1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not eating properly i think

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by YunoGasai, Apr 3, 2015.

1. YunoGasai

i was in bed about to go to sleep and realized that it was 1am and i had not eaten anything since i woke up 9am.this has been happening most days for the past few months now and im wondering where my appetite has gone.i do remember that for one week i barley had a meal a day.the only time when i do eat well is when its already cooked by my dad but besides that i either dont eat or only eat toast since im on my own most of the week.
    are these behaviors bad or is this actually normal and i just ate too much before XD

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're eating far too infrequently, you should be eating at the very least 3 meals a day. If that sounds like too much right now, start by getting used to breakfast before school, and dinner perhaps around 6 PM. I don't know how much you eat every time you eat, but I'm also going to guess you're not getting anywhere near the amount of energy you need every day. You need that energy to perform your best at school, and in the future at work. Nutritionally you're definitely not getting much of value if you just eat once a day, and especially on the days you only eat toast.

Cooking doesn't seem to be your thing, so I suggest what I suggested in another thread. Cook for the entire week at once (or even more) and freeze it! It doesn't take a lot of time, especially if you just cook the same meal for every dinner. Buy frozen vegetables that you like that can be heated in the microwave at the same time you're heating up the rest of your food. Breakfast could consist of toast, and if you're not a vegan, and a glass of milk. If you're a vegan or do not like milk, drink a glass of calcium fortified fruit juice. The calcium is important for your bones because you're probably still growing. If you can squeeze it in, find a fruit you like and eat that for lunch. I'm aware that you're not used to eating this frequently, and sometimes eating this much can sound like a real challenge, but your mind and body will get used to it over time. :slight_smile:

Your appetite can be weakened a lot by stress, and can remain low after a period of stress if your body got used to simply eating once a day during the stressful period. I hardly ate at all when I decided I would transition, because I was so worried about coming out. It took a few of months to get back to healthy eating habits again, but I felt much better again once I was eating well. There could be other reasons for your appetite disappearing, but you would need to talk to your doctor about that if it remains a problem.

I'm glad you posted about this, instead of assuming eating like that isn't a big issue. Change can be really hard, and I know cooking for the entire week when before you didn't have to cook at all can be a difficult thing to adjust to, but you will feel a lot better when you eat well. Good luck! (*hug*)

3. itsmary

If you keep on doing this much time, you may get an illness!

Eat three times a day, you don't need A LOT of food, just eat something... I know what weakness feels like, and it's not pretty... You are going to be very tired and depressed if you don't eat enough... Your body needs it! Believe me!

4. YunoGasai

thanks for the reply :slight_smile:. ill try to eat more meals (bring it up to 2 for the start) just the cook for the week thing doesn't work since my dad barley restocks the food so we only have the essentials usually.
    and mary i do know the feeling of weakness and tiredness, i always linked that to my lack of sleep :/ guess now i know its something to do with my diet.

5. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bringing it up to 2 to start with is great! Could you ask your dad to buy what's needed for you to cook? Or even if he could prepare meals for you to eat while he's gone? It's his responsibility that you have healthy food to eat if you live with him! You're not supposed to live off of toast. :frowning2:
    What Mary said is true, if you don't get enough energy you will become depressed and lethargic, so it's definitely to do with your diet. Even if you only get toast at home, eating twice a day will at least help with this, even if it's not the healthiest of meals.

6. YunoGasai

so today i started eating a bit better by having 2 meals being a bacon cob in the morning and some cereal for dinner(still not the best though) when i said that we dont have alot of food i meant we dont have much variety so i have everything i need to make a decent diet bread milk eggs cheese bacon rice pasta ect... . ill try to work on it over the week :slight_smile:

7. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great job! Changing your eating habits can be difficult, and I'm really glad you're working on it! You should feel like you have more energy now that you have started eating a bit more, and the more you eat the better it gets. :slight_smile: You should really get some veggies in there for vitamins and some other nutrients, but if that's not possible, just eating enough will make a huge change in your mood and energy levels for now. You're at least getting calcium for your bones, protein for your muscles and carbs for energy. It's much better than just toast once a day! :eusa_clap

#7 HappyGirlLucky, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  8. YunoGasai

agreed. now its 2 days of eating more food, and i do feel like i have a little more energy :slight_smile: