1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving my body

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by CyberStar, Jan 14, 2015.

1. CyberStar

For the past several months now, I've been trying to shave my body, but keep running into problems. Namely, when I shave it hurts a lot and I have lots of little red bumps (particularly around my pubic area). How can I shave myself to the point where my skin is perfectly smooth WITHOUT all of the bumps and scrapes? (Note: I am a trans*woman, but haven't started transitioning yet. Not even hormones.)

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you using any kind of cream/lotion to shave? Are you using a new razor or an old one? New ones will cut smoother.

3. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

What she said...

Dull blades suck. When I was regularly shaving my face, 2 weeks max for daily shaving.

4. CyberStar

I started with a oldish razor. Then I used a newer one with that after-you-shave lotion stuff. Then I tried a brand-new one with shaving cream. I think maybe the last one didn't work because I had just shaved not too long ago. Now, however, my hair has grown out and I am ready to try again. But I want to avoid having all those painful little bumps and a burning sensation on my legs for days afterward.

5. Jonathan

The painful bumps and redness is called razor burn. You get it because your skin is not used to the irritation that the shaving is causing. This is particularly present in sensitive areas, such as your pubic area.

From experience with shaving my legs, the more that you get in the routine of shaving the less that you should get razor burn. I've been shaving mine for years now, and I no longer get any razor burn whatsoever. By doing it regularly, your skin starts to become more used to the irritation. However, you should be extremely gentle when dealing with very sensitive spots like your pubic region.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    a couple of points, shaving after a shower makes the hair softer and less resistant to being shaved, use a good shave cream and a moisturizer ( this may help with the burn) use a fresh blade and let the blade do the work (dont press too hard and streach the skin too much)

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you've identified the problem. I'd also recommend using quality blades, cheap ones can come out of the package dull. On my face, I've been using Gillette Proglide Fusion blades for years. These each last me about 3-4 weeks, I always make sure they are fully rinsed off before putting them down. I've just started using some Bic blades for my body, I don't have a time frame for those yet. After you've been shaving a little while, you can easily feel when it's time for a new blade. And, after shave can burn if you use it, but it should only be used after shaving, it won't provide the required lubrication for your blade(s).

8. Lear

You could try oil instead of shaving lotion. I use baby oil in sensitive areas and have no problems with skin irritaton anymore. It might also help shaving in the direction of the growth of the hair, it takes longer but it's less irritating for the skin.

9. ANewDawn

My biggest problem with shaving anywhere is that my hair grows back so fast. I have to shave every area like every other day to keep it smooth, and even then the razor just doesn't cut close enough to the skin so you can still see the roots. I hate this about my body and never feel comfortable showing my legs or underarms. Am I doing something wrong? I use shaving gel and bic razors.

10. i used to be like you but then i shaved once too many times/pressed to hard or something and my skin was red raw from shaving but i didnt realise till after. so i shave once/twice a week at most cuz the pain was horrid and it stung so bad to put on deodrant for the next few weeks aaah D: (please tell me someone else has done that lol?).

i think everyone can still see the 'black' like spot thingys. unless my body is just weird. i think waxing is the only way to elimate that, cuz waxing pulls the hair right out whereas shaving just gets it shorter for x amount of time. how many blades does your razor have? i thnk you can get 4/5 blade razors now, so that will cut it suuuuper close to the root. but i use 2 blade ones, 3blade ones i find drag on my hair no matter how much soap/shaving gel i use D:

youre not doing anything wrong.