1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexsomnia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BoiGeorge, Mar 23, 2015.

1. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have recently discovered that my boyfriend has sexsomnia.

"Sexsomnia is a newly identified and a rare medical condition whose sufferers engage in sexual behaviour during their sleep. Sexsomnia is a discrete alternative of sleepwalking called sleep sex that includes behaviours of sexual arousal with autonomic activation (e.g. erection and orgasms)."

Basically, he will have sexual intercourse with me up to the point of orgasm while he still 100% asleep. He wakes up and has no recollection of having sex and is genuinely confused by it all. I don't mind it at all and I actually quite enjoy it. But when I googled these symptoms I discovered that his condition has a name and it is a legit condition. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever heard of this happening? It definitely seems quite unusual that he can have sex with me to the point of orgasm while still asleep.

2. Sam I Am

Does he take Ambien or any other sleeping medication that can cause sleepwalking-type behaviors?

3. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He doesn't. He's never sleepwalked before. He's just really confused as to why this is happening

4. RainDreamer

Poor guy, having sex but not being concious to enjoy it.

And I read some cases about this behaviour before. It caused quite a lot of problems in sexual assault cases.
    There was a 9 years old girl who woke up in the middle of the night due to nightmare and sneak to her parent's bed, squishing herself between them. The dad had this condition, and normally, the wife doesn't mind it, they had healthy sexual relationship. This time though, it was their daughter, and the dad sexually touched her without being concious for it. It turned to big problems when 4 years later the daughter accused him of sexual assault.

There are cases for both men and women being in this condition. Here is another case I pulled off from a medical journal:

The reason for Sexsomnia is still not known, though there are several factors that may contribute to it, such as physical contact with another person in the bed, stress, fatigue, alcohol use, and drug abuse. Sleep deprivation has also been one of the common condition for triggering such action.

There haven't been a lot of study for this condition too, mostly it will be treated as another form of parasomnia. If you are worried, you should get your boyfriend to a doctor to have that checked out, there are medication available that may help.