1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masochism Thread

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jellal, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Jellal

Can someone please explain to me their thoughts on/experiences with masochistic behaviors, and masochistic sexual practices? I would like to read other peoples' takes on it, why it appears to be a common "trait" or "kink" for us humans.

Personally, I don't like being in pain. Masochists are supposed to like pain, right?

Pain and pleasure exist on a spectrum, as opposites (I'd think) ... where do the lines cross?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only mild pain.. a bit of spanking, maybe some hot candle wax on my stomach.. :wink:

3. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I would like to add a bit of choking, handcuff, hair-pulling, some ropes
    But no fistfuck :eek: or leather, or whip (too corny)

4. Im Hazel

I have no experiences. But I think that I would like most of the things. I draw the line at pain inflicted on erogenous zones or things causing long-term damage. I like the idea of being burned, cut, whipped, tied up, gagged, pegged (though I don't like girls or being dominant, so that seems like a no), "fisted" or things like that. Hair pulling is a no, because I really like my hair, and hair pulling is super-painful for me. I mean, I was run over, and it was less painful than my mom brushing my hair. Leather, not so much. I like flesh & the idea of wearing lacy stuff myself too much to introduce that. Also, masks are just weird. I don't get that bit at all. I also dislike the idea of "tickle torture", which just seems plain weird to me. I can't derive any pleasure at all out of that, let alone sexual pleasure. Scat and urine are a bit too far for me too. And I would never do anything like cutting in real life, because that is really dangerous. "Predicament bondage" is a maybe, as most of the situations seem to describe things which I have already said no to - especially trauma to erogenous zones. Medical play also seems weird.

I don't know why it is a thing I am interested in - I just started fantasising about being tied up and slapped and it progressed from there. My contribution is probably a little useless as I have never tried any sex, let alone something like that. As for society as a whole, I think it's prevalent at the moment because it is cool - 50 Shades of Grey et al have really sold the idea to many. More generally though, I think it is an obsession with the taboo.

5. Theron

My husband and I are mildly into the BDSM scene. He likes to be tied up and spanked, and I love to be scratched bloody and have my hair pulled. Biting goes, too. To each their own.

6. LaEsmeralda

I always liked the idea of knife play but I think it's too risky :confused: I wouldn't like giving the control of the blade to somebody else.

7. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't consider myself a masochist, but occasional biting and hair pulling can be kinda hot.

8. KayJay

I'm quite into practicing bdsm and related kinks. It started off with simple bondage and now I'm starting to try things like blood play. I don't know why people like it, there's probably lots of reasons.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a sadist and some sort of pseudo-masochist. I kind of like some types of physical pain, to various degrees. In some situations I'm definitely an emotional masochist. I've experimented with masochism because I'm a thrillseeker and naturally curious about what I've put people through. I'm obsessed with sadomasochism. To the extent that I've backtracked the history of their use as medical terms and read books by Wilhelm Stekel.

So, masochism, in a sexual context. I feel pain and pleasure around the same time. To put it simply, I don't enjoy the initial feeling of pain, but I love the rush that quickly follows. Ideally, there's a build up, so my pain tolerance increases. I eventually sink into some comfortable abyss. It's a bit of a pain, to return to earth, but I usually still feel pretty good, for a while.

In a more general sense... I've always sought intensity, be it in films, music, sex and many other things. With that said, I still hate stubbing my toes!

Masochism might seem almost entirely counterproductive, but it can provide an advantage in some situations. I find it interesting that masochism is apparently more common in women than men.

10. Jellal

I think I get what you're saying ... pain can be enjoyable when you're actively seeking it out, which is why something like stubbing your toes isn't going to be giving you any kind of rush.

Since this seems to be a topic you're interested in, feel free to drop me some messages on the subject anytime. Anything you can share would be valuable to me. I'm trying to learn more about masochism since I'm a novice writer and I've noticed that a character of mine has some undeniably masochistic qualities. I want to flesh that trait out more.

11. Verb

I like the idea of giving and receiving mild pain.

I don't know why I'm into it but I always have been. I remember when I was 12 or so, I stepped on a guy's hand (he was trying to steal my friend's change - jokily) and I got satisfaction from that, partly cos he was a jerk I didn't like anyway. And before that aged 11, I slapped my first boyfriend hard across the face (for no reason) and he slapped me right back. Gave me quite a rush. Those experiences made me realise that I enjoyed giving/receiving pain. When I get piercings or tattoos, it's the same. I enjoy it: the pain isn't just an unpleasant side effect for me but an important part of the experience.

It's taken me a long time to accept that side of my sexuality though and I used to feel really guilty about it. This is the first time I've actually talked about it, aside from joking with my ex about handcuffs, spanking, etc.

It isn't a 'must' in a sexual relationship though, just something I'd be interested in with the right partner.

12. Cam65

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im not into masochism............ well i could handle being tied up, but nothing else

13. love doll

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only a very tight possessive grip on fingers wrists arms ankle or a cruel hard squeeze on the two oranges or a bite on thigh. Just in token of complete submission to him ... feeling yourself to be his doll ... at his mercy ... completely helpless ... I enjoy that much ... and nothing els ...

14. Kat 5

You can do some crazy stuff with ducktape...

15. nohalos

[​IMG]

A little biting, pulling on hair, tying to bed.......

I don't mind getting a little... you know. :icon_wink

16. Lazuri

It's actually quite simple; sex is a lot about making you feel alive and both pleasure and pain are ways to feel alive. Why settle for one?

17. Jellal

Because pleasure feels good, and pain hurts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think recently I've had an epiphany. It seems to me that some pains, if they're done just right, actually register in my brain as "pleasure." I've always told myself that I hate pain ever since I was scared to death of getting shots as a kid. But now it's "not all pain."

Deeper masochism though, pursuing heavier pains, means feeling something more intense I think than getting pains to register as pleasure. And I think it gets closer to what some of you have posted in respect to how "alive" it can make you feel.

18. Lazuri

Your pain threshold raises significantly during arousal, so it becomes less pain and more of that alive feeling, which I suppose the brain can translate as pleasure.

19. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wonder what the roots of masochism are though? Like, do you think people are born masochists, or, is it something that anyone can come to enjoy? Or, is it people's environment that causes them to be masochists?
    I think it's a lot different than sexual orientation because, it's a way of expressing sexuality, rather than who you are just inherently attracted to.
    But, I feel inherently attracted to mostly dominate people, so does that mean I was born as a masochist as well as being born with my sexuality?

20. PrettyinPunk

That is an interesting question. Maybe it's a bunch of factors all mixed together. I'm definitely a bit of masochist maybe slight sadist but unsure on that last one. I realized early on through some nonsexual and accidental incidents that pain could equate to pleasure, at least for me. And anytime I saw any BDSM related act I always felt curious and intrigued. I used to be a little embarrassed about this cause I thought it was abnormal in a 'sick' kinda way. I don't feel this way now.

As to why I get off on pain, I don't have a clue. Its not like I try to inflict pain on myself as I go through my day. I know I'm really into biting whether it's sexual in nature or not. I'm pretty sure hair pulling is good but only if in a sexual manner. My hair though shorter, is sensitive and I would not appreciate it just being randomly tugged on.

I wasn't ever physically mistreated, but I've always been fond of rough play. I also have a naturally high pain tolerance. My brain is a little donked up, so maybe it's a bit of a psychological thing too. I'm sure it plays at least a small part. Maybe it's a mix of how your mind processes certain 'painful' things then registering them as pleasurable to the body. Which then would release endorphins dulling the pain and increasing the good feelings. Hmm I need to look up the exact science on this subject!:eusa_thin