1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i have asthma?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RadioRoss, Jan 23, 2015.

1. RadioRoss

I've dealt with breathing issues quite often, in a few situations. For example, today I was at a field hockey practice, and since i was constantly sprinting and pushing myself, I started to breath really hardly. I was able to breath, but my chest was burning, and every time i breathed in my chest felt very constricted and the air going down my throat felt almost solid. It's a bit hard to explain, but it was just a very painful feeling. I've been coughing quite a bit too, after the practice.

Another time when I have these issues are when I'm anxious. This of course could just be from anxiety, and it's pretty much just hyperventilating....despite that, it still sucks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And lastly, the one that makes the least sense....is that out of no where, it'll just be hard to breath. It never happens during a certain period of time or when i'm doing something physical, i sometimes just find it hard to breath. It's kind of like breathing in and out in these situations isn't satisfying my lungs, if that makes any sense...

Anyway, if anyone could help out or give some advice, that'd be great, thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Lazuri

Well, asthma constricts the windpipe which severely limits the amount of air you get inte your lungs, so if you feel like you're not getting enough air and that breathing hurts your throat, there's a good chance you have it, especially if it can happen at random.

I'd see a doctor as an inhaler might make life easier if that's the case. Some cases of asthma can go away, fortunately.

3. Fafner

I have exercise-induced asthma, and what you're describing sounds a lot like it. It gets really hard to inhale properly, the lungs feel really sore and restricted. Also I get this sharp, cold pain in my windpipe. You could see a doctor and ask to try out an inhaler. Sorry if you have it, but then at least you have an excuse to skip field hockey ^^

4. soag

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Was it cold out? I get the same feeling you described when I'm running or exercising in the cold. Cold air just kind of hurts to breath deeply. At least for me. I also have anxiety and will feel a shortness of breath sometimes for no reason. Especially during times when I'm stressed, not like an anxiety attack brought on my anything specific, but just more generalized anxiety. It's exactly what you described, I can feel that air is clearly passing into my lungs, it just doesn't feel like it's satisfying my lungs. It always passes if I just focus and remind myself that I feel the air going in.

So, I mean, it could definitely be asthma, but if you go to a doctor and he says no, at least you know you're not the only person like this.

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have asthma since 5, and from what you wrote it seems like a start of something, it is not necessarily asthma, but the best thing to do would be to see a doctor.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might look if there are things you are allergic to.

Cold air might be prevented with a shawl... well not during sports, maybe a turtleneck could help... you could in general keep your neck and upper chest region warm...

You could try some meditation/stress relaxation exercises, and deep breaths a few times a day...

Asthma is often connected to not being able to exhale. Your lung is already filled with air which cannot go out. You might try to calm down and exhaling and inhaling more deeply and regularly...

Additionally to visiting a doc, you might try some natural remedies, like tea... chamomille tea, for example...

I hate to tell you but this might in some cases also even have psychological connections. Like having the feeling not having the air to breathe around some people. You could tell them to give you some space to breathe. Or your expectations of yourself might be too high. Just relax then, learn to enjoy yourself and the moment.
    There are quite good tutorials on these subjects out there, just pick one from a reputable source which really makes sense.
    If you feel you need help in this, you might consult a counselor.

#6 jay777, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  7. m e l v i n

yeah, the others are right.. based on what you're telling, it's like asthma, especially if you wheeze a lot too during these times of heavy breathing, and like you'll run out of breath if you try to move a lot..

i have asthma too.. when i was younger too much physical activities like running short sprints at full speed and also certain foods trigger my asthma.. luckily, my asthma doesn't trigger as easily and and as frequently now.. i can run for hours now and my asthma from food allergy doesn't trigger as much now.. i think you can really "grow" out of this up to some extent, but yeah, you should still check a doctor, it might not even be asthma,so you better consult him..

as for the asthma attacks which you think just came "out of nowhere", it's probably not really just "out of nowhere".. asthma can be triggered by many things.. like mine is triggered my too much physical activities (like yours and like the others, and they call it exercise-induced asthma) and food (due to food allergies most probably, though acid reflux and heartburn can trigger asthma too).. other causes include sinusitis (so that out-of-nowhere asthma attack could have been triggered by anything that would cause sinusitis like common cold, pollution, air is too hot or too cold, etc..), stress (so if you're over-fatigued at that moment, it could have been the cause too), even some food additives, scented candles and air fresheners too.. another asthma trigger is, believe it or not, laughing or crying too hard.. it's silly, but heavy laughter causes great changes to breathing pattern so it can trigger asthma.. it actually happened to me once, man it's one of the worsts..

anyway, i hope that helped somehow.. but like i told you, consulting a doctor would still be your best option :slight_smile: i'm wishing for your good health :slight_smile: