1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Condoms

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MrBrightside, Mar 16, 2015.

1. MrBrightside

Hey, this is a kinda complicated situation with my boyfriend that id like advice on.

Basically we've been together just over a month, and we're official and everything but one week into our relationship he cheated with another guy. Thats not the issue because when i took him back i said that was my problem to deal with and i wouldnt hold it against him, which i havent.

However i found out a couple of days ago that when he cheated he didnt use a condom, and they guy he cheated with is known to sleep around with alot of different guys. My boyfriend hates using condoms and is going for an STI test this week because he wants to stop using them, and ill do the same when i get round to it.

The problem for me is, the test for HIV takes 3 months for it to show up after you contract it i think. Which leaves me thinking hes going to get this STI test then ill have to keep insisting on condoms, which will make him think that i think he has HIV, which has upset him once already.

So basically whats the best way to handle this? Tell him to wait to take the STI test for a few weeks, since if i was going to catch anything else he has i will already have done so, or leave the situation until he brings it up again and just delay the issue?

2. KaydenWidz

Personally, I wouldnt have taken him back., But thats not the question here.

For "fairness" i would suggest not waiting to take the test. Even if he is your only partner, you could still have something u got from somewhere else. Not even talking sexual anything here. If you worrying about this really upsets him, just say something like "would you rather wear a condom, or be dead?" Obviously a bit nicer, Im an asshole XD. On the whole insisting on a condom for a while thing, I cant really help ya there. Mostly cuz I would have dropped him. But if he's yours, he's yours yanno? Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Also Disclaimer: If none of that made sence, Im sorry its like 5 am here and i havent slept yet.

3. badluckfairy

Maybe you should insist on using condoms until 3 months after the cheating, then do the tests, and to make that a condition that you don't leave him for cheating. It is only fair that he does that considering he cheated. He can't reasonably expect you to put yourself at risk because of that.

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The window period for HIV is a tricky little bugger, so waiting 3 months really is the ideal outcome to manage risk to yourself. Most cases of HIV (around 90-95% mark) can be detected after 4 weeks, but health professionals still insist on doing the test at the 3 month window if earlier results come back negative. At 3 months, you're looking at a successful detection rate close to about 99.9%, so you've got the right approach for managing the risk to yourself.

Unfortunately, there is no simple way of telling this to your boyfriend. It may upset him, but having unprotected sex with promiscuous individuals is a high-risk behaviour for contracting HIV, so he can't be surprised if you are wanting to look out for your own welfare in the meantime. He should spend a bit more time looking out for your welfare and understanding the difficult position *he* has put *you* in, rather than making you feel guilty for not wanting to play russian roulette with your own sexual health. If he isn't mature enough to accept the risks that come with his sexual behaviour, he shouldn't be having sex at all.

It's not our place to lambast you for forgiving somebody who has cheated. That's your prerogative. However, you are being more than reasonable in this scenario, and you shouldn't be the one having to tiptoe around him just to spare his feelings whilst trying to protect your own sexual health. If barebacking is a bigger priority to him than your well being then he is, quite frankly, an arsehole. It doesn't matter how much he gets upset. If he doesn't want people concerned he may have contracted HIV, there's clear information out there on how not to put yourself at risk. He knowingly disregarded that, and he needs to deal with the consequences of it, and accept that your well-being is more important than him rushing back into unprotected sex. That window period isn't just there to act as a minor inconvenience to him. It's there for a reason, and he owes you some respect by acknowledging that.

5. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

The best way to handle this is to stay the fuck away from him.

The recipe for the perfect fucking disaster is as follows:

- 1 stupid, unfaithful dick
    - 1 promiscuous asshole
    - 0 condoms
    - A bunch of STD's

And that's almost it. The only ingredient that will make it work is a guy who has lost his common sense somewhere along the way. Add that, and your disaster will be ready in no time!

6. zipitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can definitely relate - my situation was a bit worse. I had one "accident" with my boyfriend about a week into our relationship, and it wasn't a super big deal to him since we had JUST started dating and my "accident" occurred on a trip with a gay friend of mine to San Diego (planned long before we started dating) to a bunch of gay bars... at this point (over a year later) I'm 100% sure I can control myself. With that said, I did use a condom... and we only had sex with condoms anyways for the most part, but I did pony up and get a STD test anyways just to confirm I was clean (the guy I had my slip up with was a very promiscuous bar boy).

However it's definitely NOT JUST your problem to deal with. If your boyfriend can't realize what made him cheat, I 100% guarantee he'll do it again. My boyfriend cheated on me once also (so we've both been guilty of it) with a now-former good friend of mine (just oral, if it was all the way we wouldn't be together right now) several months into our relationship. It took me a very long time to get over it, and I guarantee you'll still have a little thing in the back of your mind for awhile. I still sort-of do to this date, but we're working on it.

Stand up for yourself. He cheated, he put you both at risk, he should have to wear condoms as his penance. Also consider the horrible possible reality that he does test positive - what would you do in that case? Also did he come to you telling you he cheated or did you have to find out? If he didn't fess up on his own, I would seriously consider leaving him. My boyfriend told me the very next morning, bawling and throwing up with how much he hated himself for what he did. That was his one saving grace.

I gave myself a bit more assurance. I contacted the guy who he cheated on me with - definitely not something easy to do since at the time I wanted to take a baseball bat to him, being that I knew him in the first place. He was also very upset with himself for having not only had sex with my boyfriend, but the fact that we were pretty good friends up until then. I point-blank told him that we were no longer friends, and that the least he could do is let me know when he was last tested, if he was negative of all STDs, etc. And they only swapped head - a next to impossible chance of transmission for HIV. He apologized profusely for what he did and even offered to send me his test results showing that he was negative for all STDs.

Not sure if that helps you at all handle it. Bottom line - he needs to figure out why he did it. I spent weeks of self-reflecting thinking about why I did it, and my boyfriend did the same thing for months (his, in my opinion, was FAR worse than what I did). And if you had to find out via 3rd party, you might as well just end it right now.

7. WallWeed

Wait, so... him CHEATING on you is "your problem to deal with," yet he's allowed to get mad at you for raising a legitimate concern of sexual health?

Run. Run fast.

8. zipitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If that's the case then yes, you might as well end it now before you become more invested in him. I read your original post along the lines of "well, its my problem to get over" not that he pinned it on you. If he pinned it on you, your relationship is a lost cause.

9. Theron

Agreed. 100%

And if you stay, no sex without condoms until his follow-up. You can develop HIV within 10 years from initial infection, so definitely wait 3 months at least.

10. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What, he can't keep his dick wrapped for just two more months? Boyfriends come and go, but HIV is for the rest of your life. If he would put your health at risk in exchange for a little extra friction during sex, then he's not worth keeping.

11. MrBrightside

Thanks for the advice, im definately going to wait the 3 months and make him get tested. I need to be alot harder on him sometimes.

@Zipitt, i work in the only gay bar in the city. So I saw him talking to a guy for half an hour, and when he thought i wasnt looking he pushed the guy towards the exit. The other guy knew about me and just turned and winked at me as he left... Then after work i text him asking why he left early, he said he put the guy into a taxi, which i knew was bullshit, and i just waited till i had proof then confronted him. He even paid £20 to a taxi driver so he wouldnt drive this other boy home... But that night he was in tears and everything and i took him back, and i said i wouldnt hold it over his head because you cant build a relationship on that basis.

The club i work in supplies free condoms provided by a gay mens charity (all gay clubs in scotland are supposed to be supplied free condoms and lube by the NHS but ive learnt they often arent), and the new condoms are "natural" ones which he much prefers so im hoping that the problem kinda goes away for a while.

12. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

So you knew he had lied to you, he had even paid money to get away with it, but you took him back, just because he cried and made you believe that he regrets what he did. And he doesn't learn from his mistake, he wants to keep on going like this.

You say a relationship cannot be built on holding this mistake against him. Can it be built on disregarding his actions that quite possibly endanger your health or even your life? I seriously don't know what keeps you by his side. This whole story is just one enormous question mark for me.

13. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Well, I'd be safe, and only worry about your own safety there.

I can only relate this, my boyfriend and I just recently decide to make things semi-official after 4 months of texting, and dating. We are "non-exclusive" boyfriends. Meaning we want to be with others (we're both exploring our sexuality,) and don't want to cheat on each other. We've made a promise to be open and honest, and somewhat selective in who we hookup with or try to date. Part of this process was his confession that between like our 3rd and 4th date he hooked up with a hot guy and had sex with him. Yes, I was jealous that it wasn't with me, but we'd not said anything about being boyfriends, or getting serious or anything at that point. He also confessed to having unsafe sex once (out of the 3 guys he was with.) That was concerning, but he's over doing that.

Yes, I'm a bit jealous that today he's asking a cute young guy out to his prom. But, he's been open and honest about it (and really nervous about both asking me for "permission," and it being the first guy in person he's asked out...) I'm more nervous and excited for him then jealous. Wish I could be there to video tape it for him. :grin:

I have to keep reminding myself, that he's been with me longer then anyone else. And I am the first guy he's been with more than once. So, I've got that going for me, I just can't be jealous if he wants to have a normal teenagers life too...

14. MrBrightside

He seriously does regret what he did, it made him realise what he has and that he doesnt want to lose me. He hasnt even kissed another guy since, and hes had plenty guys try every weekend. Hes only 19 and has never had a relationship. The gay culture here is so fucked up that its the norm for people to cheat and sleep around, its very rare to hear of any relationship that hasnt had cheating as a part of it.

Its not disregarding his actions, it was a case of weighing up the fact he makes me happy against the hurt he had caused, and to me the happiness of both of us came out above the short term effects of him cheating. It was definitely the right decision. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a second chance.

15. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

If it was the right decision for you, then by all means. It's your life. I would've kicked him out for good.

#15 HunGuy, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  16. zipitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. He lied to you. If you hadn't confronted him, he would have thought he got away with it. That means there's no trust, and you can't have a relationship without trust. Love and trust go hand-in-hand. You can't have love without trust.

You're right - a relationship can't be based on holding things against other people. But a relationship also has to be built on trust and compassion for your partner - obviously something he does not have towards you. HIV is downplayed heavily today, but it's still a lifelong virus that will eventually claim your life. It's not worth the risk being with someone who doesn't take it seriously, ESPECIALLY only being one month into a relationship.

---------- Post added 17th Mar 2015 at 01:09 PM ----------

Be careful dating someone under half of your age... I had an older friend trying to do this for years and it never worked - younger guys are in an entirely different playing field compared to you, even if you both recently came out. Not to say that you can't be a happy couple being 18/19 and 50... but eventually I have trouble seeing it work long-term (maybe you're not going for that). I get the sex appeal of wanting to be with younger guys, but the maturity divide is insane. My boyfriend is three years younger than me, and I definitely have trouble with our different levels of maturity. I could only imagine the gap being 25+ years.

Remember the adage - if you date someone significantly younger than yourself, make sure you leave them in equal or better condition if/when the relationship ends.

17. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been in a relationship for five months. We always use a condom, even though he got tested and I knew he was clean. Never in a million years do I think he would cheat on me, but by using condoms I can say that I was always safe.

You need to tell him that if he wants to have sex with you, you both have to be safe. Statically speaking you can only doge the bullet some many times before you catch something when going bareback. If you want the lowest risk of getting and STI/STD, then this is what you need to do.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, you're far more forgiving than I ever would have been. Bareback sex, with a random guy he just met, while he's in a committed relationship? I'm sorry, but this is someone who doesn't give a flying fuck about his own health or well being, or yours.

And the fact that he didn't show any real remorse and was annoyed that you wanted to use condoms tells me that, essentially, he's a selfish prick.

Honestly, I would tell him never, ever, ever will you have sex without condoms, or maybe not for at least 2 years.

Let's say you both get tested tomorrow. How do you know, if he's cheated once, that he isn't going to do it again, only be more careful so you don't catch him? Are you willing to (literally) bet your life and your health that you can trust him?

There's an old saying: fooled me once, shame on you. Fooled me twice, shame on me. Except in this case... if he fools you twice, you could die.

You deserve way better than this.

19. MrBrightside

Me and him had a long chat last night, and hes getting checked in the next week, then again in a couple of months and until then were going to stick to condoms. It was actually him that brought it up and insisted on all of that.

Its kinda complicated why i forgave him, hes never dated anyone, we had known each other a week and he was very drunk. He is sorry and i honestly dont think hell ever do it again. It was a wakeup call to him and he realised what he has.

I dont think hes being selfish, he was really cut up about it again last night. I actually know the guy he went with, and i would be very surprised if he had anything but im not taking chances and my boy woundnt let me take chances anyway. I think i really scared him with mentioning HIV and shiz, he had no idea about any of it.

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey MrBrightside,

As Chip mentioned above, this is someone who violated your trust. I know you love him, which is why you are not seeing things as clearly as you should.

I am amazed that in this day and age he had no idea about any of this, or the danger he put both you and himself in. As for knowing the guy he went with, let me tell you this and in no uncertain terms: NO ONE CAN GUARANTEE ANOTHER'S SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR. As a corollary, no one in a court of law can properly testify as to whether someone else is, or is not fooling around. I'm glad you are taking precautions anyway, that is wise.

Being drunk is no excuse either, being drunk simply means his inhibitions were compromised. In other words, he did what he really wanted to do (under the influence), alcohol makes it easier to ignore moral choices...

If you wish to stay with him, keep using the condoms indefinitely. The group with some of the highest rates of new HIV infections is composed of supposedly "monogamous" couples, to such an extent that current risk-factor analyses consider monogamous unprotected relationships as a risk factor for contracting Sexually Transmitted Diseases, and not only HIV.