1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tests for low testosterone

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tightrope, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen commercials for "low t." I didn't know there was a clever name for it until seeing those commercials.

Given that I have a mental health professional helping me, my care is coordinated with my primary care physician. I have been asked to be checked for lipids, thyroid function, and testosterone counts. My lipids are never that great (I'm sort of borderline) and I have been able to move those around successfully on my own when I go nuts on exercising. I had my thyroid function checked less than a handful of years ago because of a rapid weight loss episode and it was fine. I will now ask my doctor to check testosterone levels. I suspect they'll be ok (they are adjusted for age bands) but there's always the concern that they won't be. I'm anxious when awaiting any test results. I'm anxious, period!

If they are low, what sort of treatment can they do? Is it pills, shots, patches? Is it expensive stuff or generic? Can a person boost testosterone through diet and exercise? Any personal experiences or anecdotal knowledge?

2. Section18

Section18 Guest

Ask for Testosterone,LH, FSH, Prolactin, Oestrogen, SHBG tests to be done.

Treatment are usually Nebido injections in the UK, not sure about elsewhere.
    You can also have gels and patches, but the problem with gels is that they need to applied everyday and you need to wait ages to let it be absorbed. Also, with gels you need to be careful not to come in contact with people (especially children and women) within a certain amount of time as you can rub testosterone onto them.

You can increase Testosterone levels naturally, although it will only be marginal, also it will depend on what is causing your low Testosterone.

You also have to remember that TRT is a lifelong thing that requires regular blood tests and doctor visits.

#2 Section18, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Maybe I can tell you something on Tuesday. I had an annual physical, and my doctor told me I've got low testosterone levels. I am scheduled to see him again on Tuesday, so I'll know more then. But I've been tired a lot for the past couple years, and prone to depression. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. (I've thought that the depression part was just from being in the closet)

4. Section18

Section18 Guest

Depression and lethargy are classic symptoms of low testosterone.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that there's a medical basis to what you stated. Or they could just be part of a depressive personality.

I wonder how prevalent low testosterone is in American men, unless someone has that answer handy.

6. Section18

Section18 Guest

I don't have the study handy, but there is a lot of evidence suggesting that men's Testosterone levels have been declining year on year since records began. I think in one study men's test levels had declined on average 1. something percent year on year since the mid 1980's. Search it.

7. Mrcake

Consider me an expert on this topic, as I've had to go through this experience. Testosterone has many different ways that it can be applied. Typically, testosterone comes in topical gels or shots. Some people decided to do patches, some people do injections, and some people do other methods like alcohol-based topical gels. Personally, I've done the injections and the topical gels. I've used Androgel before, and it's a topical-alcohol based gel that you spread onto your shoulders - I had a bad experience with it and it made me break out in cystic acne. There is a new product called Axiron that you apply in your underarms like deodorant, that works well. It's all personal choice or what your doctor recommends. Most doctors recommend shots or Androgel for older men, as that is the cheapest method of treating low T --- insurance companies cover those well.

One a side note: You should think about getting all of your blood tests again if you feel worried. Your cholesterol levels may have increased or decreased. Your thyroid levels could have done the same. It's important to get these tested just to make sure that you are healthy. Good luck! Hopefully you don't have get on testosterone therapy, it's annoying and very expensive.

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I checked the web for the symptoms, and this is what I found:
    Fatigue
    Weakness
    Depression
    Sleep disturbances
    In my case, I already know that I have low testosterone, because I've been tested and my doctor emailed me to tell me. These are all issues that I had told him about during my physical, without knowing about low T or that he was testing for it. My assumption was that it was a psych issue. WebMD said that low T is often erroneously treated as what the symptoms are, not realizing what it really is. So, I'll see what the doc says on Tuesday. But it's pretty clear that if you know that you have the low T problem, it's better to treat that first and see what happens before confusing things with a bunch of other meds. And if low T is suspected, to get tested. But obviously, in any case, the trick is to get to a doctor who can figure these things out.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, gents. The primary thing I've seen that shows a life change is how far an ejaculation travels (TMI, I know). I have cycled in and out of depression, sleep disturbances, and general fatigue and malaise over time. I'm hoping it will be within range.

I recently had a PSA test done and it was smack on target. However, I've been told that test is also not fully reliable. Great. *eye roll*

However, for this one, I'll be e-mailing the doctor next week to get it ordered. I'm thinking/hoping the blood panel itself is not that expensive (deductible issues).

10. Mrcake

It may be expensive to get this tested but definitely worth it. When you have low T it is hard to be happy. You can't get an erection so you can't get an orgasm... What's life like without sex drive? It's horrible!! I guess I'd say that it's better to fork over the cash and know that you are or are not having low T. Like I said, insurance covers low T pretty well, unless you are on a testosterone supplement that isn't very popular (Axiron, in my case). Keep in mind that you could also have these fatigue because of poor diet and lack of sleep if all your blood tests are normal.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    E-mailed the doctor tonight telling him my mental health provider is suggesting this. I also called the lab that would process the tests and got the prices for the various tests. Not bad, since I have to absorb some deductible related amounts.

I have less interest in sex but, if the opportunity presents itself, I don't have much problem with it at all. I will give you that a poor diet and weird sleep patterns might be at fault for this. I've put on about 10 pounds in the last 6 or so months because of that diet and my last blood tests showed way worse lipids than 6 months ago when they were a hair over a decent normal number. I'm considering 200 the magic number for total cholesterol.

Some things have gone on that my mental health provider is aware of. Things are hardly ever in a vacuum. When it rain, it pours ... or so they say.

Thanks for all the support. I'm hoping it's just another thing to put past me, as was that PSA test that allayed some worries.

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Saw my doctor today. And he discussed my low t test result. He said that now he has to test it a second time and do a sleep study. If its low on the second test then he can do the injections.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am booked for next week. I hope it's only one time ... and then it's over, as in "not the issue." I was once worried about a PSA test and it came back perfect. I think it's like anything else ... shades of gray. If your total cholesterol is between 200 and 240, and it always comes it at 205, you probably wouldn't want to be on statins. If it repeatedly came in at 235, then you might. My last MD was trying to put me on them for being in the middle of the gray area. I had to argue with him that I didn't want any more pills. No other doctor, prior or the current one, has even considered statins.

Maybe it's low for you, but not low enough. If that's the case, it sounds like you won't be needing the injections. I guess I'll know before next weekend. It would be funny if it's higher than average, taking into account other characteristics, but I doubt that, too.

I once ran a total cholesterol of over 300 in my late 20s, with everything else ok, at a weight of 165 lbs. Weird things happen. I've had some other test numbers jump, and then come right back down the next time.