1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving My Legs...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mikeyy, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Mikeyy

Okay, so my mum's given me $100 to buy summer clothes, which means NO JEANS! Basically, I'm not going to wear shorts unless I shave my legs. I'm not going to shave my legs until I come out (even though straight guys do it now...)

But my actual question is, is there anything i should know before trying it? Like... I have hairy legs, should I trim the hair first? How do i do the back? how far up should i shave? like should i do my butt?

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from girls

:grin:

2. Trumpetplyer23

Uh....Well...I shave my legs, and I usually do up to my knee, because I wear long shorts and you can't see my thighs. I know girls and women that shave their entire leg, because they're more comfortable with that.

Also, when you shave, use soap or shaving cream on your legs. That helps prevent cutting yourself and you can get a smoother shave.

If you shave your face, it's kind of like that, only there's more area and the leg skin is a little bit tougher than face skin.

As for shaving your butt, I've read somewhere (I think it was on EC too) that shaving your butt can be a bad idea because you can cut yourself really easily and that would be really bad. But, don't take my word for it because I don't personally know anyone that does that.

Shaving your back...well, you really can't. You could have someone do it for you or you could go to a professional shop and get it waxed. Yes, waxing does hurt, but it's not really that bad.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I always shave up to the knee. I'm not very hairy though and what hair that is on my thighs is white. So it might look silly if you are really hairy to only shave to the knee. I would trim the hair with scissors first. It might be easier to use some kind of hair removal lotion like Nair. However, test it on an area that is non-conscpicious first. Make sure it will work and that you are not allergic to it. Then you can apply it to the entire leg. Be careful not to get it near the genitals. (ouch!) The stuff kind of smells bad (at least to me) so whenever I've used it, I do it at night. That way you can shower a couple times removing any smell residue before going out in public.

4. isnessofwhatis

I shave what skin is going to be exposed.

ALWAYS use shaving cream or soap and water. Preferably shaving cream. Razor burn is VERY painful.

5. -Michael-

Why do you want to shave your legs?

6. Jim1454

I have to wonder the same thing... why bother? I'm sure your legs can't be THAT hairy!!!

And if they are, I'd just use a trimmer rather than shaving them down to nothing. That simply requires shaving them again, along with the itching and whatnot that goes with it.

7. Myke

Myke Guest

I shaved my legs once when i was 14 just for kicks haha
    but yeah why shave your legs? Do you not like hair? It will just grow back darker.

8. Siateac34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't shave, it's itchy and unpleasent and it grows back faster every time you shave it.

If you're a guy, you might wanna invest in an epilady, which yanks out the hair at the root (it hurts, but it's effictive) OR you could go to a salon and get waxed.

Waxing is really the most effective 'cos it's the fatest, least irritating solution.

Lucas.

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true. That's what I did at least. For the most part. :slight_smile: Sometimes I did more. It depends. Shave whatever you want to. :slight_smile:

10. Nicknikko

well i shave my legss. I shave the whole leg because believe me you will love weird if you only shave to your kneww haha

After you get used to it.. it's not that bad :slight_smile: I just like to be smooth and plus it looks way better and cleaner than having all that hair.. but yet again that's me.. i really don't like hair at all :slight_smile:

11. zackattack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I shave everything just the way I am.... Smooth is the way I like and it shows off my abs more ha ha. I was a swimmer in school and just got used to shaving everything to swim.

12. Grantious

I've done that epilady thingy, i think it was intended as a torture device hahahahah! seriously i'd rather the hair personally, leg hair on guys isn't too bad lol

13. Gumtree

The Epilady products do work but they're hard to use yourself, just like it's hard to wax yourself. You always have the instinct to want to do it slowly or stop when it hurts too much - thus I suggest salon waxing.

If you're going to shave, do it after a hot bath/shower, use shaving cream, shave the same way you would your face except you can be a bit rougher (depending how high you go, careful if you're going to do your knees).

Wash with COLD water after and MOISTURISE (very important) after every shave.

P.S
    Shaving DOES NOT cause your hair to regrow 'thicker' or 'darker' - both are just myths and nothing more. It does regrow faster but only to an extent, after 3-4 months of regular shaving you will set into a ruitine of once every day - 8 days depending how hairy you are.

#13 Gumtree, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  14. Mikeyy

I personally don't mind a BIT of hair on legs, i just think mine would look better without it.

And i don't want to have to shave every day... every 8 days wouldn't be too bad.

As for waxing... too expensive.

15. I don't see what the big deal is about hair on your legs... I have fairly hairy legs, but it doesn't bother me. Hairy legs on other guys doesn't bother me either, unless it's like bristly and sticks straight out.

16. Kyle Tristan

Kyle Tristan Guest

i shave my legs when i need to show them off :grin: haha, usually when i wear shorts,
    the thing is it's hard to keep up, my cousin told me to let them grow and wax them so yah i'm still growing them so no shorts for me yet :grin:

17. Gumtree

This thread isn't here for you to try and convince Mikeyy against shaving his legs - it's to give him advice on how to do it.

Just adding another 2 cents to the pot.

18. RonApple

RonApple Guest

I shaved my legs once i think, then it got itchy and too much work. But if you got hairy legs, then perhaps use a hair-trimmer thing first to get rid of most hair. Perhaps u mite even like that style, else if wana do a propper shave, then wip out the razor and shaving cream

19. Mikeyy

Thanks everyone.

Now I've just got to work on the whole coming out thing... lol.

20. Mikeyy

Okay...

2 nights ago I trimmed my leg hair. My parents noticed earlier today. Mum kind of laughed at me, said it looked silly and not to do it again. Well, tonight I shaved my legs, kind of in spite of her.

She doesn't know yet. I may have to come out to justify it... so, wish me luck!