1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange, Slightly Worrying, "Symptoms"

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Solo, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Solo

Hey everybody.
    Okay...I’ve never really cared about if I seem to have ‘similar symptoms’ to diseases or such, or if I suddenly get dizzy for no reason at all, or other things. I’ve always moved right on past whatever I think could be the reason. I never stop to check to see if something’s wrong, or if it’s normal, etc., etc. But, as I’ve been experiencing these[see below] more often and realizing they could be linked to something, I can’t help but begin to worry just slightly.

-Very little menstrual periods[sometimes 1 – 4 in a year, sometimes none at all in a year]
    -Some little insomnia[it takes me about...1 - 4 hours to go to sleep, nowadays]
    -Unusual exhaustion[I’m almost always tired. When I wake up I’m tired, and that’s probably normal. But it’s not just waking up. I go through my whole day exhausted. This happens every single day]
    -Short, sharp pains in chest[it hurts to breathe for a minute or so, but then it goes away]
    -Headaches[they last for hours and hours, and they pop up out of nowhere. No reason at all. No exposure to very loud noise, no stress, no worry, etc., etc.]

I don’t think all of these are tied together[if I DO have something, whatever it may be], though. I know I should talk to a doctor about this, but I HATE doctors...But if I really have to, I'll talk to one.
    So…Any help at all is very appreciated.

Thank you very much. =]

~S~

2. Gumtree

May I ask your height and weight?

It sounds like severe Anaemia and perhaps Hypotension.

3. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

The lack of your period could have to do with your age. It takes a few years before periods are regular.

The exhaustion is probably due to the fact that it takes you a few hours to sleep each night.

Not sure about the others...

4. White Sundog

If you're having a shortage of periods, it could be caused by (a) too low body fat, (b) low estrogen levels or high male hormone levels (actually, skipping periods due to too low body fat is a variation on this, because body fat produces estrogen), or (c) conditions of the uterus or ovaries that mess with fertility. For more detail, here's the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amenorrhea and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligomenorrhea

You can look up various conditions that cause loss of periods and see which ones might cause one or more of your other symptoms. The closest match I'm finding to all your symptoms is hypothyroidism:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothyroidism
    But that usually strikes in middle age. As other people suggest, there are many other possibilities that could cause those symptoms as well. Anyway, see a doctor and get it all checked out.

5. Mickey

I agree that you need to see a Dr. He/She will do bloodwork,etc. I'd like to suggest
    writing down your symptoms, prior to seeing the Dr.,so you don't forget anything.
    This is the best advice I can give. Good luck and let us know!

6. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Oh man. Why can't I have periods only four times a year? Ever since I started when I was 13, she comes like clockwork. 28 days and BAM! YOUR SOCIAL LIFE IS DEADZORS.

Most of what you described (with the except of the whole crimson tide dealio) is what I would call fairly normal for me. I'm right now on a non-sleeping bit. I just gave up trying to sleep after five hours of tossing and turning. Eventually I will be tired enough to sleep. As for the headaches, I get headaches like that for two reasons: low blood sugar or dehydration. Drink lots of water. (The tiredness can also be from these two things!)

As for the chest pain, I've never had any health problems with my occasional chest pangs. Just every now and then it hurts a bit.

I would say go to the doctor if you are SUPER worried, but otherwise the symptoms seem fairly normal of the ups and downs your body typically experiences.

(!) I'm a doctor, ya know. I watch House and everything. :lol:

7. MedGuy211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys, so I don't wanna step on the experts toes, and i won't be an MD for another 2 years.

But I would def see a Dr. even though you hate it. While irregular menses are common in teenage women, secondary amenorrhea (you had periods, but then they slowed or stopped) can be a sign of more serious health problems.

It's not my place to try and diagnose you over the internet. But, there are a number of possibilities, and also a number for treatments that could help with you symptoms. A Dr can run the tests and help you try and figure out your problem. I don't think this is the time to try and wait it out.