1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haven't had my period in 4 months?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ravienclaw, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For a while I was on birth control to try and balance out my irregular periods. I took it for about a year and it helped a lot, and I was still regular for a few months after I got off of it.
    But now it seems to have just stopped completely. Usually I just instinctively know I'm going to get my period the day I get it, but I've had 3 days that I thought I was gonna get it but I didn't.
    Sometimes I get this weird dull pain in the left side of my lower abdomen that feels kind of like period cramps, but obviously it's not. Has this happened to anyone else before?
    Should I just ignore it or should I go to a doctor? :/ (I'm terrified of doctors)

2. bi2me

I'd probably go to a doctor. I had a time like that and they put me on a medicine to get me started again. I see you are a lesbian, but any chance of pregnancy?
    Good luck!

3. LaEsmeralda

Go to a doctor at least for peace of mind, and don't try to diagnose yourself on the internet, you'll end up thinking you have cancer or something.

If you had irregular periods before maybe this is just your body settling back into its old habits? Stress, changes in diet and things like that can alter your cycle. I wouldn't worry about it or the pain for now, but book a doctors appointment so they can check things out.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It could be stress or a side effect of being on birth control for too long. Have you stopped recently? I haven't had a period in almost two years (still on birth control) and my doctor said if I decide to stop taking it, it will take a while for it to come back and be a lot harder to conceive.

5. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once in the summer I didn't have my period for around 3-4 months. I was starting to worry irrationally that somehow I was either pregnant or extremely unhealthy, near death. (I was at overnight camp in the last month of it so I had no internet). I felt pretty healthy. I was really confused as to how I could have possibly gotten pregnant, as a lesbian virgin with little exposure to boys. I thought that I might have been raped in my sleep. I started to get kind of freaked out. I had half-convinced myself that I was terribly unhealthy and dying and half-convinced myself that I was pregnant, and then my period came. Don't stress about it. I am sure that you will get your period sooner or later.

6. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would definately see your gynocologist about this. When I was on the mirena though my periods stopped altogether except occasional spotting which is normal with that. Birthcontrol can mess with your period especially the longer you are on it. So it is entirely possible that it is your birthcontrol. Still, I would talk to the doctor to make sure. And your doctor and you may decide it's best to switch your dosage or try alternative birthcontrol.

7. Hiems

Once you rule out pregnancy with a negative test, there are numerous underlying causes of amenorrhea. It can even be idiopathic.

I would just seek a OB/GYN to rule out whatever caused menses cessation.

8. Cesar123

Your amenorrhea is most likely caused by being off contraceptives. It takes some time for your body adjust and its not uncommon for some to go as high as up as 8 months! I would still recommend seeing a doctor as anything past 3 months is something to get checked out. Are you exercising/weightlifting? Are you under stress? These can also play some factors. It can really be a lot of things...

9. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for all your answers :astonished:
    I'm a virgin and on top of that I've only ever been with girls, so there is definitely no chance of pregnancy. I suppose stress could be a factor. School's been pretty rough lately... I think I'm just going to wait it out and if I still don't get it I will bring it up with the doctor.

10. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had this happen to me. It is not uncommon for me to miss a month here and there, however on two separate occasions I went 4&6 months with out one.

11. HelloSweetie

I had about three months without a period once, my gynaecologist told me it's not that unusual and nothing to be worried about. If your periods are generally irregular it would probably be worth your while seeing your doctor to look into potential underlying causes, just for peace of mind.