1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Incognito10, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Incognito10

I have just about made up my mind that I am going to see a doctor to be put on PrEP because I feel that it is just the right thing for protecting myself and even protecting society by being part of a solution to HIV transmission.

For those who don't know about PrEP, it's a medication that can be taken by HIV negative persons to help prevent contracting the virus. Here is more information: CDC - Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) - Research - Prevention Research - HIV/AIDS

I've been studying it for a few months now and reading a lot of articles and one other benefit of taking this medication is that the doctor who provides it is required to do periodic STI tests (for both HIV and others) so you're essentially forced to always be knowledgeable about your sexual health and if something were contracted, you'd likely get it discovered and treated relatively quickly.

I basically just wanted to put this information out here for discussion and find out if others here are on it (and have experiences to share), considered it or maybe you've never heard of and now you've learned something new :icon_bigg Also, does anyone have any negative opinions about the concept...I know I've read some...

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is really important to realize a few things:

1) side effects may be an issue, and you must report the slightest such effects, whether expected or not, to your doctor.

2) There has been research to back up non-continuous use, i.e. so called "on-demand", which also seems to be effective.

3) Condoms must still be used at all times because there are a host of other STDs that you can catch, not to mention that HIV+ individuals who also have, for example, gonorrhea, are 4 to 10 times more likely to be infectious for HIV.

I really do feel this is a good weapon against the threat of AIDS, there are some who have argued that this may encourage more risky behaviour, but the threat of the other diseases should still be sufficient incentive to use the usual condom protection.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Incognito10

Yes, condoms still should be used for maximum protection against HIV and plus the drug does not prevent other STIs. With the 92% effectiveness rate of PrEP coupled with the the effectiveness of condoms, HIV rates could be greatly curtailed.

In studying and thinking about this med, one negative aspect it reveals is classism and socioeconomic privilege...think about those in countries (such as African nations) where HIV transmission is a huge issue, they are not benefiting from this and the social injustice is thus revealed.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2015 at 11:54 AM ----------

That would be a better option for some people because from what I understand the med must be taken daily to be effective and for some it is a real challenge to be consistent (forgetting to take the pill, allowing the prescription to lapse if late getting a refill).

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed it is. Plus if you think about it, it almost becomes the same as if you HAD HIV from the pill standpoint. My friend who has HIV has to take pills each day...and in a way, aren't people taking PreP doing so so they don't end up with a disease that requires them to take antiretrovirals every day? Again from the pill standpoint...obviously a lot more to worry about than just having to take a pill every day.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PrEP shows a lot of promise.

It also shows a lot of potential to be a disaster.

First, as far as I know, there's no long-term study on the effect of being on PrEP. The short-term study of PrEP makes it appear safe, but nearly all drugs have some toxicity to liver and kidneys, and have other long-term effects. In general, taking any drug has the potential to have pretty severe and dangerous side effects.

Second, there is a lot of concern that because PrEP is 90+% effective in preventing spread of HIV, people will start using it instead of condoms... and, worse, that people will use it as an excuse to bareback, as in "Oh, I'm taking PrEP, so we don't need to use condoms." Since there's no way to prove someone is actually on it, and if they are, that they have actually consistently and reliably taken it over a period of time (the only way it's shown to be effective), you can guarantee that there will be selfish assholes who want to bareback and will just lie. Can't really lie about whether or not there's a condom on your dick. :slight_smile:

I'm glad we have it as an additional protection, but I feel like it is really, really important to ensure that it is always, always, always used in combination with condoms, both to ensure that you really do have protection against HIV and, as others have said, to stop the spread of other STIs.

7. GreyIce1

Prep is specifically designed for certain individuals: those who have unprotected sex with partners where they do not know their status, people who are in relationships with a positive partner, sex workers, ect.

If you have safe sex and avoid high-risk behaviours, you DO NOT need Prep. It is designed for high-risk subgroups and not the generalised population.

There is no reason to have unprotected sex with today's knowledge. There is no reason to self-destruct like that. I would personally suggest NOT doing Prep unless you know you can't practice safe sex. There is absolutely no intensive long-term clinical studies on the effects of taking these powerful anti-viral medicines. Who knows the what the consequences would be decades later?

Source: I work in the medical field.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This PrEP stuff is very expensive anyways and can cause kidney failure in the long run. I think I will stick to condoms. :slight_smile:

9. andhow

Nothing comes without a price.

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Only you know yourself. Yes, the best advice is to never have unsafe sex, and never have a condom break. But if you have a history of having an occasional slip, a combination of PrEP and a committed effort to safe sex may be the best advised initial path. Once you can establish a track record of being responsible for practicing safe sex without exception (and if your regular partner is negative), then you can get off it. Again, always practicing safe sex is the best way to go, and should be the case even with PrEP, but you doctor can make the best recommendation based on your circumstances, including an honest discussion of your history. this is a medical issue, to be discussed with your doctor.

11. migval

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    GreyIce1 is correct. PrEP is really for people with higher risks like serodiscordant partners, sex workers, health professionals, etc. Always wear a condom I know its a PITA but I've never met anyone who said HIV is less hassle than wearing a condom. If you don't have a condom then don't have riskier sex, do something safer. Good choices make good habits.

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

and remember that PrEP only addresses the HIV problem. there are still a bazillion other infections, funguses, viruses, and specifically STD's that you can still get and PrEP will do nothing to prevent them. Herpes might not kill you, but it will be with you for life. Gonahrea, claydia, syph, etc are also no picnic. so it always come back to the fact that you gots to use that condom.