1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So if I wanna start running, what clothes should I get/wear?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lazuri, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Lazuri

Keep in mind that I live in Sweden and it's the middle of the winter. Shit get's cold.

2. if you google cold weather running, there is a page that tells you what to wear.
    is it icey? if so i would get some ice pick things that go on your shoes.

starting off you dont need proper running gear, but i did just so i knew to stick at it lol. its made from some weird material thats not cotton. and feels sort of swimsuit material-y.

depending how cold. usually a base layer long sleeve another tshirt long/short sleeve doesnt matter, a hat, leggings and socks. plus shoes. i think windbreaker leggings are warmer than the normal ones.
    non of your layers should be thermal. even though it might be cold youll warm up and be drenched in sweat if they are thermal.

if you wanna start with normal clothes, youll be okay with sweatpants, a long sleeve tshirt and another tshirt over it probs. but cotton and i think its nylon (i could be wrong on that one tho) are really bad for running cuz they make you sweat like anything. although they will do till you get more into running of course and find you want to stick at it :slight_smile:

a scarf if its super cold could come in handy, and gloves. but i wore a scarf and ending up overheating when it was super cold once. so ya. gloves are always handy cuz they are small enough to shove in a pocket if you get too warm or you could get mittens on a string thing and use those so you dont have to putthem in your pockets. i use strong mittens cuz its easier for me to not have to worry about putting them away if i get too hot can jut keep on running with them dangling down from my arms (cuz the pockets on running gear is enough for keys and maybe youre phone and thats about it lol they bulge over loads when you put gloves in them but still does the job).

hope this helps.

3. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just gonna add one thing: Buy something you like/feel comfortable with. It will help to keep you motivated.

When I started running I wore leggins, a long sleeve tshirt under a short sleeve tshirt over, a hoodie and a raincoat.

4. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I wear are running tights- they make them for different climate zones. There pretty comfortable and help prevent injury as well. And I have running jacket as well.

But for now, I would start with clothes that you do have and once you do get in habit of running splurge on some running clothes since they are kinda expensive.

5. Riz

Riz

Okay this is gonna be a bit weird with me replying but hey, gotta start somewhere don't I?

I have to admit I don't really run in the winter because you feel less motivated and it's too much snow to run in the woods like I usually do. (Though if you have the right shoes and socks it might be quite the workout)
    I do however love to run in very late autumn. I usually wear a pair of leggings, t-shirt and a hoodie. Also legwarmers, hat, gloves and a non knitted scarf.
    Since getting actual trainers leggings I use them, there are kinds both for warmer and colder weather, they adjust better to the change in temperature as you run and get hotter and keep you warm before. But regular leggings work as well. And sweatpants over if it's really cold.

But really, go outside with way too much clothing. Better too hot than cold. And you can either go home and take off a few layers, or just dress lighter next time.

#5 Riz, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  6. Lazuri

Hey, I asked you about this in the past and you basically shrugged and said "sweatpants?"

7. Riz

Riz

I didn't know you were very serious about it, just asking in general. But I hope what I said now helps somewhat.

8. Lazuri

Well, if anything we can figure something out when I get home.

I went up 13 kilograms since I moved. I mean, I was expecting a few kilograms, but fuck.

9. Riz

Riz

I don't really care but I'm just gonna say. Just because there are unhealthy stuff around the house, doesn't mean you have to eat it. At least so much of it.
    I think for your own well-being would be feeling better doing some running and eating a bit better. Even just a little.

10. Lazuri

Oh, I'm not blaming anybody else but me, I'm well aware that this is my fault.

11. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know how cold it gets in Sweden, but usually if it's cold out and I have to run, I wear an Under Armour-type shirt with a t-shirt and a sweatshirt. Toboggan hats are quite helpful for keeping your ears and head warm. Make sure you have something covering your head, because when you sweat, that's going to be the first place where heat will leave your body. Some thin gloves are also good, because then you can still do what you want with your hands and you shouldn't have to deal with too much hand sweating.

With the pants situation, tight sweat pants that aren't going to get in the way of your shoes. Adidas makes some good ones, and I believe Reebok has some as well. Some leggings would also likely be beneficial since they're one more layer of protection from the cold. I've run in freezing rain with a pair of leggings on and my legs felt fine.

You really don't need anything special, though. Honestly, you can go out running in your winter coat and your favorite pair of flannel pajama pants if you really want to (something I've seriously considered before). Just definitely make sure you cover your head; I can't stress that enough. You'll get hypothermia in five minutes if you start sweating without your head covered. And shoes are really important, but I'm sure you already knew that.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wear yoga pants a t-shirt. :3

Around here, it's too icy to run outside in the winter, so I just stay in the gym.

If you are running outside, depending on how cold it is, make sure you head is covered, and your hands must have very good gloves on them. I ran outside in -11 C with inadequate gloves for only fifteen minutes, and it was one of the most painful experiences of my life.

As for the legs and torso, you don't need a whole lot of coverage. The first ten or fifteen minutes of running will feel quite cold, but then everything gets okay. If you over-dress, you'll sweat, which will put you in a hazardous situation should you grow tired and start walking. It's better to be cold a few minutes than to dress to the nines and sweat after twenty minutes. You'll definitely regret it.

So, keeping in mind to dress your extreminities appropriately but not overdress your core, I say have fun with winter running! :3