1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSRIs, weight gain & mood

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by anonym, Feb 6, 2015.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

I've been taking 45mg mirtazapine (remeron) and 50mg setraline (zoloft) for a year now and 30 mg mirtazapine for about 8 months before that. My mood has stabilized significantly. However, I have put on loads of weight and it just keeps going up and up. As someone who is a recovered anorexic, this doesn't sit well with me and it worsens my dysphoria. I can't work out whether the weight is food related because I always seem to be snacking, even though I'm not particularly hungry, or whether it affects how my body stores fat. I have cut significant amounts of carbs out of my diet with no effect. It's getting me down now. I'm going to see my doctor next week and thought I would bring it up and see how I could lose the weight. However, I'm scared of changing medication because I might go down again. Having said that, I wouldn't say my mood is great. I'm stable enough, but I struggle to take care of myself and don't enjoy anything anymore. If I didn't have to be somewhere, I could probably sleep all day.

Any ideas/opinions on this?

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have the doctor take a look at this and try to get exercise. Only a doctor can say what med is right or wrong for you.

3. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try excersizing. It's good for you. Plus, it'll lift your mood. :slight_smile:

4. lilrocket

Obviously, weight gain / behaviours that would lead to weight gain, are a common unwanted side effect of being put on some medication, SSRIs typically included! So, it's good you'll be talking to your doctor about this

With regards to losing weight, the simple solution is to find yourself on a calorie deficit. You can do this by controlling your diet, and through exercise. Joining a gym, and attending classes etc, or going running, all that kind of thing will be good for you, and enjoyable too!

I wrote this in another thread, so rather than type out something similar:

5. DinelodiiGitli

Ugh, Zoloft is a pain (I've been off it for a couple months now, got switched to Hydroxyzine) it can cause loss of interest in almost everything. Exercise helps of course and definitely talk to your doctor; let them know that you believe the medication is really helping but the side effects are bothering you.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, Zoloft made me sleep for 12-14 hours. Not good.

7. indiqo

this happened to me. I hate it so much.

with side-effects, if they are so bad they defeat the purpose of taking the medications to begin with then you should consult your doctor.

good luck.

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The mirtazepine is notorious for increasing appetite AND making you sleepy

a bit more will power on what you eat
    maybe lower the dose (with doctor's agreement)
    or discuss a switch of meds?

9. alwayshope11

I take Luvox ... I have been able to lose weight while on it through diet and exercise!

10. Sam I Am

There are a number of other options that aren't as bad for weight gain. If this side effect is a dealbreaker for you, then it might be worth discussing other options with your doctor.

11. BeserKK

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm on 150mg Sertraline (Zoloft) per day to treat depression and PTSD. I started on 50mg in July, and it was increased gradually to 150mg in December. It has definitely lead to weight gain. My mood hasn't really stabilised but I am better than I was 10 months ago. The problem is that it makes you lose interest in doing things, and that includes exercise. As you are a recovered anorexic, it would likely be the best idea for you to see your doctor and discuss alternative treatment options, or methods to stabilise the effects of the meds.

If the medication for depression is making you feel depressed, you should talk to the doctor as soon as possible so you can figure out the next steps. Don't come off Zoloft cold-turkey because the side-effects suck :slight_smile:

Good luck and I hope things improve!

12. GreyIce1

I personally recommend St John's wort, it functions as an MAOIs but with much less side effects. Be careful though as it is not compatible with common drugs like dextromethorphan or warfarin.

Source: I work in the medical field

13. Incognito10

Wellbutrin (at least that's the name in the U.S.) can be supplemented with SSRIs (or taken alone, but since your SSRIs seem to be working you probably don't want to come off them) to help offset some of the nasty side effects of SSRI. Personally, wellbutrin helps me with energy and fatigue. I am much more motivated on wellbutrin which leads to more exercise and activity; in addition, I think it serves as an actual appetite suppressant too. Google it.

(*hug*)