle. Examples are crunches, planks, mountain climbers, and what's known as V-up. V-ups are pretty much where you lay flat on your back with your legs straight out and your arms laid flat above your head (I hope that makes sense), and then you raise your legs and the top half of you body up to make the shape of a V with your body. Running, riding a bike, and lunges and squats will work out your butt and your thighs. Running especially. However, exercising alone won't result in significant weight loss. You have to adjust your diet as well. Less sugar and trans fat, smaller portions or the suggested serving size. Hope that helps some and good luck!

4. 20 mins of circuits is good.
    i love it cuz it isnt doing the same thing constantly for 20 mins. it rotates with like 3 mins cardio, 2 mins abs, 1 min strength. around 3 times. or something near that anyway. so its good for me.

5. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

DO NOT do crunches! They are horrible for your back. Also stay away from the elliptical. It is an unnatural way of moving your body. The best exercise for working everything is walking. Power walking. Weight loss is 70% what you eat and 30% exercise so even if your working out for two hours a day, if you're eating junk, it defeats the purpose.

#5 XenaxGabby, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
  6. AddyGrow235

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    you should join the gym because there fitness trainer can suggest you best exercise for loss weight fast also help you what you have to eat to that keep you healthy.

7. GreyArchery

Thanks for the heads up! Are normal, full sit-ups okay to do, or still bad for your back? I don't like ellipticals anyhow - they always made me feel like a T-Rex trying to run quickly... it was weird...

Also, thanks everyone who has posted suggestions. I know that weight loss requires diet as well as exercise, and I'm currently working on improving what I eat. I would still greatly appreciate any other thoughts/advice for weight loss exercises. Pilates was mentioned, but what about yoga or tai chi or other stretch-based workouts?

8. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Your welcome! Bit knowledgeable after years of watching weight loss shows and reading stuff:slight_smile: No, avoid regular sit-ups as well. One of the best exercises to strengthen stomach muscles is the plank. I don't do yoga or tai chi but I've heard it's really good. Also, when working out, drink plenty of water. It's a really good idea to add a few drops of lemon juice to your water as well. Stop eating after 8:00 pm and NEVER skip breakfast.

9. GreyArchery

Good to know. I never, ever skip breakfast. I'm usually hungry within the first 10 minutes of being awake, and I turn into a total rage monster when I don't get breakfast. I'll have to set an alarm for a bit as a reminder for no food after 8pm - I don't usually but there are some days that I do.

Lemon juice!! I *love* this stuff! It is so sweet and tasty. Is it something that I can add to water throughout the day or only during workouts? Also, is there an amount of lemon juice I should avoid going over (ie, a limit to how much I can have a day)? I can't taste sour - everything sour registers as sweet to me - so lemon juice is extremely delicious to me, and I know lemons can be bad for your teeth.

Thanks again!

10. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

You just put a few drops in your glass whenever you drink. Um, you know I'm talking about the lemon juice you use for fish, right? Not lemonade. Eat plenty of veggies and nuts. Almonds are really good. In regards to meat, avoid breaded or fried stuff. Actually, avoid fried anything for a while. A healthier option if you want a "bad snack" is air-popped popcorn with a little butter. And if you do crave chocolate, a small piece of dark chocolate (70% cacao is best) is actually good for your heart.

11. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Avoid doing exercises as those will not really help, in fact they will make you more hungry. Basic cardio together with calorie counting (according to BMI) will get you the results you need. As well as watching what you eat and drink.

12. Zombi3

Drink plenty of water, and skipping! Or going for a run. Don't eat at night.

13. robclem21

This is not good advice. Exercise is not only an important element of weight loss, but is important in maintaining fitness and a healthy lifestyle. Yes, you will likely eat more and have a larger appetite as a result of any exercise (both cardio and strength training), however, self-control and portion size in diet are important as well, and having a larger appetite doesn't really change the the fact you will need to monitor these two aspects of your eating habits.

You eat more because you are increasing your body's resting/basal metabolic rate (BMR), and burning more calories when you aren't working out, particularly when you do strength training. In turn, this is why your body is craving more fuel. Provided the fuel is healthy and balanced, there is nothing wrong with this and you will still lose weight as long as you don't eat more than you burn off. Exercise is vital if you have plans for long-term weight loss with an emphasis on sustainability rather than a quick short term loss followed by uncertainty and inconsistency. It will also help with your heart and lung capacity and overall fitness.

14. GreyArchery

Yes I know you're talking about lemon juice - the stuff you can buy in the produce section in the yellow lemon shaped bottle, right next to the lime juice - and not lemonade. I'm serious when I say it's delicious to me, my taste buds literally don't register sour so instead sour things taste sweet to me.

Thanks for the other food tips as well!

15. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I found that having someone to exercise and diet with will help you both achieve your goals.

16. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go out for a 40 minute run 3-4 times a week, eat healthy and drink a lot of water.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a book I could recommend, it's called Cardio Strength Training, by Robert dos Remedios,; I have found it helpful (if not easy!).

When engaging in any training, you will need to eat both carbs and proteins, the trick is to eat the right things (the book comes with nutritional advice as well).

18. op if you do go for a run deffo not a good idea to go straight for a 40min run for your first run, work up to it. or even any length of running. i learnt the hard way.

if you do take up running, take it SLOWWWW. its hard on your knees and takes practise to run 'just right'. do 2 mins run 2 mins walk about 5 times for your first then build up every week in 2 min blocks till you get to 10 mins straight. then you can go 3 mins extra per week, then 5 more the longer you run.

19. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not a good advice.

Cardio is good, strenght training is not, if the goal is to lose weight, then building muscle mass can act as a deterrent. As well as the added risk factor of slipping due to need to increase food intake. It makes the whole process of sticking to a certain BMI, highly volatile and hard to maintain, especially if a person fails to count the burnt calories. Also, the food that one needs to take to gain muscle mass, is different than the diet needed to lose

20. robclem21

First of all, I am a certified trainer, and have lost over 50lbs and kept it off for over 5 years, so my advice is not just random. It is from education and experience.

Building small amounts of muscle (different from bulk mass) is very beneficial to weight loss. Muscle tissue burns wayy more calories than fat tissue. By building small amounts of muscle, you have a higher metabolic rate which lets your body burn more calories during times of the day when you are sedentary (which is probably more like 15-16 hours a day compared to 1 you are exercising).

The extra food you consume is beneficial fuel to your body and will not alone make you gain weight unless it is empty calories and not nutritious. There is no risk of slipping because of added food intake any more than the risk without strength training. I am not saying to bulk up with 50 lbs of muscle, but tone, lean muscle mass is vital to losing weight. Yes, the diet is different, but not drastically. You seem to be confusing body building strength training with lean muscle strength training which also burns a lot of calories itself.

Lastly, BMI is the worst measure of being fit and a healthy weight because it doesn't take into account body fat content. It is the most simplistic form of measurement and is not reliable because again, fit muscle mass weighs much more than fat. 150 lbs of fat looks and feels much different (and bigger) than 150 lbs of muscle.

#20 robclem21, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015