1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

food poisoning?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by spencer, Oct 26, 2008.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

I think I have food poisoning. I have had diarrhea, nausea, a fever of 106 that keeps going up, and abdominal cramps for a few days. I have also vomited several times.

2. Gumtree

Sounds like food poisoning.

Do you have any idea as to what gave it to you? The kind of food poisoning you have is normally related to a specific food.

List anything out of your ordinary diet from 3 before you started feeling ill till when you noticed you were sick.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't think you get a fever with food poisoning. It sounds more like you've caught something. Usually food poisoning is violent but you get over it rather quickly. It would probably be wise to see a doctor. Running that high of a fever and being sick can get you dehydrated rather quickly.

4. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'm no expert thats why i lok it up:icon_bigg http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-food-borne-illness/FA00043

fever doesnt really fit but you never know. basically you should just rest and drink plenty of liquids. it helps for both cases whether you have food poisoning or are just sick. if it gets too bad you should see your doctor.

5. SamAlex728

106? From what I'e heard, once you hit 103, you need to go to the hospital.

6. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  7. Gumtree

You can can get fevors from food poisoning but normally not severe. I don't get your temperature system so I had no idea that was high :/

8. buriedinhw7

At a temp of 106 you run a risk for brain damage. I'd go to the ER as soon as possible.

9. SamAlex728

Seriously, that's dangerously high, actually 3 degrees above dangerously high, get someone to take you to the ER, and you should not drive with a fever that high.

10. spencer

spencer Guest

I went to the ER or what ever it’s called last night. I had to wait for THREE HOURS. When I seen the doctor he said that I have food poisoning. Of course I called it something in Latin and I had to ask what it meant. My fever has gone down. It’s at 103.6. So far no brain damage! I didn’t know you could get brain damage from a fever. I still have all the other symptoms. I’m now making a list of the foods that I ate. School food is at the top of my list. Some other thing that probably caused it include: sushi, shrimp chimichangas, General Tso’s chicken, and a Big Mac.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My gosh, you put away all that food? No wonder you are sick! I had no idea you could run a fever with food poisoning. Karabulut, is this normal?

12. spencer

spencer Guest

I didn’t eat all that in one day. I ate it throughout the week before I got sick. Those are just the foods that most likely got me sick.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ohhhhh...........good. That just about made me sick reading it. :grin:

14. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I seriously doubt it was the school food.
    Cafeteria food is delivered to the schools mostly prepared, the cafeterias only have to heat up and put into the paper baskets (or plate, or box, or whichever is used to hold the food).
    And if it was school food, others would be sick too.

I'm glad you have no brain damage!

15. KaraBulut

It's not uncommon for people to run a low grade fever- usually 100F (37.8C) or lower- especially from staph or strep food poisoning. Bacterial food poisoning is often not a reaction to the bacteria, it is a reaction to a toxin that is produced by the bacteria when it grows in contaminated or poorly preserved/refrigerated food. The toxin is what makes the person with food poisoning feel miserable.

It is possible to get a viral or bacterial infection from food. This does often happen in schools but not necessarily from the food. Most often it is because people aren't washing their hands. It's passed from person to person.

The fevers that OP mentions are out of the ordinary and the fevers were that high, a stool sample probably should have been collected to pinpoint the cause.

16. Gumtree

I'm going to jump to conclusions and say it was either the sushi or shrimp.

Rice (not the fish) in Sushi is considered the second most contaminable food and causes some serious food poisoning.

McDonalds and General Tso are pretty safe food, despite how unhealthy they're food is they have EXTREMELY strict hygiene rules.

17. spencer

spencer Guest

I sure it was the sushi. At first I thought that the Japanese people at the restaurant might have put something in the food; they hate us (my family). But now some other people who ate there are sick too. Not as bad as me… lucky bastards.

If it was the school food it wouldn’t be the first time. Two years ago about 150-200 kids were sent home in one day because they got sick. By the time it was all over only about 100 students and staff didn’t get sick.

18. Tim

Tim

My sister said it may be the stomach flu. Which prompted me to look up the actual symptons/etc.

Common Symptons:

Pain or Discomfort in your Abdomen
    Diarrhea
    Nausea/Vomiting
    Upset Stomach

Was that the thing he said you had? If I might ask. lol

19. spencer

spencer Guest

I think he called it vibrio parahaemolyticus. I probably misspelled it. He said that it normally lasts up to 72 hours, but thanks to my immunodeficiency I can have it up to 10 days.