1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym alternative?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by The Aquarius, Feb 25, 2015.

1. The Aquarius

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently in grade 11 and I am very skinny for my age (enough for my spine to poke out my back a little). I was wondering if to bulk up I could just do squats and push ups and how long that would take. I know it won't be a short time but just an estimate of how long I suppose if I did 50 a day throughout of each of more maybe. Any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

2. tulipinacup

I think if you want to bulk up, you also have to eat a lot. There are alternative ways to build a muscle without using any weights. Have you considered doing parallel dips? Pull ups are also good.

Remember that before doing any squats or push ups, you have to do a warm up.

3. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do body weight exercises at home and that has helped me build some muscle. I primarily do squats, lunges, push ups, crunches, and planks. The only equipment I use are a pair of adjustable dumbbells for rows and bicep curls. In the end it's much cheaper than a gym membership and you can do the exercises anytime. And depending on your body type you may have to start eating more to put on some weight.

Hope this helps!

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can get some muscle doing pushups and squats. For me, I gain really quickly at the beginning, so doing just a little bit to start will probably at least give you some gains. I get to a plateau though quickly and it's annoying... (I don't workout currently).

But yea you also should start eating more. Especially if you workout, you need to fuel the muscles.

Also if you're doing chest (triceps/some shoulders included) and squats, the other group you're really missing is back, I think. So maybe pullups too... or find some sort of back exercise.

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Like others have said, body weight exercises are really good for building muscle without the use of a gym. They will only get you so far though compared to weights but they are still effective. Apparently gaining muscle is 80% diet and 20% exercise so make sure you eat a lot if you want to bulk.

This guy got massive with only body weight exercises so its definitely possible - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress

This guy has some good advice too -
    Push-ups: How to Do Them Properly | NEAT STRENGTH