1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enema use: how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by QueerTransEnby, Feb 24, 2015.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So call me curious and stupid, but I had to try out a bulb enema just to see what all the fuss is about. I had wanted to have water up my butt since I was like 13 or 14 when a family friend had a handheld shower. At first, I put it on my penis, which felt good to a degree, then I pointed it in an inch from my butt. It was awesome but only a little bit got up there. I was curious as to how more would feel.

So, I got my bulb enema in the mail today, and it was great. Cleaned me out as well as I have constipation w/ IBS. How much is too much(frequency and water amount)? I only used water and no soap. It didn't come with directions obviously. LOL.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main issue with too frequent use of enemas is the risk of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. That sounds strange, but the issue is that most of the mineral absorption in your body (including electrolytes) happens in the lower colon, where most of of the liquid from the feces (along with the minerals) is reabsorbed into the body.

Regularly taking enemas interferes with the absorption of the minerals by diluting the fecal liquid with water, which is why doing them frequently is not a good idea.

The soap can also be an irritant to the bowel wall so it is *definitely* not a good idea to do frequent enemas with soap except under the advice of a physician.

As far as frequency, I would not feel comfortable suggesting a frequency for someone with IBS because there are special issues with that. This would be a good question to discuss with your doctor.