1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to not want sex most of the time?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kinyayo, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Kinyayo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I mean I want to have sex but that's so rare that I feel like it's not important to me. I can do fine without it, however sometimes I get horny which is rare and mostly in the mornings or whenever I get up. In the evenings and nights I don't really want it at all. Add to that I am very nervous about it, even a thought of having sex with a guy I like makes me a little anxious, even if I want it. It seems like everyone around wants it at any given time and whenever I say that I'm not in a mood they look puzzled as if I am an alien. Not quite sure how to deal with it. Any thoughts?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's perfectly normal. It does not mean you're demisexual, asexual, grey-asexual, or any other 'label du jour'. You're just you, and you have a low-normal sex drive.

The nervousness you're feeling could well be simply because you don't have a lot of experience, which, in turn, can also contribute to the lowered sex drive. Anxiety, depression, and anger are all tied to decreases in sex drive.

You also don't say how old you are, and that can play into sex drive as well.

In short... you're perfeclty normal, and well within the range. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My guess is that as the anxiety gets more under control, and you begin to feel more comfortable with yourself, you'll find the sex drive increasing.

3. MrBrightside

Like chip said, dont worry about it. With my current guy we have barely slept together even though ive stayed over a good 15 times in 3 weeks at least! My sex drive vanishes when im nervous and when im sleeping with or dating a new guy i get nervous.

This might sound weird and might not work, but for me if i dont masturbate for ages my sex drive dries up, but if i masturbate my sex drive increases, like i just want to do it more. Sounds weird but thats my experience.

4. Kinyayo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the responses guys. I was a little worried about it recently because I thought that I might have some medical condition and I can't really do anything with it right now due to my busy lifestyle and financial difficulties at this moment. And I'm 22 years old. At this age I'm often assumed to have high sex drive. However I really don't and never did for some reason.

You are not alone. I noticed that too that when I don't touch myself at least for around two weeks my sex drive is gone but when I start doing it again the orgasm is way stronger than usual.

#4 Kinyayo, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. UniqueTomboy95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it is. Even though that the way that you know that your gay or not is to have sex but I am waiting till marriage to have sex even if I am FTM or anything.

6. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty normal. In my last relationship I hardly ever wanted sex. Mainly because I was burnt out on having it almost every day.... when I didn't really feel like it.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

everybody has different sex drives, or libidos. The important thing is that you eventually find someone who is a good match for your libido. Too many times, people treat this as though it is not important as long as they are compatible in other areas, and then it really poisons the relationship with one person being resentful that they are not having sex, and the other person resenting that they are always pressured for sex. but it you realize that it is important to find a good libido match, your chances for happiness will be a lot greater.

8. Theron

Chip, I have to insist on calling you out for that comment. That is incredibly rude and degrading to the asexual community, as well as to the demisexual and graysexual communities.

In a world where people are struggling for a way to understand themselves, you, as an administrator of such a site as this, should know better than to say anything to tear down someone's description of themselves, calling them a "du jour", or "special snowflake" as some of them hear.

I expect better from you.

9. DinelodiiGitli

What you label yourself as is completely up to you however I wouldn't consider you abnormal at all. Then again when you think about it normal is sort of relative; common would be more accurate I think. So no worries, how you feel is completely fine! ^^

I'm not really one to call people out but thank you for saying that. (*hug*)

10. deathorbs

deathorbs Guest

I think it's normal, and it's nothing to raise concern about. I'm the same way more or less, sometimes i'll feel horny but the majority of the time I'm indifferent.

11. Malkai

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've had a similar experience in the past when I was dating. I was into doing sexual things a lot throughout my life but during about a year or so I just didn't feel like it. I got horny from time to time but I didn't really feel like doing anything about it. Half of it was because my boyfriend got annoyed with me because I wasn't in the mood all the time anymore (and relationship issues) and half of it I have no clue. I just didn't feel like doing anything anymore.

It did pass eventually and I got back to how I was before.

I'm not sure if it's going to "pass" for you like it did for me but unless it's directly messing up your life (mentally or physically) I don't think it's something you should worry about.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm trying to walk a fine line here. The "label du jour" comment was out of line and I apologize for that. It does feel factual to me, as these unrecognized labels are popping up at an alarming rate, but it isn't a respectful description.

The truth is, there is -zero- credible research I'm aware of showing that any of the unrecognized identities actually exist as distinct, separate identities, and there is an overwhelming amount of anecdotal support from clinicians and other professionals that show that these identities don't actually hold up to scrutiny. Of the few studies I've seen, almost all were done by one person, who had a strong bias, and who conveniently overlooked the inherent confound that most of the studied population is identified with mental health issues (depression, anxiety, aggression) that have, as one of their primary symptoms, the exact same reduced sex drive that is consistent with the unrecognized labels.

The most common argument I hear counter to that is "Well, but they haven't been studied." Except that those in the field have, in fact, been looking at sexual identity for some 60+ years. All of the unrecognized identities have appeared within the last 5 to 10 years, and pretty much all of the validation for them is essentially consensual reality... a bunch of people get together and decide, between them, with no grounding, study, basis, or anything else, to actually verify that these identities are real and distinct from the well-established and well documented identities that exist. By comparison, we could get 100 people together and those 100 people could collectively decide that they are aliens, born on another planet. Perhaps they've had dreams or experiences or something that made them believe that. And perhaps they were born on another planet. But -- Occam's razor -- the simpler (and more likely) assumption is that they weren't. It's hard to make a much different case for the unrecognized identities when there are simpler, more common, and more logical solutions (identities) that fit, arguably, just as well.

To put it really bluntly, among the (pretty large) pool of clincial professionals I've spoken with on the issue, which includes sexologists, psychologists, clinical social workers, and researchers, there are almost none (maybe 1 or 2 out of the 100+ I've spoken to about it over the years) that find any credibility in these unrecognized labels. The common thinking is that they are descriptions for other issues that have nothing to do with sexual orientation, but manifest symptoms that mimic orientation or identity issues. (I've made this clear above, so I won't repeat myself.)

Now... that said, it is also not my place to devalue someone's beliefs. If you hold a belief that you are asexual, gray-asexual, demisexual, lithrosexual, or whatever other unrecognized identity you want to use, that's absolutely your right and your perogative. But where I have to draw the line is when anyone starts advocating for those unrecognized identities as a solution for people who are trying to find themselves. We aren't doing anyone a service by encouraging them to adopt identities that, by all credible accounts, are exceptionally rare at best (asexuality, by its proper definition) or don't appear to be actually different from already defined circumstances (demisexuality, etc.)

If any given label actually has validity, it should certainly be able to withstand discussion, challenge, and critical analysis. But whenever anyone tries to have any reasoned discussion, those who identify with those labels immediately scream that "their identity is being erased" which is a ridiculous, dramatic, and emotional argument that doesn't actually help in looking objectively at the situation.

I know this viewpoint is upsetting to those who hold those identities. That isn't my intent. And at the same time, we are doing a disservice to people if we simply accept at face value any unrecognized label. Anything as important as how people identify themselves deserves nothing less than to have some certainty behind it.

I hope you can see that the intent here is to ensure that accurate, scientifically robust information is out there to the people who most need it, not to devalue people.

13. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people feel the need to put themselves in a group, or find some term that explains who they are in a nutshell (at least sexually in this context) and they are not going to care if it's recognised or not. Personally I don't like labeling myself because I don't think any of those available are descriptive enough for me, so I'd rather not end up using hundreds of them just to get something across, especially since I only have the people on this site to "speak out to" and tell what I'm like. Other than that, I guess some would put me in the demi category because I feel I would grow an emotional attachment by engaging in sex with someone, so I only want to do it once we have a common past to look back on together, otherwise I would be left in the dust and devastated. "Oh I f*cked you, and I never want to see you anymore, bye" - I accept this might be an exaggeration but still...

The point is though, it's something about these people compressed into a single word. But personally I don't feel the need to describe myself as anything really... I've grown tired of justifying every little thing I do. People either get it, or they don't, and might actually look down on me because of how they interpret my behavior, but then they're really just doing a favor for me by going away.
    Like you said, it's related to other issues probably, but they do affect one's decisions regarding sexuality. It's not like people never take some word and apply it to other things it was originally not meant to represent.

OP, I totally feel for you man! Although I usually get this in phases based to my current level of depression. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to like sex even less than I in the world we live. Even my "attitude" is frowned upon by a lot. Never ever feel like you need justification for your interest (or lack thereof), just live the way it's right for you.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Completely normal. My drive is even lower.

15. Theron

Then frankly, Chip, I find your research and information still lacking.

Asexuality means one thing: You are not sexually attracted to anyone. It does not bar people from falling in love, it does not bar people from having a libido, it does not bar people from having sex, and it does not even bar people from enjoying sex. Not everyone has to be sexually attracted to whomever they sleep with.

Furthermore, depression would impact libido, not attraction. I found my husband during one of the lowest phases of my depression, and while I am not of the same level of sexual appetite as he, I am most definitely sexually attracted to him, regardless of my depression.

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry about that.

"Asexual", according to Oxford, means "A person who has no sexual feelings or desires."

If you don't have sexual feelings or desires, then you don't have sex drive, sexual desire, and you also don't experience sexual love.

Believe what you want. It's not OK to hijack a definition to fit some belief system with no grounding in research, scientific study, or broad acceptance among the professional community.

And here we have the classic non-scientific refutation based on a single experience that does not generalize.

Not everyone who is depressed loses sex drive. Many do, but not all. Plenty of depressed people masturbate, have sex, are in relationships. But you do find, often, that for those who are depressed and have no sex drive (and who would probably comprise a large part of the self-diagnosed "asexuals"), the sex drive returns when the depression lifts. Ergo, these people were certainly not asexual, because true asexuals are hardwired and cannot change, any more than homosexuals can change.

Sorry, but I'm simply not buying what you're selling. You're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't match mainstream thought by credible professionals and the field as a whole.

17. Theron

Chip, I don't know if there are any studies now, but when I was younger there were no studies to show that being gay is not a choice. If you think being asexual is nonexistent, then you are no better than those who think your sexuality is a choice, because they don't buy what you're selling either.

I came to this site to find an accepting community, as a whole, and to see this sort of discrimination against a particular sect of the LGBT+ community? This is not something I need. That's very disheartening to see that you're falling for the same caliber of garbage about asexuality that anti-gay lobbyists would have people believe about us. Please take some time to really think about that, because that's exactly what you're conveying.

18. Seagypsy

I actually agree with Chip in drawing a line under some of these newer labels that keep popping up, it's all getting a bit bewildering for many of us!
    Technically I would have to say I'm bisexual, because I can be attracted to men or women, depending on the individual, but that can be a very broad label so to narrow it down, I could say I'm "skoliosexual" (which is a newish label for those only or mainly attracted to androgynous people). But it sounds really bizarre!! And makes me feel even more alienated...

I do think there has been too much of an attempt to teach today's younger people more labels than they know what to do with. For instance, the concepts of masculine and feminine are being described by many people on here as "socially constructed" - which can be true in some ways but not entirely, it's well known that some aspects of life are either masculine or feminine - like masculine muscles or feminine curves. I love bodies which have very little of either, smooth and contoured, in between the 2 poles, the 2 extremes. This is the best and easiest way for me to understand my sexuality and if today's society wants to think there is no such thing as masculine or feminine, then that makes it even harder for me to make sense of myself. So some of these labels are making things worse, not better!

Thank you Chip for trying to point out this problem with labels, I appreciate it :eusa_clap

#18 Seagypsy, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  19. Seagypsy

I could also identify as Demisexual and pansexual, as I fit both those labels but I dislike the terms. When I'm around straight people I feel asexual but that's not me either!

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apples and oranges. The most solid studies that show that being gay is not a choice come from things like MRI brain imaging that show differences in brains. This has zero to do with asexuality.

OK, in rereading what I wrote above, I thought I'd earlier made something clear which apparently I did not (though I've said it probably a hundred times in other threads here.)

Asexuality most certainly exists. When we are talking about the actual, correct use of the term, it is quite rare (less than 1% of the population) and hardwired in the same way that sexual orientation is. The actual meaning of the term, and its implications, is described above in an earlier post.

So I've never said, nor do I believe, that asexuality does not exist. The other labels... there is, in fact, zero evidence to support their existence, and voluminous evidence (anecdotal and otherwise) that they simply describe experiences that a large variety of people experience that aren't separate from already-accepted definitions, and certainly aren't sexual orientations, in that they aren't hardwired.

Anything else, absent compelling evidence to the contrary, is just somebody's hijacking of the actual use of the term, or consensual reality with no basis in science, research, or even agreement among the professions. That's not in dispute.

Again, I'm not in any way saying asexuals don't exist. I'm saying the term is grossly misused and has been hijacked by a small but vocal contingent that hasn't actually looked at the facts, data, experience of those who work with these populations day in and out, and accepted thinking among those in the field.

I think comparing a focus on evidence-based practice (which is a value that the EC admin team and board hold pretty strongly) with anti-gay lobbyists who are the antithesis of evidence-based practice is pretty ridiculous.

As I said in my lengthy post above, it's a fine line to walk. If you want to label yourself asexual using criteria that don't match accepted thinking, that's certainly your choice. I can decide I have measles when I have few symptoms that match measles... but I can't reasonably expect that those with knowledge of the field are going to accept my self-diagnosis when it doesn't fit the diagnostic criteria.

I also can't responsibly try to promote a view that doesn't match current thinking, especially when there are often co-occurring conditions that may be influencing the symptoms I'm using to diagnose myself. That's incredibly irresponsible to others who are looking for accurate, honest information to figure out where they are.