1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian sex, protection and other info

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lyjo, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyjo

So I was talking with a friend, and the question of what sort of protection lesbians have to use during sex came up. It's so stupid that schools don't teach us that! We've been taught how to use condoms, but I doubt I'll ever need to. My question here is what kind of protection do lesbians have to use? And also just the usual how does it work, sex toys, orgasms questions. I just need a bit of an education on this topic...

2. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I don't know much about the protection but I'm sure google has all the info! Lesbians use toys such as: strapons, double ended dildos and other things! Alot of lesbians prefer sex without toys ive heard! It's all about rhythm and motion when it comes to oral sex on women and you should communicate with your girlfriend if it is the first time. Lesbians also do scissoring/tribbing to achieve orgasm and there is a sex position called the 69' or spmething where you go down on eachother while one is ontop at one end and the other is on the bottom at the other.

That's my info. Go to google for more! x

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed.

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dental dams come to mind. You can catch STDIs regardless of your partner's gender. A lower risk doesn't mean there is no risk. Better to stay safe.

Ask your doctor about it. You were probably not the first one.

About how and all the stuff they do, there are resources out there for lesbians.

5. Lyana

Dental dams for oral, yes (or a cut-up condom). Condoms if you're sharing sex toys (change the condom for each person). Gloves can be used for manual sex (to avoid infection through small cuts on your hands).

I actually talked about it with the LGBT group at my uni recently and, um, none of the girls use protection with female partners. I don't know how representative they are, of course. But I do think gloves and dental dams have that "sterile" feel, so I can understand why. And of course, we aren't taught what to use and how to be safe. These girls know these things exist, but none of us have ever been told it's important -- not like condom use for sex with men.

6. lyjo

Thanks for the replies. And yeah, it's pretty scary that in 2015 schools don't teach us that stuff. I'm thinking about mentionning it at our next sexual education thing (which is next year) because I think it's important that everyone knows.
    For the rest, I will ask my doctor and when the time comes I'll talk about it with my parents. Just being curious :slight_smile:

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

and with the toys (this applies to both lesbian and gay), not only do you need to change the condom after each person, but also after each orifice. So, if anal insertion happens, don't then put it in a different orifice (actually, that probably is more of an issue for lesbians than for gays -- the only "other orifice" I have is my mouth, and I don't usually put toys there)

9. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

In regards to dental dams, it would be nice if they were talked about or shown in tv/movies featuring lesbian characters. A lot of times we mimick what we see portrayed on the screen. I wonder how many real-life couples actually USE them.

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I'll bet it probably runs about the same as how many gay men use condoms for oral sex.

11. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry (no actually I'm not) but I find the idea of dental dems and all that ridiculous.

I can't imagine going down on a girl while I am essentially not licking the girl but some plastic thing. I don't see any point in going down on a girl unless you are actually eating her, not some rubber.

I can assure you dental dems are not often used in the lesbian community. Very scarcely used.

I wouldn't go down on some random girl I just picked up so this isn't a problem for me, I guess if you have one night stands and want to eat out random girls you should invest in dental dems, but in general there's no use for them.

I guess the most likely way a girl could catch an STD from another girl is rubbing vaginas together or if one of the girl's rubs her vaginal fluids into the other girl's for lubrication, if you don't know whether the girl you're sleeping with is clean then don't do that...or using toys with a random girl without a condom/cleaning the toy. But in general, the idea of lesbians using protection is kind of silly.

#11 blueberrykisses, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  12. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

^ I think you should use them for at least a few months when you get into a new relationship, and get tested before you first have sex. There are flavoured dental dams you can buy. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

13. chocolate dream

This is a good point.I dont remember ever seeing on screen lesbians talking about or practising safe sex

14. lilrocket

I can say I've never used any protection during sex with another woman.. I think this is the typical norm, though admittedly, very likely not advisable

15. ANewDawn

I didn't even know there was such a thing as safe sex for lesbians till I looked at the resources on EC. No one talks about, probably because the risk of transmission is comparatively low. While you should definitely take into consideration how much you know about your partner, I have to agree with blueberry kisses that the idea of going down on a piece of plastic or wearing a glove is a huge turn-off for me.

16. lyjo

The risks of STIs are still there though. I'm surprised that so few lesbians use protection, whereas there most gay men use condoms. Blueberrykisses does have a point though. Gloves and dental dams don't sound appealing...

17. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

They were briefly shown (not used) in season 3 of The L Word.

18. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly I have never used any form of protection.. Probably not the safest but I just really never found it appealing to me especially now that I'm in a serious relationship

19. lyjo

Thanks for all the replies. This has really made me realise how taboo gay sex is at schools and in general, so I think I'll try getting my school to talk about it in sciences class. Using protection is a personnal choice, but we should at least be informed of what to use.

20. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I think it's pretty well known that gay men use condoms but not so much about lesbians.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.