1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting yourself from hate crimes

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Liz81, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Liz81

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi guys,

I don't know where exactly to put this thread so if this is the wrong place, then my apologies and I won't be offended if it gets moved to the appropriate place. :slight_smile:

I've done some googling around and all I can find is information on how to be safe when you're out in school, college campuses or if you're in a relationship and how to be safe if your partner is abusive. But I want to know how hate crimes can be prevented from someone who is GLBT. I know that if you're trans, you're at a higher risk because I've seen some info on Wiki (not most reliable source, I know) and see that a lot of trans people have been killed or attacked. I also know it can happen if you're gay, lesbian or bi. I just can't find information on how to protect yourself from getting beaten, stabbed or shot if you're GLBT, even when you're at home. I know this can happen to anyone and the world's not the safest place and you can't live your life in fear, wondering if you sit in your living room what will happen or if you're walking down the street what will happen. But if you're GLBT, I would think the risk of getting killed or attacked is higher. Of course, it may be higher if you're black, Asian or Jewish but over the many years, more and more people are becoming more accepting of black people and other people of different color but not as much when you're GLBT. I see all the info on Wiki and it's scary to know that if I'm out in the street or sitting at home, I could get killed for being lesbian if I let the whole world know about my sexual orientation.

So what do the GLBT do to help prevent getting shot at or attacked? Is it safe to go to gay pride parades or to be around in a GLBT-friendly neighborhood? How to be safe? What could those people already killed or attacked done to prevent those hate crimes from happening to them or is it possible to prevent it from happening? That kind of information I'm just looking for.

Thanks.

2. Really

I'm not sure how it differs from regular personal safety. Does it? If you are prepared to protect yourself then you're prepared.
    Look up home security suggestions. A police website might have this info. And check out self defence tips or classes.
    There must also be tips out there on how to verbally diffuse a situation. An lgbt resource centre's site might have some of this. Don't know of one specifically, sorry.

3. Liz81

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    True. I just know that the chance of seeing that kind of violence is higher if you're GLBT. What about you guys? Do you go out after dark or frequent neighborhoods where many members of the GLBT live? Do you worry about your safety there? Do you concern about anyone who comes into a gay bar? Because I know that some homophobic people can come in and pretend to be gay to lure a gay man and attack him. I'm not trying to scare anyone but I think we know how real this is. As I've googled on the issue, all I've seen is safety issues on college campuses and domestic violence. Domestic violence in relationships and safety on college campuses can also affect straight people too.