1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian on birth control

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Cutiepop, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Cutiepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm really upset about this I just found out I have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) and my doctor recommended I get on birth control to even out my hormone levels. I don't even know any lesbians on birth control, I have heard of trans people taking hormones and their sexual orientation changing. I'm scared of taking these estrogen birth controls and becoming straight, I mean that's my worst nightmare. I have a girlfriend and I LOVE woman but what if I only love them because of all the androgen in me? If I get more estrogen I'm scared of loosing myself and my orientation. Sigh.

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a lesbian and I take birth control because I have PCOS. Birth control pills will NOT change your orientation. You love women because that's who you are. I realized I liked women when I was 14. I started birth control when I was 16, and my attraction for women have grown, and that's because I have grown. Just try the birth control, and if you think it's changing your mood, then stop them. I've never heard of medicine to change someone's orientation. What birth control are they wanting you to take? I'm asking because some are on recall for health issues; such as, heart problems, weight gain, pseudotumor cerebri, etc.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    #3 jay777, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  4. poetofdarkness

I take birth control and it hasn't effected my orientation.

5. Lipstick Leuger

I am going through Peri-menopause, and my Gyn put me on Estrogen/Progesterone patches to help my hot flashes and it has not changed me. Hormones do not change your sexual orientation, but they can, at MUCH GREATER LEVELS, than birth control has in them, cause physical changes in your body. That is how you transition to male or female if you are trans. But the levels are so much different than what is in the Pill, that you can't even compare them. Also, even if you transition to the other sex because you are trans, you do not change your orientation. For instance, a male that is attracted to males and undergoing hormonal therapy for sexual reassignment, will become a woman who is attracted to males, or straight. Where society saw her before as a gay male, she was not, she was a straight female with the wrong genitals. So, hormones cannot or will not change your orientation. If it were that easy, they would have begun dosing us gays a long time ago to cure us! LOL

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Some tg people have changed their orientation.
    But its a combination of getting comfortable within oneself and hormones.
    Its not likely you would experience that. Your body is already female.

But changing hormones could have a few effects on mood etc. Not to mention side effects from pills.
    If there is a possibility to do this naturally with diet, exercise etc, I would check this with a doctor and try.

7. Alais

Hey Cutiepop,
    I wouldn't be concerned about hormones affecting sexuality, there are other factors to consider (side effects etc) but this wouldn't be one of them. People do take hormones if they are undergoing transition, but that is to match up the physical with what they already feel, not as some way to change who they are or who they are attracted too. That would be the opposite of transition surely, because it is about becoming who you are rather than becoming someone else.

I started on the mini pill in the last few months, and I was nervous too about changing my body's hormones. I have never been able to take other hormones because I have other health issues, but this one I have started to see if it can improve my life as it is a weaker/less potent uncombined drug. I have extremely heavy/painful periods, I am talking falling unconscious in pain and being unable to get up for several days with severe anaemic blood loss. For me these hormones have helped, but they have had side effects. Some good, I think they have improved my mood (I also have depression), but negatively I bled a little everyday for the first six weeks and might not be sure of my cycle for 6-12 months.

Basically, it is ok to feel nervous about hormones, but for medical reasons. This isn't going to change who you are, or who you love/or are attracted to.

8. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bisexual, I took birth control pills and didn't turn more straight. I think it's irrelevant.

9. anonym

anonym Guest

Birth control won't make you straight. I was on them for a year or more and it didn't make me interested in men. I half wished it would.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2015 at 06:46 PM ----------

Besides, you're orientation was likely set before birth. Scientific studies have shown part of the brain more closely resembling heterosexual men in lesbians and more closely resembling heterosexual women in gay men.

10. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a lesbian and I've been on birth control for a couple years now. It didn't change anything aside form help the cramps I have and prevent me from getting endromedaries that my family has. But it won't change who you have feelings for

11. TraceElement

I have PCOS as well. I've been on birth control for the better part of 10 years. It hasn't changed my orientation. If you have any questions about PCOS, just let me know. I have been around the block with doctors about this.

12. Sam I Am

I take birth control for ovarian cysts.

If you are worried about androgen, there's an option for you! The particular formulation in orthotricyclin/orthtricyclin-lo has mildly androgenic properties. I absolutely love it - I feel stronger and more confident, I put on muscle mass way more easily, and if anything, it's made me feel even more strongly about my girlfriend. Only downside is that it makes my skin kinda oily, but that's an acceptable side effect in my book.