1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye problem, maybe stye?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Maddy, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a little white bump just underneath my eye, amongst my lower eyelashes. It looks like the head of a pimple, but there's no redness around it or anything. I assumed it was a stye, but it doesn't hurt at all and it's been around a while (showed up a few weeks ago), so I'm not too sure. Has anyone had anything similar, and what can be done about it?

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't heard of it but I would go to your general physician just to be on the safe side. The eye is not a place you want to be taking risks with. Hope you're ok. :slight_smile:

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Gerry. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a neurological condition that manifests itself in all sorts of interesting ways, called neurofibromatosis type 2, and one thing it can do is cause skin tags, moles, tiny little fat deposits on the skin, stuff like that. It only just occurred to me (well, my mother just mentioned) that it might have something to do with that.

4. Jim1454

It seems to me that I had something like what you described. It was a white bump on the edge of the eyelid - I might have had one inside the lower lid as well...

I went to my doctor to let him have a look, and in the end it was a small deposit of calcium - again - if I'm remembering correctly. It eventually just worked it's way out on it's own. So IF it's the same, you have nothing to worry about.

It wouldn't hurt to have your doctor have a look the next time you're there. But if it's not bothering you, it's likely nothing you need to be concerned with.

5. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Fire
    I'm pretty sure a stye is red and quite painful so I think that can be ruled out. It could be caused by your NF but it's quite an unusual place for a neurofibroma, especially if you have type 2. I've met a few people with NF but only type 1, and so their condition is mainly the cutaneous symptoms. I guess your NF doesnt bother you that much seeing as it was your mom that suggested it might be the cause of you lid bump.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the replies. silas99, the NF affects the more major things for me (balance, hearing and eyesight are all pretty shocking). I don't actually tend to notice the things on the surface like cafe au lait spots or skin tags, because they don't affect me like the balance issue (can't really walk unaided) or the hearing and eyesight do.

7. Trent13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i had something like that before but it went away after a while

8. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just read back what I wrote and realise what I meant to say was that the skin symptoms must not affect you as badly, because I cant even imagine how annoying and unfair the hearing and balance issues are. Sorry if I upset you with my dumbass comment, I just didnt word it very well....English has never been my strong point.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's OK. I'm sorry about getting snappy, it's just that because I don't have obvious outward symptoms, a lot of people think I'm just putting it on for attention or to get sympathy or consideration with school or something like that, so I get very defensive.

10. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Well I'd say it's not a sty I get them all the time and the are red and really really sore so if it doesn't hurt it's not a sty. But that's just my opinion. - Go ask a doctor about it if you are concerned better safe then sorry.

11. hairdye

i used a gf's mascara once. i got a sty. not pleasant.

but with your condition. i say consult your doctor. ;x

12. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally understand what you mean. I've spoken to many people who experience vertigo, tinnitus and hearing loss....I think many people cannot comprehend how it affects someones life unless they experience it themselves. Thankfully I haven't. Don't let those people at school affect you because of their ignorance.

13. MattyPatty

I've got a friend and he has a bunch of little white dots beside his eye and they are all little fat deposits so that might be what you have. If it is a fat deposit then it's nothing to worry about.