1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must go to the Dentist

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Michael, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... the problem is...
    [​IMG]

To get drunk is not an option : I'm sure they will inject me junk.

How did you cope on the past with extremely painful, cruel and terrifying examinations?

Please :help: , I chose that pic for a good reason.

2. Hiems

Umm idk how dentists check teeth over there, but over here, for regular checkups, they put these strips in your mouth. You bite them, then they put this machine over your face. I think it emits X-rays. Then somehow a picture of your teeth is taken. It's a very simple procedure. Then they just clean your teeth.

And at the end, my dentist tells me whether there are problems with my teeth based on the X-ray pictures. Half a year to a year later, I come back and do it all over again.

I'm assuming you're just visiting for a regular checkup, which if similar to how it's done over here, is not terrifying at all. If not, then I wouldn't get too stressed either. It's better for you to get checked for whatever reason, so that the dentist can catch any problems with your teeth/gums (if any) before they become worse.

3. TraceElement

Have you asked about pre-sedation? The doctor can write you a prescription for Lorazepam or Haldol to help with the anxiety. You can always bring a friend or family member with you for support. Check to see if you can play music while getting it done. You can always tell the person cleaning your teeth to take it slow, and you can tell them to stop early if you need to.

4. HelloSweetie

Let the dentist know you are nervous, they have seen it all before! And really you have nothing to worry about, the dentist doesn't want to hurt you. I assume you have a problem that your going about? Remember, your dentist can help you avoid a lot of pain in the future.

5. Polka Dots

I wish I had an answer for you, Vodkabaret. I "cope" with my phobia by avoiding the dentist, and I know I need to stop that. Thing is, I'm terrified of having laughing gas or any of that stuff because I'm afraid of what I'd say. Last thing I need is to come out to my dentist before my family, ha!

Do you have something you could bring to help distract you? MP3 player? Phone? Hand-held gaming device (that's my inner geek talking)? And yes, the picture you chose to represent your question resonates with me, too.

May your visit to the dentist be as easy as possible!

6. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It might be worthwhile asking friends for recommendations, and trying out a couple of different dentists with routine exams before letting someone do something drastic.

As in any relationship where people are dealing intimately with your body, trust and communication make a big difference. I found a dentist I can trust, and although I still tense up, it really it helps a lot. She always explains what she's going to do, tells me what she's doing while she's working, and gives me choices. I trust her so much I even let her drill without anesthesia in certain circumstances. I know she'll stop if I change my mind.

I actually find the gynecologist much worse. Ugh.

7. Hiems

In addition, I believe some beta blockers can be prescribed for one time use as a means of inducing bradycardia, i.e. slow heart rate, and thus relieving anxiety.

8. RainbowMan

I used to cope by avoiding the dentist. This led to some major problems with my teeth, and LOTS of dental work (none of which I was sedated for). In the end, if you can find a decent dentist, it's not all that bad. Mine would stop when I told her to (she mentioned that I have extremely sensitive teeth), and one time for a filling I just would not permit her to continue. She aborted the entire procedure, didn't charge me a dime for it (it went to my insurance as an emergency dental procedure or something, which there's no charge for), and said "come back next week, we're going to try this a different way". She did exactly as promised, and this other way there was no pain or discomfort at all. She did a root canal as well on another tooth, again, maybe some slight discomfort during the procedure, but none after either session (it's done split into two appointments, at least that's how mine did it. Then there's the crown and stuff - all in all about 5 appointments for a root canal and full restoration)

In fact, I'm going to the dentist again in a few weeks. It's not anything to be incredibly concerned about, IF you have a GOOD dentist. I had no idea how much difference that makes,

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

google "painless dentistry" and see if you can find a listing in your area

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know you mean it well guys, and I appreciate it, but I'd rather get drunk at home, and then make Siri call a taxi before and afterwards. The vodka is handy, I like the taste, and I know my limits.
    No cheating allowed... They might give me an injection there, but no fuzzy-fuzzy pills.

I went to the dentist the day after I made this thread, and I was incredibly dissapointed as I found out that they gave me an appointment... For the next week.
    The place was crowded, and I'm taking it as a sign that the dentist might be good (you just got to love the power of wishful thinking in such situations...)

I'm trying to get over the fear itself, once and for all, you know, 'cause it's plain silly to me... I mean, it's not like I'm on a jail in the middle of Siberia, as a political prisioner, or something... And to be honest, to expose this here has been so far a great help... We'll see tomorrow... Whatever happens, I'll post it here, in all its glory (ok, I'll spare gory details). Maybe I don't need a hug this time, I need an uppercut... So if I chicken out, feel free to unleash your creativity, your verbal skills, and all your worse qualities against me.

Well, against me being a coward and a fool.
    Tomorrow., please, and only IF I chicken out.
    Thanks in advance.

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Just be sure to tell your dentist that you have a high fear of dentists and a very low tolerance for pain. They don't want to have to deal with a patient who is all tenses up or jumping around in the chair. I told my dentist that, and they gave me enough injections in my head to numb a horse. Of course, I would rather find a dentist who does the little pill painless dentistry thing. Maybe next time I'm due, I'll look for one of those.

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm alive... And the dentist and the rest of the people there are alive as well.
    Results - After a Röntgen, he found out I have two third molars (a.k.a. wisdom molars) downside, and they must be removed... By a surgeon, sadly, 'cause of the weird way they grew up and the location. They looked like \ ,,,,,,,,,, / Very neardentalerish :icon_bigg

Last time I went to the dentist (my old one) I had three teeth removed : Two third molars up, and some random molar. All in one session, all upside. He gave me three injections and even I was still in pain, we went through it on a couple of hours. It wasn't pleasant, and I had no idea that evening that such a thing was going to happen, it went all too fast, that's maybe why I ended up with this ridiculous fear. It was like "Oh, we have to remove three". Me "Hmmm, okay... Can we get this done now?" Him "Sure, if you want to" Me "Does it hurt?" Him "Naw..."

... It didn't hurt at all... I think both the dentist and me were dying there. The poor guy ended up angry as hell, and I had three nurses at my side with worried faces, if eyes could kill... I think he was so pissed off that he made a couple of extra turns. After that I made efforts to sit perfectly still... Right now I'm laughing as I remember the scene, but back then it felt like a living nightmare.

I was smoking as soon as I left the dentist, and of course I had my drinking later and my dinner, and I had no complications. He was also very skilled. Even if he wasn't your average mr. smiley nice guy, he made a hell of a good job. And I remember he was sweating and trying desperately to do his best, he could have just taken the first chance and pull, or make an extra cut to make it easier for himself, but he kept looking and analyzing until he finally found the best way to do the job.

I think it was admirable the way he handled the situation, 'cause I wasn't behaving like a grown up man that evening (I tell you I had three nurses around, they were afraid we might end up killing each other)...

Ok, long story short, this new dentist was totally nice and all, and they had all sorts of things to distract the patients (including loud obnoxious music). Nurses were extremely nice as well... But he has done nothing except making me an appointment with a surgeon. He told me about a hole and the need to make a crown later, but he'd rather send me to a surgeon first... In two weeks, so it seems it's not as serious as I thought.

I have had a leukocytosis for months (have been tested, no STDs or worse), that is why I'm messing around with dentists on the first place.
    Today he told me sometimes wisdom teeth might cause inflamations and stuff, so I guess I need to get this done.

I might to back to my old dentist, and ask for his opinion. If he can do the job himself, I see no need to go to a surgeon. I can't understand why the need for all the waiting, it should be easier to extract stuff next to my jaws than next to my head... right?
    He might even get the work done in a couple of hours, just like the last time.

I think the anxiety of having to wait is worse than pain. While waiting your imagination has the chance to run wild... Or at least that is my case. I'd rather take the pain than a bad result, anyday.

So, would you give the old dentist a chance, even if he is as nice as doctor House, but a good dentist? Or would you rather wait and give the surgeon a try?

13. lyjo

From what I know, wisdom teeth can only be removed by a suregon. There's a whole procedure, and most of the time, it's done under full anesthesia. Most people get them removed when they're teenagers, but it can still be done later. You'll be a bit swollen and sore after the operation, but it should heal quite fast. If you're not certain of what your dentist has said, you should go get a second opinion. But if it's for wisdom teeth, I doubt your previous dentist will remove them. And if you look up the procedure, you'll understand why it has to be done by a surgeon.

14. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    I would say the surgeon, but you should do what you feel is the right thing (sorry, that sounded weird/cheesy, but it's true :/)

15. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wisdom teeth can be pulled by a dentist, it depends on how they grew in. I had two of mine pulled when I was 19.

If they're impacted, then they need to be cut out, and that's something a surgeon has to do. If you trust your old dentist more, you can ask him, but chances are he'll send you to a surgeon, too.

16. Afterfshn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't want to be rude, but you have to face your fears because eventually the problems will increase and than you are forced to go, so either way you have to go. It's better for you to go today than tomorrow and you will be relieved when its over.

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, I had today the apointment with the surgeon, so 2 wisdom teeth removed, right now I'm recovering from the injections (he gave me four). It went so well, it was unbelievable... Zero pain.

Next week I'll be back, 'cause of the stiches.

Hopefully there won't be complications. He was unable to pull them out in one piece... He had to break them first and then extract the pieces... It seems kind of riskier to me...

Have you guys had a similar experience, with teeth being extracted this way?
    Did it went well, or should I expect troubles?

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a couple of wisdom teeth extracted by an incompetent idiot who actually had to leave part of the teeth in as he couldn't get them out. When I finally went to a real oral surgeon who was unbelievably skilled (he froze me with two syringes simultaneously), he also had to break the tooth in pieces because part of the teeth had fused to the bone. Lots of grinding and sounds like steel splitting but in the end I was all sown up and in pain for about 3 days after.

It went well, and the pain was managed with analgesics.

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ach, I knew it...

Did you take penicillin?

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it wasn't necessary, the oral surgeon did a great job (the pain did last a while though, it was a huge job).