1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started T and have questions

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GayNurse95, Mar 15, 2015.

1. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, as the title says, I have started T and have questions.
    I am on hormonal birth control and I am starting to think that its starting to cut out the effects of the T. I inject once a week. I have a form of birth control thats in my vag (the nuvaring). It keeps me from having my period to help with feeling more comfortable. I used to be hungry and had a bit of a higher drive, but its gone. I lost my appetite I had when I first had T.
    The ring is continuous. I just put in a new one recently.
    Should I take it out?
    How long does it usually take for periods to stop?
    does estrogen combat testorerone?
    does my size matter (I'm 115 and 5'4)?
    can anything increase the effects of testorone?
    thanks
    Yes, I went to a doctor for this and I had questions after the visit (yeah, great timing). I did leave her a message. I am hoping some guys know more than I do about it.

2. KayJay

I know this doesn't answer the most pertinent question but from what I understand Testosterone is "stronger" than Estrogen. I'm assuming your doctor knows about your birth control though, so if they didn't say anything it should be fine maybe? Definitely wait to choose what you do until after you talk to a doctor I'd say though.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It usually takes 2-3 months on T for your periods to go away. Mine were lighter before they totally stopped though. I've heard some transmen say that theirs were heavier. I know that for me personally, as I got used to my dosage, my hunger spikes when down (which I was really happy about). The only thing that can "increase" the effects is your body becoming used to it. This can take time, and it is why most are started on low doses and then they increase the dosages from there.

As for the birth control, it would probably be best to ask your doctor, because he or she would know best.

4. Hiems

I checked for drug interactions on my school's drug compendia, and there are none. I think because trans men who use contraception and testosterone are a population that has not been studied thoroughly, whether a drug interaction exists, and whether it's clinically relevant, is uncertain.

This is why it's important to check with your doctor about this issue, as you did, because they might be able to get an answer from other sources, be it through guidelines, case reports, etc.

5. Sam I Am

Androgen/estrogen imbalances can cause shit like PCOS. Do NOT play around with this. Get in touch with your doctor ASAP. And frankly, I think your doctor is wildly irresponsible for giving you T without asking if you were also taking female hormones too.