1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis (IBD)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by badluckfairy, Feb 4, 2015.

1. badluckfairy

I've suffered from a form of IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) since I was 12, diagnosed as IBD since 2002, and since last year confirmed as Ulcerative Colitis in my case after years of them unsure whether it was Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis.

With the nature of it, it does inevitably put a big dampner on my sex life. I am often ill with it, and even when I am in my weller periods, having anything put up the anus (toys or a penis) is something that can be quite difficult.

I've had problems with confidence over it, and also problems with relationships. The guys I've been with have sometimes found it very off putting and too much to cope with.

Does anybody else suffer from a Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis?

If so, how do you cope with it and how does it affect you?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I don't personally suffer from Crohn's, but I know a number of people who are living with it, and there have also been a number of threads here, so I'm pretty sure there are other members that have it or similar conditions... you might search the archives.

I can also recommend Gabor Maté MD's marvelous book, "When The Body Says No", which is a meticulously documented book exploring the emotional and psychological origins of numerous diseases, including Crohn's. It is a perplexing and difficult disease to treat, as you no doubt know, and Maté's discussion of the issue opens a new window on the origins and how it is best addressed.

3. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have Crohn's and was diagnosed a little less than two years ago. I've spent most of that time with the disease being active. I've been through the hell of having a GI refuse to believe that I was in a flare, even when I had scopes and biopsies done that showed inflammation. I fired her and got a new GI, who has successfully managed to put me into remission. One thing that has helped me is listening to the stories/thoughts of other IBDers (Sara Ringer is my favorite) and speaking with the folks at crohnsforum.com.

In my case, IBD has no effect on my sex life, as I am a (mostly) aromantic asexual. However, there are voices in the IBD community who have talked about the impact of IBD on one's sex life, so you might search for them.