1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oral Sex Question

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by alwayshope11, Jan 19, 2015.

1. alwayshope11

Hello all! I just have a question / would like opinions on this!

I am negative via a blood test for HSV 1 and HSV 2 (herpes). I am getting into a new (first gay) relationship and was wondering what I should do about condoms and oral sex. Since I haven't been exposed to hsv at all and most people have, I am worried I will get it more easily on my junk if someone goes down on me. I have read a lot of conflicting things and just want to see others' thoughts. Thanks!

2. Wardrobe93

im sure you cant catch anything from recieving oral sex and as long as you dont swallow you should be pretty safe giving but im not a medical professional

3. alwayshope11

I guess I'm just wondering if people take this risk...since most doctors don't even test for hsv and I feel like asking a partner to get that test would open up a wormhole of questions..where is the hsv etc.

4. Maeve

You ABSOLUTELY can catch STIs from receiving oral sex.

HSV1 usually lives in the mouth (aka cold sores) but can be transferred to the genitals, even if there are no active sores. Gonnorhea, syphilis, and HPV can be transmitted orally. It's also possible to get HIV if the infected performer has a bleeding sore or cut in the mouth.

If there is contact of the genitals, vulva/vagina or anus/rectum with genitals, vulva/vagina, anus/rectum or mouth, there is potential to get STIs. Safer sex is better sex.

5. alwayshope11

So you use condoms for oral sex?

6. Maeve

Well, they make flavored condoms for a reason... :eusa_danc

If you are hooking up, absolutely use condoms for any sort of sexual activity. If you are in a serious, long-term relationship with someone who is clear of testable STIs, it's at your discretion.

tl;dr: yes.

7. alwayshope11

true..i just feel like no one does lol

8. Maeve

It's up to you, obviously. Just be aware that people can and do catch STIs from oral sex. Communication with your partner is key!:kiss:

9. alwayshope11

Just u guess have to be safe within reason and go from there..whatever is meant to happen will happen

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

there is a lot of information on this on the internet, on places like WebMD. Just google something like "oral sex std" or something like that. I have read that while you can pass herpes between oral and genital, it is different strains and it generally doesn't thrive in the other environment. but that doesn't mean "can't" so there is risk. I also recently read about the surge in syphilis infections, and how it is very easily passed, even from receiving oral sex. I don't use a condom for oral sex, it just seems like too much, but there is a risk. I recently got strep, and I think it came from giving someone a bj. Maybe his dick had just been in someone else's throat, because strep is very persistent. so there is a LOT of stuff you can get from oral, on either end.

11. alwayshope11

Does anyone make potential partners get hsv 1 and 2 blood tests? I know they aren't part of normal std screenings and I find a lot of conflicting info online :frowning2:

12. MisterTinkles

Ask at least three different doctors, that way you get three opinions.

There are also flavored condoms out there, if you are interested.

Just dont pick the green one......it isn't lime, it's mint!

(I mean REALLY.....a MINT condom?????):confused::confused::confused:

13. alwayshope11

What is ur rule of thumb sparkles?