1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way to Tone body and Lose weight

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Revan, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I am 20 years old, six foot two and weigh 205 lbs. I am curious what's the best way to lose weight. I will admit I eat a lot of bread products, but it's difficult for me to leave it...I also work out daily on Wii Fit (I know its not the same) and am just wondering what the best way to tone my body is. I have a "spare tire" if you will and although its not like drooping over my pants or something like that it still is unappealing to me. My family too has been known for having heart disease, diabetes, etc, and I want to prevent this. Any suggestions? Also due to drinking dairy products my pectorals have formed more into slight...breasts as it were, their more pointed than flat...
    I have Asperger's syndrome and often eat and drink these food products because I consider them my comfort food, and don't really want to fully give them up if I can help it but I really want to be able to tone down my body, but I'm worried that the fat has built up like "spackle or paste" as they say in some of the weight loss pill ads. I obviously don't wanna resort to using lipo (not that I would, since it's a stupid idea -_-) but should I perhaps try some of the healthy weight loss supplements and work out more or is there something else you would suggest...

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Swimming.
    Swiiimmminnggg.

It is honestly the best way to lose weight. It doesn't hurt your ankle or knees like running can and you still get a great workout.

Otherwise, I'd say find something you enjoy. Just try as much as you can. Like last year I was doing yoga. Not my thing. Now I'm doing Choy Lee Fut kung fu and while it regularly kicks my ass, I love the challenge. I'm going to try out a membership at a gymnastics club tomorrow.

So yeah. Get out and try the free first classes. Also, get a workout buddy. Someone who wants to go. That's great motivation. But then again, I'm a people person. You might prefer to workout alone.

Healthy weight loss supplements don't really exist. But I drink green tea/coffee to curb my appetite at the beginning of the day. It is WAY cheaper than though pills that aren't properly regulated by any medical boards. Also, if you don't need your wallet, leave it at home. That way you can only eat what you brought with you for lunch and no junk food.

...I think I'm projecting a bit. I'm sorry. I've just been obsessing about my weight lately. These are things I'm doing.

Oh! And junk food wise, try getting sugar-free candies or naturally flavoured stuff. Dark chocolate lasts alot longer and is delicious. Watch your saturated fat intake. Eat protein. And to curb binging on those junk foods, vitamins! And water. And and...

I think I'm done.

3. Thatsit

Haha, I don't think I can post as long of a message as Numfarh did but I would suggest swimming too.

I've been going two or three times a week for a few months now and I can feel the difference.

The first few times will feel hard but they get easier. And the shower feels great afterwards.

If you don't like swimming I don't really know what else to suggest except just pay close attention to the foods you like to eat along with their nutrition facts. And if you are thinking about "just one more" cookie or what ever, try to stop yourself from having it.

Also, Drink water, and don't drink pop if you drink a lot of it. Also don't feel like you need to eat more just because you are exercising.

Hah, now i'm kina babbling on...but thats all I can suggest.
    (!)

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I also work out daily on Wii Fit (I know its not the same)...

Bullshit. I started on WiiFit six months ago, and doing only that and eating better for lunch, I've dropped thirty pounds. :slight_smile: Just do some pushing on the aerobics side of WiiFit. If you haven't started the "run" yet, go there. Do the short run a couple times a day, until you can do the medium run, and then the "island lap".

Lex

5. KaraBulut

Congrats!

6. Gumtree

No need to stop the dairy, diary products don't really contain that much fat and actually contribute to weight loss (especially in the abdominal region).

Although i would tone down on the bread, you don't seem to have too bad a diet so I would say that you eat excessive carbs instead of lipds.

Any cardio at all will benefit you, Wii Fit is great but it can be hard to do long workouts without getting too bored.

As stated before swimming would be best - start off with breaststroke going nice and slow for 300m and finish with 100m of freestyle - this will probably be a challenge to start with but swimming gets easier really fast. By 3 months you should be able to do a 500m butterfly set.

7. thespanishheart

Hey there (*hug*)

While you'll probably need to limit the breads and wheats, they're not bad in moderation. East smaller portions of them, and spread out the times which you eat them. In other words, don't gorge yourself on them. Spread it out.

Dairy is good for you! Make sure you're drinking low fat or fat free milk though. You should have several glasses of this per day --- I don't see drinking milk getting in your way.

The first thing you need to do is balance that diet. Get your proper servings from the food groups (or close to it) in your routine. Try to eat things with protein especially to help build muscle mass, and help it repair after exercise.

Exercise is a whole different issue. Running is a nice start, so is swimming, weights, etc. Everyone is different, so you'll need to "find your center."

I know I'm not particularly helpful in this kind of scenario, but I hope I've helped somehow.

8. Chris

Well, swimming, weight lifting, running, and possibly a sport. Also for those that recomend milk wouldn't that cause lactic acid to form in his muscles if his body is not used to the workouts??? Just asking.

9. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

go to the gym start a workout routine.
    ????
    = Profit

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay guys...I really thank-you for your help. Now I do have one problem with my balanced diet though that I really need advice on. I've been drinking a lot of fruit juices without sugar added, but other than that I will admit I don't get enough fruit. Ever since I was 10 (I'm 20 now, 21 in April) I have been unable to eat fruit without getting pains in my chest, like burning. I thought it was acid reflux thing is though I get it even from fruits like bananas which, although there is acid, it's not citric acid of course. Should I perhaps talk to my doctor about this? I know I should have by now but I've lived so far without actual fruit. Thing is I don't want to have to take antacid EVERY time I want to eat fruit. Could someone help me with this issue?

11. Astaroth

By all means, speak to your personal physician about the lack of fruit and what eating it does to you. There is likely to be a very sensible reason for it. Perhaps you are allergic to the sugar found most commonly in fruit (which isn't the same as sugar added to other products) or something like that. It's not unheard of. And there are easy ways around it.

Diet-wise, you want to try to move away from 3 things: fats (saturated and trans especially), sugars (drinks are notorious sugar killers... for instance Propel fitness water has sugar in it, yet it's 'water'), and enriched products (excessive amounts of white bread or pre-produced meals). If you keep those three in check and substitute in some veggies and fruits (if you can eat them later), you're well on your way to a very healthy diet that will also boost your metabolism and burn fat quicker.

Exercise-wise, start slow. There's no need to try to run the 5 kilo the first day. Doctors generally recommend short walking sets for people who really have no active exercise life at first. Keep a steady pace until you being to get short of breath and then slow down or stop to catch your breath before going on. Start small... 5 minutes of walking. And then add one minute a week until you hit at least 20 minutes. You can also space these minutes out throughout the day. They don't all have to be at once when you first start. The real goal, if you pursue a walking plan, is to eventually walk somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes each weekday. Walking and swimming (you can substitute swimming as several have said above) are the best ways to begin getting regular exercise for little or no cost. Also, if you can find a spinner cycle at a local gym, put it to use. Those things will burn away the fat quicker than you can cook a bag of popcorn. Okay... well, not THAT quick, but still...

Yeah, just try to have fun with it, keep it interesting. If you hate it, you're not going to continue doing it for long. Maybe try a new, exotic fruit/vegetable each week. Then you can look forward to 'that weird-looking red thing' next week and it'll keep you going. You can also vary your exercise times to shake things up. Early morning walks one week, later evening walks the next. When you shock your body with these minor changes, it has to learn to adapt each time and, as a result, keeps you from plateauing on your regime.

Good luck!

12. Gumtree

Oh gosh i can't remember the name of the condition but it's not so much to do with your stomach and lungs but as your oesophagus - one of my closest friends can't eat fruit of any form without getting severe pains.

Do you have problem with salad dressing and whatnot (meals containing vinegar)?

Definately see a doctor about this either way.

Fruit juice is a problem, a very common problem that most people don't even realise is a problem!

There's a simple solution!

1. Most obvious of all, change to 100% juices (fresh no reconstituted is best) these can be expensive.

2. Water down your juice - even if you change to fresh juices you should have a minimum of 1-part juice to 1- water.

3. Drink water - it's better for you anyway!

#12 Gumtree, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  13. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

If exercising by yourself is hard try and find a local exercise group, contact the local government agency cause they should have some information on groups like these.

Simple ways of exercising during your day would be to
    - Park the car as far away as you can and walk to your destination
    - Take the stairs as often as possible
    - Find any excuse to walk more

As far as dieting snacking is something you should definitely avoid at all costs. If you eat all three meals in the day you shouldn't need to snack. Also there is a saying in Germany about how to eat and its "Eat like a King at breakfast, Eat like a nobleman at lunch and eat like a peasent at night" Eating a small dinner (breads cheeses a bit of salad) is better for you because we don't usually use the energy after dinner. If eating a small dinner is hard try and eat as early as possible to make sure you can burn the energy off.

That's all I know about dieting
    Good Luck

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>As far as dieting snacking is something you should definitely avoid at all costs. If you eat all three meals in the day you shouldn't need to snack.

Oddly, current CW says that it's in fact important to snack during the day. Apparently, it keeps your metabolism higher, and so helps you burn more calories during the day. (I actually don't do much, and I get a lot of grief for that.) The key thing to "smart snacking" is to 1. find out what low-calorie snacks appeal to you, and then 2. surround yourself with those. So what floats your boat? Snap peas? Pretzels? Carrot sticks? Whatever they are - and you might want to pick at least two, so you get a choice - always make sure they're available at home. If you're prone to snacking at work, make sure you have something available there, too.

Oh, and since I missed this one last time...

>>>...perhaps try some of the healthy weight loss supplements...

No such thing.

Lex

15. sdc91

If I'm hungry and I shouldn't be eating, I drink water or eat an apple.

And when I go out to eat, I used to have the habit of eating everything because I paid for it (so I may as well eat it all). But if you just eat half and box the rest, you get two meals for the price of one. I do that if the meal is particularly big or unhealthy.

Oh, and I also think about how many calories I'd have to run off. 1 mile burns about 100 calories for me, so if I'm thinking about having a burger from McDonald's... that's an extra 3.8 miles. So I think about that then decide I'm too lazy, and I feel better later when I don't eat it. lol

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm not really a big salad person, I just can't get use to the bland taste, and I dislike salad dressings so I suppose that kind of takes that out... But I see where you all are coming from. I think I need to mainly speed up my metabolism because as it is now, all the food i eat goes "to my hips" as it were and I'll admit I dislike it quite a bit.... It's not overly bad that I can't see my toes when standing, I can see them easily, but I just hate seeing this flab on my body...because as conceited as this sounds...it's not like I can go to the clubs with my shirt off. Or more importantly, I wear a shirt when I go to the beach because I'm embarrassed...

17. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

This.

We have a fresh fruit and veggie organic market around the corner from where I live. I just buy a package for a snack and devour. I think I'll do that for lunch today.

18. Gumtree

Healthy Eating Guides reconment a 2 portion breakfast, 5, 1 portion snacks and a 3, portion dinner. A portion varies depending on the food - for meat it's a steak (of any meat) the size of your palm, a solid fitfull of any fruit or veg or a small handful of anything else.

It's true that snackign reguarly on an array of DIFFERENT foods is very beneficial - it does keep your metabolism working faster - keeps you full of energy, hydrated and full.

You said before that you're not a big salad eater - mainly because you don't enjoy dressings and you find them bland. If this is the case then I don't think you have tried many salads! A salad is defined as any meal with a base of rawr fruit or vegetable. You can add anything to a salad to make it way more exciting, any types of cheeses, nuts, meats, exotic fruits or vegetables of any sort, sauces, croutons, pasta/rice - you name it and it's been in a salad!

No use giving you a list of thing that you 'should' eat because we don't know your financial status, like and dislikes etc but one thing i definately promote is eating dark/oily fish for snacks. Tuna, Bass, Pink Codd etc are one of the best foods you can eat when trying to loose weight.

It's hard to say no bread or carbs at all - there's no use trying to eliminate them from your diet at this stage, but what you can do is prioratise WHEN you eat them! The earlier you eat them the better.

19. Gumtree

*cringes*

If you're hungry - eat.

If you're trying to loose weight and your diet leaves you hungry then it's not going to work.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>And when I go out to eat, I used to have the habit of eating everything because I paid for it (so I may as well eat it all).

Ditto. I started skipping at least the last bite of everything. Yes, even cheesecake. (That one's tough.) I consider it my offering to the diet gods. :slight_smile: How do I make sure I skip it? When I get to the last bite, I stop and pour salt on it.

Lex